10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2016 1:04 PM by reviuq RSS

Menus in Hotel Restaurants

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

During my recent stay in York, I discovered there is now a central policy for restaurant menus in UK Hotels.  Unless the hotel has a "themed" restaurant, such as West India Quay where it is a New York steak restaurant, the menu is more or less the same across the country.  To be clear, there is nothing wrong with the menu, and the food we had was good.  But it is a limited choice menu.  Hotels used to be able to make the most of excellent local ingredients, but that is gone (and with it some chefs too I understand who didn't like having to prepare totally formulaic meals).  I find this a retrograde step.  Marriott Hotels are not in the same ilk as McDonalds and KFC where the same menu is expected because they are fast food chains.  Is this happening in the States at all?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Menus in Hotel Restaurants
    reviuq Platinum

I was just thinking the same thing. Stayed in Portsmouth, Waltham Abbey and Bristol last week and the menu was exactly the same in all three.

Checking into London Maida Vale tomorrow and I really hope that the excellent Fratelli's hasn't gone down this route.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Glad you agree reviuq.  I think it is quite dire!

reviuq I have contacted Marriott Customer Care UK about this, and they have said "your valuable feedback will be passed on."  It occurs to me that the more who do so here in the UK, the more they might listen.  So would you consider emailing customercareuk@marriott-service.com to tell them too?

reviuq Platinum

Excellent idea Tommo781. I've two more UK stays this week in different UK hotels so I'll see if they have also adopted a "one size fits all " menu and then pass on my concerns.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I Haven't seen this development yet Tommo781 but with my next UK Marriott stay being in October I will check out the menu.

As for your question as to whether it's reached the US, I am actually at my first US Marriott FS of my grand tour, the Downtown Richmond Marriott see Re: 17-night USA trip at 13 hotels in 10 towns over 9 brands - Am I mad? Now it is central and has adopted a Sportsbar theme for its huge restaurant, so its not neutrally formulaic, though it does of course follow the Sportsbar theme of wings, burgers, steaks and ice cream!  I will watch out for this at my other full service stays in San Antonio and Houston though.

Thanks brightlybob.  This is a development that is really bugging me.  Apart from hotels like WIQ, where they have themed restaurants such as The Manhattan Grill, this has been rolled out across the UK I understand from my Marriott sources .  Who on earth wants the same menu wherever they go?  Isn't eating, and the diversity of different menus, a pleasure?  Marriott restaurants should not be like any old chain should they?

For example.  York Marriott has the potential for a foody heaven in Yorkshire. The Ginger Pig's wonderful farm in Levisham is very close.  But the hotel can no longer make the most of such wonderful local ingredients and also fabulous fish from the nearby coast.  Don't get me wrong, the food is good at the hotel.  But I don't want the same formulaic menu every night I am staying there, or any other Marriott in the UK come to that. I am led to believe from my top secret source that the head chef atYork left because of this development.

You have "clout" with Marriott and Insiders.  Please feel free to follow what I have said further up the thread, and if you find the same as I did consider emailing customercareuk@marriott-service.com to tell them too.

allleisure Platinum

We, stateside, have had that experience with the introduction of the Bisrto at the Courtyard hotels. Same uninspiring microwaved items. Even the hamburger is a microwaved, pre cooked, frozen, tasteless hockey puck. 

Thanks for that allleisure.  As you know, here in the UK we have very few of the Marriott brands, so I am unsure of the "pecking order" in respect of luxury down to budget.  But all the hotels mentioned here by myself and reviuq are Full Service Marriotts, as are the majority in the UK.  I just think it is very poor to have such a formulaic menu in FS Marriotts over here, when they are in the top quartile of hotels in this country.  Thanks a lot for your input.

reviuq Platinum

Just got back from nights in 2 more UK Marriotts. Thankfully both restaurants remain "independent" perhaps because the one in London's Maida Vale has an Italian theme (as stated by Tommo781 in his original post) and Southampton's Meon Valley is a Hotel and Country Club.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...