7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2016 5:37 PM by john_thai RSS

Beware:Time Share/Destination Points Presentation High Pressure and Bullying

40yearMarriottCustomer Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am a forty year customer of Marriott and a Platinum Premiere Member, That means I have earned well over three million Marriott Rewards points and I have spent well over $300,000 over the years with Marriott. I have also been a Marriott Vacation Club owner since 1996.

Having said that, I was extremely unhappy with the very aggressive sales techniques used to try to get us to buy Destination points at Marriott's Myrtle Beach Ocean Pines resort in August 2016. The "closer" (not the presenter) refused to allow my wife and I to go have lunch and talk it over. He jammed his hand at me several times trying to get me to shake on the deal.

If the purchase was that wise, then they should have allowed us to decide on our own. I bought the points but cancelled the deal the next day. I remain very upset and bitter about it. I would NOT buy anything related to Marriott Time Shares again and suggest you don't either. Don't reward their aggressive behavior.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Beware:Time Share/Destination Points Presentation High Pressure and Bullying
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Had a similar thing happen with Hyatt property. Finally I said enough and walked out. It seems like if they get you to invest your time and use theirs they expect a deal.. both times I sat through a review no matter what I countered they had a counter argument non of which mad sense to me

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Beware:Time Share/Destination Points Presentation High Pressure and Bullying
    bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

40yearMarriottCustomer

I have a very similar Marriott profile that you do 40+ years, Platinum Premier, and MVC owner since 2009.  I like the Destination Points Plan but abhor their sales practices, basically assaulting you before you even check-in at one of their properties.  They have brought this to an art form at their Myrtle Beach property and we will not attend another meeting there or anywhere else no matter what the incentives they offer you.  After numerous phone calls prior to your visit, they literally stand in your path as you try to get to the check-in area.  Other vacation properties, while not as obnoxious as the Myrtle Beach sales group, are also annoying and call you incessantly during your stay.   Several years ago, when my wife and daughter tried to attend one of their presentations they were rudely informed that unless they had my "power of attorney" they could not attend.  After we achieved the Chairman's Club level we could no longer book rooms/locations that we had for many years (for example, no properties on Hilton Head available during 4th of July week 13 months ahead of time).   A nMVC sales rep actually told us that they reserve the best rooms and dates for "potential" members.  Can you imagine that?  We initially bought at Myrtle Beach because we happened to get a sales rep that was very professional.  When she brought in her manager he was totally obnoxious and pushy to the point that I excused myself and signaled her from the doorway to come out of the room.  I told her if she didn't get this guy out of the room the deal would be off.  So I definitely sympathize with your treatment.  I have reported these aggressive (rude) sales people to MVC Corporate in Orlando but they have provided nothing but lip service and little help.  Once you hit the Chairman's level you no longer are of any interest to them! 

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

So sorry to hear of this  40yearMarriottCustomer & bpelican.  I'd like to share these comments with the appropriate team and have reached out to both of you via direct message. 

insertcoffee Platinum

Any sales process that does not allow for any time to consider the deal  away from the sales person and has that kind of pressure usually has a reason or several behind it-- few of which are in favour of the buyer.

Glad you were able to cancel the deal.  I hear fewer and fewer positive things about the sales experiences for the MVCs. 

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Why would anyone be surprised that time share salesmen behave unethically? 

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Time share and similar products are always treated that way. Let's face it, if it wasn't for high pressure tactics almost no one would buy into them.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...