15 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2016 11:48 AM by phctourist RSS

OK, Destination Amenity fee ??

falcon71 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hello - please help me !

what is now this - Destination Amenity fee ?

I have 2 bookings at a regular Marriott hotel, not a resort - now month after the reservation i see this Destination Amenity fee $34 and $51

haha ? what do i get for that fee ? do plats have to pay ? resort fee and Destination Amenity fee - its that the same but for not for resorts

soon we will have get a bed in room fee

all the best from sweden

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: OK, Destination Amenity fee ??
    insertcoffee Platinum

Napa Valley and some Hawaii props come to mind for this fee.

Did your booking receipt show the fee at the time of your confirmation?

Is the property a resort or a spa location? It would be helpful to know the property to be better able to help.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

falcon71 Platinum

its marriott stanton south beach

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Destination amenity fee? Resort fees are bad enough but at least we know that resorts are likely to charge them. But a destination Amenity fee is a sneak-charge-bait-and-switch, and is disgraceful.

I do particularly note that this is at the Stanton SoBe as I stayed there in April and posted a lengthy review of it here Miami Beach My stay was excellent, it's a beautiful property right at the Southern end of SoBe. But I did in my review raise the issue of Resort status as it was undergoing improvements to meet the Marriott resort standards which are more than one pool, at least 3 restaurants, no doubt amongst others. So at considerable cost they converted their one large pool at the rear to 2 small twin pools. While we were there they were in the process of constructing the extra restaurants, a Mexican and a Sushi bar. It seemed to me the conversion of a good sized pool to two tiny twins and the addition of a sushi bar (being the smallest restaurant concept) was to try and squeeze into Marriotts resort definition, enabling them to close down their lounge and charge a resort fee. Now it looks like Marriott inspectors have refused to classify the box-ticking changes as a resort thus nixing Stanton's cunning plan, so Stantons management has come up with this "destination amenity fee" - Outrageous!

Marriott needs to tell this hotel to abandon the fee, as far as I'm aware sneak-fee-bait-and-switch is forbidden (other than for resorts). This practice demeans Marriott and if it doesn't stop it right now this con-artist fee will spread like a cancer. Let's face it if SoBe as a destination can charge the fee, then so can Bournemouth and Cap D'Ail, and surely NY, DC, London, Paris, Moscow, Berlin etc, etc are destinations.

Marriott needs to stamp this fee out, right now!

erc Platinum

Boy, and I thought I was going to lay low and just enjoy the Tipple get together. Whereas I'm appreciative of the thoughtful event hosted by the loyalty team and therefore don't intend to bring a skunk to the garden party, it's these types of shenanigans that really test the loyalty of long term customers: AAA and Senior rates being higher than exact same room rates; additional room rates charges finally shown as you're about to book, (Punta Islita and a couple of others I experienced during my hiatus) classified as fees thereby not even earning points to add insult to injury; $200+ dinners at Ritz not earning points (yes, I knew beforehand, but it still burns); "from" prices that can often only be found once and that's on a snowy Wednesday with 90 degree temperature after a rainbow; painedplatinum pricing aggravations; etc, etc, etc and now this, amenity fees, in my case added AFTER my March 23, 2016 reservation for February 2017.

And yes, insertcoffee as a Marriott lifer who lives in the weeds of the Marriott Matrix, I have my original reservation which shows no charge, but does (as they always have) shows the infamous qualifier:

RATE GUARANTEE LIMITATION(S)
        Changes in taxes or fees implemented after booking will affect the total room price

Previously, this was almost exclusively a painless boilerplate protection, but now we've entered a whole new arena, one of dynamic pricing, certainly not accruing to the "loyal" customers benefit.

But fear not Marriott Loyalty Team, I come in peace (and you don't even have to say, "Klaatu barada nikto" ) Look it up millennials, you target audience, you.

And now to prepare for our lovely get together, I'll return to my original peaceful state. See you soon. As always, keep on keepin' on Insiders, your friend and mine - erc

... cat shows Changes in the weather Medicating the cat Restricted access
      ps - like the MegaBonus e-mail, I am a robot and will not respond, so please don't be offended - See you in Houston

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Someone poked the BEAR and glad to have erc chiming in and looking forward to finally meeting the ole chap in six days!!!  In true erc fashion, well said.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Wow, erc has reappeared, for one thread only, but nice to know you're lurking...

