80 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2016 9:10 AM by Sledchick RSS

The TIPPLE TITBITS thread

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

So here we are, it's September 1st and that as we all know is TIPPLE month. Yes folks in just 2 weeks a couple of dozen of us will journey our way across the USA, Canada and the Atlantic to meet together and become the "live and in person" version of Marriott Rewards Insiders - for 2 days only!

So I've set up this thread to bring forth your TIPPLE TITBITS, whether you're attending or not, what do you want to say to us, to each other, or share some useful info, whether about TIPPLE itself or some Marriott travel stuff.

How about your plans for TIPPLE, when are you arriving? Collecting miles from the flight, or simply driving the miles? TIPPLE is about sharing, sharing MRI, sharing ideas, sharing experiences, and here's the place to be involved in our TIPPLE whether you're joining us or not...

And so I'll begin, my TIPPLE TITBITS...

1. Titbit in English, is referred to as tidbit in America and is a very small example of our two countries "separated by a common language" - and that in itself is a titbit, for a titbit/tidbit is a small piece of interesting information.

2. Built in 1910 the original building now occupied by the JW Houston Downtown was at 16 floors the tallest building in Texas. Unsurprisingly, it no longer holds that record despite, more surprisingly, adding 6 more floors during the 1920's and later still, a penthouse. So those of you on the 17th floor or above, appreciate that you're in the extension!

image.png

Spot the difference!

image.jpeg

3. I will be arriving at the JW Houston on Thursday 15th September and hope to sample it's lounge and provide all you TIPPLERS (and lurkers too) with one of my lounge rundowns, so attendees will know what to expect and non-attendees what they're missing.

Now, to you fellow MRI'ers, share a few of your titbits...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Houston, Texas, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Houston Downtown
  • Re: The TIPPLE TITBITS thread
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Let's see what (interesting) facts I can add. I'll even follow your rule of three (others don't need to do so unless they so desire ).

1. Another definition of tidbit is a small piece of tasty food. This is quite appropriate as Marriott is proving food at the reception they are hosting on Saturday evening. There will a little more than just tidbits, so don't plan on eating a large meal before you arrive.
    2. As a county collector, I offer a little history on counties of Texas as it pertains to Houston. Houston is the county seat of Harris County, one of the original 23 counties in Texas created in 1836. This was 9 years before Texas joined the United States as the 28th state. In 1836 the area had just gained its independence from Mexico to become The Republic of Texas. Over the years, those original 23 counties have divided, so there are now 254, the most of any state in the USA. During the course of four trips (since 2013), I've managed to visit 127 counties (exactly 50%). This trip will add around 40 more (brightlybob will join me for about 25 of those as we head to Corpus Christi, the Rio Grande Valley, and San Antonio).
    3. As for my arrival plans. I'll be flying into HOU (not IAH, sorry IAHFLYR) the morning of September 16. Since I have time, I'm driving down to Galveston as part of my county collecting. I'm making a special trip as I have time, and would otherwise miss it (based on the routes I have planned out). I anticipate arriving at the JW mid to late afternoon on Friday and look forward to meeting those also arriving Friday. Of course the real action doesn't begin until Saturday evening.

Good topic my friend. I'm looking forward to what others will add.

See you there.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Well done bejacob, not only have you stuck with the three titbits, but you've also adhered to my format, a titbit about titbits, a titbit about Texas and a titbit about your Tipple plans. Like wesleywc, you're quite the overachiever

To all those that follow, such adherence to my example is most definitely NOT required! Any titbit and any number of titbits are welcome...

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

An outstanding thread and one which should set the stage for a very fun time in H-Town!!

Of course having been tagged as one of the Insider "rabble rousers" by erc long ago I cannot imagine following any adherence to a format regarding a tidbit.  More than likely there might be more little known yet useless information coming from this keyboard.

Such as, just remember bejacob IAH in north Houston suburbia chatter is "It Ain't Hobby" and with many more options of getting into downtown using such routes as:

• The Hardy Toll Road from IAH south into downtown via Hardy St. after the toll road ends......not the prettiest route but usually the fastest
    • Hardy Toll Road from IAH to Loop 610 east to HWY 56/69 south into dowtown exiting Jackson St.
    • Beltway 8 east to HWY 59/69 south into downtown exiting Jackson St
    • Beltway 8 west to I-45 south into downtown exiting Milam St.

IAH is a fairly large airport yet easy to find your way around:

• If you checked luggage ask where your baggage claim is as United baggage claim is in Terminal C regardless if you arrive into Terminal C, D or E.  United Express baggage claim will be in Terminal B regardless if you arrive into Terminal A or B.  International flights on United Express baggage claim will be in Terminal E inside Customs and Immigration.  Confusing, maybe a little so ask the gate agent at the top of the jetway to make sure.
    • If renting a car hop on a bus to the Rental Car facility and off you go.  Ask if you're not sure of your directions.

