7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2016 7:44 PM by jerryl RSS

Cancellation Penalties

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

About twenty months ago there  was a lot of discussion, on this site, regarding the day notice requirement for cancelling a reservation.  One issue that was not discussed was  "Why should there be any fee if the room ends up being rented for the night".

I have no objection being charged if I cancel on short notice and the hotel loses a night's rental.

I do think that it is unreasonable for the hotel to rent the room to someone else and still bill me for the night. I would even be happy if the Government outlaws the policy of re-renting as room and still charging a cancellation fee.  I wouldn't even object to a longer cancellation notice requirement if the fee only applied to rooms that were not re-rented.

I'd be very surprised if Marriott makes such a change but the surprise would be a pleasant one.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Cancellation Penalties
    jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

this is a good one point. If i were to cxl or tried cxl and the hotel would not waive the fee, i would probably word it differently. Id tell them i would try to make it, that way they are forced to keep the room unsold or risk having to walk me and pay for my stay. (if its a 1 nighter) I dont think they would care though unless they are sold out or oversold.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Tough to administer unless totally sold out . Was your room the you used or another vacant room

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

I was about to make exactly that comment but your mind is quicker than mine.

How do you demonstrate that the room you reserved was actually rented? Unless the hotel was 100% booked and then you cancelled and then they added someone else then there is no proof that your room was rented. In fact, it could be argued the other way. If the hotel has 100 rooms and 90 are reserved, you cancel, and then 2 people come in late so they actually rented 91 rooms the hotel could argue that had you not cancelled they would have rented 92 rooms.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Exactly my point so to me if they spell out the rules so be it . I do think as others have mentioned if you have status and call they will wave the fee

ron1012 Platinum

I have, since this policy was implemented, needed to cancel within the 24 hour period and have never been penalized.  I have always called the property and explained and the reason for the short notice cancellation and they canceled without penalty.

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

I recently had to cancel less than one day. I was told Plats are not subject to the one day cancelation policy-its 6m day of arrival. If the cancelation is more than one day, Plats are subject to penalty. That said, I still have gotten help there when needed.

bazzap Platinum

Certainly for the most recent booking I made only last Friday, with check in on  October 26, the confirmation email stated

"You may cancel your reservation for no charge until 06:00 PM hotel time on Wednesday, October 26, 2016."

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...