These con-artist add-on fees are certainly something I'll be talking with Marriott reps about. The Marriott Stanton SoBe is a great hotel but it's small, even as a Hotel, this box-ticking excersise "doth not a resort make" and I'm pleased that, by the looks of it, Marriott has nixed that wheeze. Marriott needs to nix this one too. It has no place in a reputable company and the Stanton needs to be told this. Pure principle means I certainly won't return while this bait and switch con artist fee persists, even though I had an excellent stay there (sans the fee) in Spring. The fee says the hotel is run by con-artist charlatans and it rubs off on the brand that allows a franchisee to sully its reputation so.

insertcoffee Platinum

Thanks for the additional background on this property, brightlybob. Glad falcon71 responded to my request for location.

Clearly two tiny pools and a sushi bar do not a resort make.   If this was a 'true' resort, I'd have less heartburn about a resort fee, but this seems more a franchisee trying to find a way to wring more cash from guests-- and from erc's post, it looks like something that can be tacked on, perhaps with little knowledge to the guest ahead of time.

Resort fees I can understand, while of course, not loving; this, however, smacks of something not particularly transparent, an unwanted surprise with the booking.

Added this property to the running AVOID list.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

A fee by any other name ...

I've got a points redemption in March in Hawaii at the "new" Autograph property, Koloa Landing on Kauai. No "resort fee," no "destination ammenity fee," but there is a daily "service charge" of $32.

fee.PNG

Admittedly, $181.47 is a pittance compared to what I'd be paying had I not redeemed points. I'm sure this fee is tacked on to those who pay cash as well. Time to drop all the add-on fees (well, parking I can sort of understand in some places), and just include them in the quoted rate.

Let's have some truth in pricing.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Have never before heard he term amenity fee but assume it is the resort fee. Any additional fees I have paid whether on points or paying has always been in the reservation at booking. The only time it has changed for me is when the local tax rates have changed . If this is a new way of doing business this will be an incentive for people to look elsewhere. Yes Marriott should clamp down on these actions

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Money grab, cash grab.....even worse.  The hotel must feel that they are at the top of the competitive pricing bracket for their area. If they included this "fee" in the room rate, they'd turn away customers. So, let's be tricky??  Tricky gets people mad. When people get mad, they can let the one item causing their anger to overwhelm all that is good with the property and even the brand.

These are the types of issues where folks start staying away on principle.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Well said.  At least with the airlines, you can still get to your destination if you don't take any of the extras.  You can't stay in the room that you paid for unless you pay the fee.

mustanggt Platinum

These types of antics can tarnish the great reputation that Marriott has.  Marriott needs to take issues like this seriously and stop them dead in their tracks.  The franchisee that owns this particular property needs to be reeled in.  With all the choices there are for hotels in the Miami area, I certainly would avoid this one on principle until they get their pricing structure under control.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hey falcon71!

We've been looking into this one, and learned that the Destination fees are similar to resort fees. The fee and amenities offered differ by property. One example is the Marriott Valley, which offers culinary garden tours, yoga classes, spa access, bike access, bottled water replenished in rooms daily, daily vintner pour, and wireless high speed internet. Hope that helps clear up some of your questions!

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I appreciate the reply and attempting to reason the destination charge, fee etc (whatever they want to call it) but those items of garden tours, spa usage, yoga classes, etc. all require additional payment for any services rendered. Platinum and gold members get bottled water (from the lounges) and free wireless internet anyway so what else can be construed from that being part of the fee other than that Marriott has now found a way to get us to pay for the services we've been given for all the loyalty that got us to elite status.

I agree that previous posters are dead right with their angry commentary...this is NOT the way to treat those that have been so loyal. It's a backhanded slap to us. We are smart enough to recognize this for what it is....cash grab, money grab (as painedplatinum) says. Not good.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Sounds like another rip off!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...