Once into downtown almost every street will be ONE WAY so plan you route to the JW before hand.

My arrival plans, no FF Award used, no First Class upgrade received, just a 30 minute ride on the Hardy Toll Road from The Woodlands.  Drove it both ways yesterday to the Astros game (GO STROS) at 1145 AM 30 minutes, after the game at 4 PM, 35 minutes.  Hope I don't get lost.

Since it was mentioned earlier, "The Republic of Texas" does take U.S. Dollars with an exchange rate of 1 to 1.

Sorry brightlybob for going slightly off the rails here, just a preview of what you might find when we meet.

You're very welcome to go off-piste with info about IAH and getting around H-town. Useful stuff, IAHFLYR

seatexan Platinum

I'll arrive Friday, driving in.  I wish I got driving mileage awards!  I am hoping around 4 or 5.  No plans but get something to eat! I'll be starving! I would really like to check out the wine place IAHFLYR mentioned. Also it would be fantastic to meet with many of you before the Saturday gathering.

Saturday is shopping day with pluto77 if she is still down. And maybe Mrs. Iahflyer...all are welcome!

I have not been in downtown Houston for a while.  I'm looking forward to seeing all the changes.  I worked across the street from the JW in 2007 and 2008. Hmmm I wonder if my parking access card still works at 1001 McKenny street!  Must test...

I was just looking up some places that I used to visit downtown and I learned that the Foley's/Macy's was demolished!!!  Nooo!  The escalators were amazing!  That was in 2013.  I'm so behind!

Stoked for this TIPPLE MRI meet up! 

Testing your parking card might be a good idea. If I'm not mistaken, parking at the JW is $36 a night. At least they gave us a great Insider rate.

seatexan Platinum

Is that valet?  Or self park? Yeah the room rate is great! 

The $36 is Valet...however; I offer a flat $30/day rate with in and out privileges in my garage as long as one of our cars is out!!!! OH wait, that is some 35 miles from the JW.

SeaTexan I know there are much better spots for a bit of food downtown other than La Carafe so we should figure that out in the next week or so! 

From what I saw on the hotel page, valet parking. Self parking is not listed, so it may not be available.

Jsucool76 Gold

Self parking is always available on the street. What you do is roll up for street parking...

if there's no spots available...pick a random car, call AAA, tell them your car broke down. Have them tow the random car away, leaving a space open for you to park.

Note: i do not recommend anyone do this.

Now you're giving away my parking secret, Jsucool76...

IT does actually work as long as you've "any-car" membership... Or shouldn't I say that?

Jsucool76 Gold

If you wanna save even MORE money, use the free roadside assistance that may be included with your visa signature/infinite, world/world elite mastercard, or american express card.

fistuk Platinum

Guys,

Those TIPPLE promos you've been posting recently only depresses me , as I know I will have bad feelings and regrets if I won't be able to attend eventually (still can't tell and crossing my fingers...).

If I will attend, hopefully, I'll be arriving on the 15th as well and probably staying for 3 nights only, as I have a friend visiting London in the same week and I'd like to get back in time to see him. Not very optimal, I know, but I guess the guy upstairs decided that if he's going to give me a hard time about this than he'll do it through all the way...

brightlybob, you should cross your fingers too, as you may have some nice company to spend Thursday evening with

Some nice company to spend the Thursday evening with, eh, fistuk so is SeaTexan arriving early now?

But, yes, it would be fab to meet up with you on the Thursday, although, gosh, thats a long way for a weekend only...

seatexan Platinum

I will be in Friday around 4ish... I'm driving to Houston today so I'll time it.  It takes about 3.5 to 4 hours for me to get there.   Meeting Thursday would be great but alas! I have work! 

Definition of WORK.....it is a four letter word!

I do think you can self park in the garage which is on Rusk St. about 1/2 down the block (same block as the hotel)  just before you make the turn on Main St. where the JW is located.  I would certainly call the hotel to verify that however.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Mr.RazorbackFan (aka bikin chris) and I will be arriving Friday afternoon.  We plan on stopping at Pappasito's on our way into town for a late lunch.  Our exact arrival time at the J.W. is unknown due to Houston traffic conditions. We are looking forward to meeting other Insiders who are arriving on Friday. Saturday's plan are very flexible.  I may join SeaTexan and pluto77 for a shopping trip if there is room or I may stay at the hotel and "talk story" (as they say in Hawaii). I really need to talk to those Insiders who have experience booking travel packages. I'm looking forward to the Saturday night reception.  I hope no one will be offended if I show up in Razorback football attire (maybe even a hog helmet) and occasionally check my phone for the score of the game which might even lead to some "Calling The Hogs". We will be heading home sometime after breakfast on Sunday.

