23 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2016 11:39 AM by 702rugbyref RSS

Shocked by the situation and lack of apology

ppmcgloth Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I was a guest at The Citizen Hotel, Sacramento on August 11.  In the middle of the night, a man was allowed to roam the hotel and tried to get me out of my room by yelling fire/fire drill - claiming he was staff.  Luckily, as it was in the middle of the night, I checked the peephole and noticed he was crouching at my door.  I called security.  A few minutes later there was a scuffle and the criminal was attacking the lone security guard.  I grabbed my iron and went to the hall to make sure the security guard didn't get hurt.  After the criminal was finally pinned down, I called the front desk and told them to call the police.  After the police took him outside, the man eventually told them he was trying to get me to open my door so he could jump me and rob me.  This guy who was clearly not dressed as a guest would be expected - was allowed to freely enter the hotel past doorman, security, valet, and front desk staff.  This guy was just out of jail and on probation.  After his arrest, I returned to my room - where there was ANOTHER guy in the hall who clearly didn't belong.  I called security and they said they thought they had seen the guy in the hotel before so he might be a guest - at this point the guy grabbed his paper bag, large can of beer, and walked quickly out of the hotel and down the street.  This hotel is completely unsecure and unsafe.  But even more shocking is the fact that I did not receive a call or visit from management the next day to apologize for the situation or even to thank me for helping to ensure the safety of their security guard - nothing.  And now, three weeks later - still no apology call, email or letter.  The front desk clearly knew who I was - so did security - and the police.  Nice way to take care of a Platinum Premier Guest. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Shocked by the situation and lack of apology
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Wow, scary story. I'm in the US next week, so I'll definitely beware of that scam.

Good on you for grabbing the iron and wading in, poor show on the hotel for simply letting it pass and especially that within minutes another unauthorised man had made his way in.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

YogiB Platinum

It seems to me that the manager has a lot on his/her plate (priority probably being to increase security and have a new training session with all staff), but this would definitely be a case in which the manager should reach out to the guest in question (you).

This might even be a story to escalate to the national Marriott offices to make sure that the hotel follows up on the incident. Because if the manager isn't even reaching out to you, it might be a big sign of incompetence.

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

That is really scary!  I would expect to have the hotel management doing everything to make things right for me, and Mrs Tommo would be absolutely livid that they didn't!

A friend of mine was staying in a London hotel (not Marriott) on business recently, and foolishly had not put the chain on his door, although of course no-one could enter without a key card.  In the middle of the night he was awoken by a noise, and found 3 men in his room.  Fortunately they were security, and the front desk had given them a key card for the wrong room to take a couple of hours break.  Can you imagine what that would have been like for a woman business traveller?

The hotel in question could not have been more apologetic, and threw a shedload of points at my friend.  He has just been to a central London hotel for 3 nights with his wife, EVERYTHING paid for, not just the room.  That's more like it.

insertcoffee Platinum

I automatically put the chain on or the slider bar or which ever additional interior options are available and carry a rubber door stopper to use when I have a surprise stay somewhere that has neither.  None of these things will prevent a determined intruder, but nearly always these are accidental intrusions like you cited above and at least buy time and awareness.

Good recovery by the property above. I'm sure they were horrified this happened.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Tommo781

Nice post.  Great way to handle the situation on the part of Marriott.  Things are occasionally going to go wrong, the way thery're  subsequently handled is key to a well-managed property.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi ppmcgloth.  What a terrible situation, so sorry to hear of this!! I have reached out via direct message as I'd like to provide support. 

seatexan Platinum

I would have been so scared!!!  I hope you plugged the iron in before!  Lot more damage!    smart thinking though with the iron!  I hope you hear something back.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Wow, ppmcgloth, what a terrifying experience.  As a former law enforcement officer, I am appalled by the lack of security at this property.  More than that, the inaction by management at the hotel is deporable.  For hotel management, this should be a slam dunk, apologize profusely to the guest and comp the room.   While hotel managers cannot always anticipate situations like this, they sure can control how they respond to them.  I'm glad carat is on the case.

insertcoffee Platinum

This hotel has a lot of wedding and other parties, and a few years ago someone stole a very expensive print from the men's room (the hotel figured out who, called in PD, and the perp admitted he'd been intoxicated and had been trying to figure out how to return it). Sounds as if physical security is still an issue.