Wwell I need to learn something about the confusing game, so the hogs could be a start? Looking forward to seeing you next week!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

its college football season you likely won't be the only one checking

I wonder if there is a television in the lounge. The Arkansas game is on the SEC Alternate station so I don't think there is much of a chance that it will be on in Texas, but since we are playing Texas State maybe I can find it.

What time is the game as usually the sport bar can get it . My son moved to ark but is an ND fan

The game is at 6:30 on the SEC Network Alternate Channel.  Where does your son live?

seatexan Platinum

There is room! And you are very welcome to join! 

Only LSU is offensive

I'm surprised there have been no tidbits on Timbits.

Despite being in my 50th year on this earth I only recently experienced the mini-sugar-soaked-fried-dough little pieces of heaven that are Timbits

So thats my titbit about timbits

YogiB Platinum

Meh, I would argue that Tim Hortons is not worth spending energy on. But that's just an espresso-kind of guy talking.

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Well I am very sad not to be attending but I will say that Timbits are awesome!  Have fun everyone!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

SItting here waiting for my ride to Barga, I suppose I could argue that I am the TIPPLER who is traveling the farthest to attend, since I am journeying to Houston via Italy, Germany and the U.K.

Another tidbit, I made my first AC Hotel brand stay today. I'll post about it (maybe, ha!) later (no really, I will.)  Did any Insiders know that AC Hotels are named after Antonio Catalan, and that the brand maxim was developed to infuse to it's guests the Heart of Spain, the Soul of Europe, yet with a Global Mindset?  Now you know!

I'm in for shopping with the ladies and will happily be a "Razorback Fan" for one day (but sans uniform, and any hog calling would likely have to be prefaced by an adult bev - or two.)  Will UBER in and out with CoolJ.  See y'all soon (but not too soon... Ahh, Italie! )

Nice titbits there, pluto77.

You certainly are travelling the farthest to reach us, 5520 miles from Barga. You get Gold!

IF fistuks plans work out he'll take Silver at 4846 from London

And I should end up with the Bronze at 4712 from Manchester

fistuk Platinum

brightlybob,

So you're actually traveling from the UK after all?

I had the impression you'll be traveling from Canada as you have been in your research trip... I did wonder how long your trip is 

Crikey there fistuk, if I was coming over from Canada that would have been a long trip away! I returned to the UK from Canada on 21st July.

This time I will be flying into Newark for my Civil War roadtrip on 7th September.

Actually thinking about this, if, as in Plutos case, we don't count from home but instead starting flight to get to Houston then since my flight from Manchester (UK) on Wednesday is to get to Newark (USA) for my civil war roadtrip then it stands to reason that my flight to Houston the following week is in fact from Newark, which is only 1400 miles. I may now face some competition for Bronze!

nationwide Platinum

brightlybob, are you going to dole out a less precious metal, tin perhaps, to the TIPPLER with the shortest travels?  I have mine plotted at 32 miles door-to-door , though I think IAHFLYR may have me beat!

Well I was thinking more "crushed coke can", but yeah, you and IAHFLYR can tough out that particular medal...

Should get in around 2 pm Saturday see you at the bar  

Yes I am afraid I have nationwide beat by about 2 miles for the shortest distance.  I'll gladly take that "metal" after flying in circles last night for about 40 minutes waiting on some very nice early September storms to pass IAH.

Jsucool76 Gold

I'll be flying a whopping 965 miles.

With my connection in ATL, my actual air miles between CMH and HOU will be 1,141. Interestingly, the shortest road mileage is 1,155 running through Cincinnati, Nashville, Memphis, Little Rock, and Texarkana. I think I prefer the 4 hours in the air to the 17+ hours on the road.

Jsucool76 Gold

I would be 1,146 miles driving, or 16 hours 2 minutes according to google. haha.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

pluto77, I .... am ... SO ... JEALOUS!!!!

Wishing you all the best in Barga!!!!  Here's hoping you come back as pleased with the experience as fschumpert and IAHFLYR and my family ... and ....

But, hey, Houston is great, and I'm sorry I won't be joining the TIPPLE'rs....

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

About to leave Houston (in town for a wedding) - sorry I won't be at Tipple.

On this trip, for the first time, my family and I tried Tacos A Go Go | Houston Tacos , and it was awesome!!!

And we also tried Home | Bodegas Taco Shop, which we also enjoyed (and would recommend).

As a former resident and a big fan of Houston, let me recommend Hermann Park (across the street from Rice University and adjacent to the medical center) - for outdoor concerts, paddle boats, green space, the zoo, and the splendid Japanese garden.  Hermann Park Conservancy | Hermann Park Conservancy

But I was also taken, on this trip, by two small, but attractive additions/expansions, to the Park:

First, the McGovern Centennial Gardens, where you can walk the circular "mount" and enjoy the nicely designed waterfall and, among others, meet Mahatma Gandhi:

Ghandi(2016).jpg

And, just across the street, the Bloch Cancer Survivor's Park, which is a (very) active spot for photos of colorfully dressed young people - indeed, every time we passed, we saw dramatic, colorful dresses and groups of young people posing for portraits.

IMG_20160904_140336.jpg

In any event, ENJOY TIPPLE!

Message was edited by: ssindc

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

ssindc,  Thanks for doing the recon work!!

That Taco place appears to be a 12 minute ride on the Red Line from the JW.  I'll give a follow up report, for sure!

painedplatinum I'm pretty sure there will be a late night run Friday and/or Saturday to the Taco joint down the red line!!!

Econfkids Platinum
          1. GGreat idea! Any of you Marriott timeshare owners? So much of the Reward Program includes Marriott timeshares...right?

Nice photos there ssindc  and as I have some additional time in Houston I may well make my way to Hermann Park.

Sorry you can't make it to TIPPLE

That's a bunch of Tacos for a weekend ssindc, but then again it is H-Town and we love us some Tacos.   The Rita's at Bodegas might be a required try as well since one does get thirsty here in September.

FYI for anyone that visits OKC, we visited my Son and Daughter-In-Law last weekend and they took us to a splendid joint for Tacos called Home - Big Truck Tacos.  They do not skimp on a thing and where they ever good. 

OKC Chamber of Commerce infomercial complete, now back to our regularly scheduled TIPPLE talk.

nmballoonist Platinum

Ok, officially bummed! I have just cancelled my reservation at the JW for TIPPLE.  My work commitments, coupled with the need for me to take my flight review before the event, and numerous other things that need to get done before this year's Balloon Fiesta have forced this decision.  When the dates were announced, my attendance was always iffy, that's why I was listed as an ankle biter on one of the early lists.  I hope this will not be the last gathering of insiders, so I have the opportunity to meet all of the famous (or is that infamous) contributors.  I will be sure to raise a glass at the appropriate time even though I will not be present.

However, I will provide another shameless plug for the Balloon Fiesta.  For those of you who did not watch this weeks CBS Sunday Morning show, there was a great feature on the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta.  There were interviews with Judy Nakamura, a fellow board member and one of NM's Supreme Court Justices, as well as with our local Troy Bradley, who owns a number of world records in the sport.  I have attached a link to the clip and if you watch starting at 43 seconds, you will see a very nice red and white balloon flying towards the camera.

Up in the air - Videos - CBS News

I always knew you were a maybe nmballoonist, but am still   to see your post and to remove your name. Big event though for you with all those balloons, enjoy

Bob where are we at now with a few cancellations . I will still be there

We now number 23 and of those 20 are certain but 1 or 2 still might not make it, but have reserved a room as they anticipate being able to... I reckon the final number will be 21, 22 or 23. Like you, I will be there

That is new I did not want to see nmballoonist, dang it.  Wanted to chat with you about giving balloons vectors for an approach to IAH!!!!!  Happy flight review and know you'll be missed. 

nmballoonist Platinum

IAHFLYR  Maybe its good I won't be there since you would probably get frustrated by my inability to follow ATC instructions.  I can do pretty well with maintaining altitude but headings are a whole different story.    And it would take me about 7 "hops" to get to IAH considering my longest flight has been 105 miles, so Southwest would have been my choice to HOU.

No worries nmballoonist about flying headings, remember I dealt with airline pilots so nothing new to me!!!

You and all the others who cannot make it will be missed at the TIPPLE.

Add a few more to the list. We've got some Marriott representation showing up including our very own NathalieF and how about this. Thom Kozik, VP of Global Loyalty will be there too.

See You at the Insiders’ Meetup – JW Marriott Houston, September 17

Who would have guessed our little get together would get this much attention.

I am astonished to see head of Digital comms and VP of Marriott Rewards attending. Hope they speak Beery English

Great to see Nathalie turn up too!

You'll have to wear your best Hawaiian shirt for the occasion.

nationwide Platinum

bejacob this is great!!!  What great additions to TIPPLE! 

nmballoonist Platinum

Now I'm really bummed!  Not only missing all of the Insider attendees, but also NathalieF and Marriott execs. 

seatexan Platinum

image.jpeg

Nicely done SeaTexan!

seatexan Platinum

carat and AndrewT you all would be extra icing on the cake!  It would be super awesome to meet you all as well!  Hmmm maybe I need to go visit New York again...

I'm glad we have someone on MRI who understands all this tweetly stuff.