This is another example of how being in an expensive or pricier hotel does not necessarily equate to better security, safer surroundings, or better follow through by management.

Glad our CMs are on the case.  Let us know how this resolves.

seatexan Platinum

ppmcgloth  do you use Twitter?  I tweeted it bc it was so scary! 

Marriott hotels saw it and wanted more info.  But I told them it was not me but a member of the community here.  I told them I am sure if they called the hotel,  they would have all of the info.

Kendra with marriott hotels via Twitter contacted me.  So many people work with Marriott so I don't know how to put you in contact with her unless you have twiter. 

The mods here are on it.    but I'm sure bc its public now on Twitter, they are pretty concerned. 

Keep us updated! 

seatexan Platinum

I just saw your post on TripAdvisor.  That should at least get a response from the hotel.

insertcoffee Platinum

Good on you for tossing it out on Twitter. Some corps, including Marriott, are very responsive there.

Whenever I hear someone tell me that Twitter is 'stupid' or 'I  don't need to know what you had for lunch', I know they don't get it at all.

702rugbyref Platinum

One of the reasons I travel with a handgun wherever I can. No need to look for an iron! Good work by you and nice thinking. Glad to know you supported the the safety of the security guard. Had a similar situation in Denver earlier this spring - I did NOT have my gun. However, I did go out and support the security guard - just in case this 'gentleman' became and issue. Luckily, I a man ex-cop, 6'2" and cough, cough 250lb  :-)

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Very sad this happened to you. On tour comment regarding the person didnt look like a guest in todays world establishments are very wary to assume who looks like a guest and who doesn't. Lawsuits can be very expensive

YogiB Platinum

Many hotels just close the front doors and require patrons to use their hotel cards to get in.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Very true but from my experience only side doors . Most of ones i visit let you want in front door with no trouble

ppmcgloth Platinum

Just to update everyone following this.  I received an email yesterday and a call today from the property General Manager.  He apologized for the follow-up contact not taking place due to a internal miscommunication while he was out of town.  More importantly, he assured me that immediately following his learning of the incident, he immediately started staffing additional security and enforcing the keycard entry to the front doors in the evening (which is what the Residence Inn a few blocks away has done for a long time).  He seemed genuine and understanding - and appreciative of my support that night during the incident.  He did say this was the first time in many years they have had an incident like this, but perhaps this will serve as a wake-up for them to step it up.  He did emphasize, he considers the safety of the guests and his staff his highest priority.  It would be good, as the hotel itself is a nice little gem - a nice break from the normal cookie-cutter Marriott that we all have grown to love.  I should also extend a call-out to their Food and Beverage Manager and front desk staff - on the night of my original arrival - I got in late.  I think 1 am.  They went out of their way to set me up with a couple sodas and some snacks since everything was closed.  This incident also reminded me to be more aware of my security.  I guess we all need a wake-up call now and then.

ms.harris Platinum

So sorry that this happened to you, but thank you for sharing to wake us all up to being more aware of security.  I am not sure if I would have been as brave as you were with the iron, so Kudos on that call!  I'm happy that Marriott reached out and that safety is a priority.  As a female who travels alone, security is important. 

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

The iron was a great idea! You could have really flattened him-literally. (Sorry couldn't resist.)

Regarding access to the hotel, so many hotels allow free entering and exiting. Very few in fact require a key to use elevator. I travel weekly for work. The only consistent thing I see is a key needed to enter lobby after 11pm.

I think you handled situation very well. Heck, the guy could have been a guest. I think some situations are sadly unavoidable. Proper response is all that's available. Im glad you got it here from the police. Im glad Marriott Insiders are assisting.

insertcoffee Platinum

BTW, your peephole is definitely better than my peephole. There is no way I could see someone crouching next to my door from my Marriott peephole.  I noticed this when you first posted, but wanted to double check the peephole before I asked you about it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...