22 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2016 4:27 PM by insertcoffee RSS

Is This Really A Fairfield Marriott? Embarrising For Marriott

fedupplt Platinum 33 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I previously have stayed at the Fairfield Charlotte, NC Arrowood and the experience was quite pleasant as I stated on Tripadvisor. I believe they must have a new, incompetent, odious general manager who has no concept on how to properly and efficiently lead a business!

Marriott! You should remove your name from this landfill!

Check in about 7, girl at desk is rude.

9:30, go down to the lobby for tea.

No hot water. Ask girl at desk if she could get hot water. She tells me it's by the coffee.

I know water is clear but invisible? I inform her it's not by the coffee.

"Yeah, it's there."

No, it's not, the pot is empty. (Maybe I should turn on the fire sprinkler).

"I don't know what to tell you, it's there."

It's really not. She walks to the back room, obviously searching for a diving rod.

Girl Gone!

A.M. Go to use shower. Hair in the shower! Glad I didn't have to pay extra for the unanticipated discovery.

Shampoo container. Surprise! It's empty. Now I start wondering if the sheets were even clean.

Go down for bkfst. at 7:20 Surprise! NO coffee!

People are waiting around for someone to magically appear with the brown brew.

Go for eggs. Surprise! No eggs!

I'll have oatmeal. Surprise! The only hot water was the left over hot water from the previous night.... oh, wait. There was none then either.

7:40, still no coffee and many guests are clearly agitated.

Employee shows up, Janie. Incredibly pleasant, polite and friendly. She informs me the breakfast staff didn't show up. I'm thinking it's because they have a boss that is without clues.

Tell Janie there's no coffee, no eggs, no hot water, ask for GM number.

Finally get coffee at 7:50! Grab a muffin, get ready to leave.

Again tell Janie I would like to speak with the GM, Brittany Bailey. Janie tells me she emailed gm, gm emailed back and she would be calling me.

I call hotel at 5:30 to speak with gm and I am told she left earlier.

A business is only as successful as it's worst employee. Brittany, in my opinion, needs to find a job that doesn't require decision making or authority

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Charlotte, North Carolina, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlotte Arrowood
  • Re: Is This Really A Fairfield Marriott? Embarrising For Marriott
    AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

So sorry to hear about this. Could you please send me a direct message with your Rewards number and the reservation number for this stay? We'd like to look into this matter.

Thank you

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Andrew,

I sent you a message with the requested info.

Following is the response I received from the GM after I posted a comment on Tripadvisor:

Good morning Mr. XXXXX,

I would first like to apologize for the experience you had in regards to your stay with us this weekend. I can tell that it was not enjoyable, to say the least, but can assure you that all of your concerns will be addressed with our entire team, beginning with the front desk clerk and housekeeping staff.

It is never acceptable for any staff member to come across as rude and to not be helpful to any guest. It is also quite surprising to hear of the housekeeping issues that you experienced but appreciate you informing me. It is not the typical experience that our guests have and will be looked into with the housekeeper and our Executive Housekeeper to avoid future incidents.

Our  breakfast attendant did show up for her shift Saturday morning, but made the choice to leave before breakfast began due to her unhappiness in being disciplined earlier in the week. It is very unfortunate that she chose to end her employment in such a manner that effected our guests, and the entire team. As soon as I was made aware of her actions I had additional employees go into work, as I was not able to assist myself being as I am out of town. I am very thankful that our team, and especially Mrs. Janie was able to make the best out of an unfortunate, and uncommon situation. I know she will be grateful for your kind words towards her and I will be sure to share your comments.

Although I know we will not be able to change your experience, I hope Mrs. Janie was able to compensate you for your troubles. If she had not, I will be happy to take care of that Monday morning when I return. Also, if you would like to further discuss your experience, please let me know a good time to contact you and what the best phone number to reach you will be.

I hope the remainder of your weekend was enjoyable and that at some point, you might allow us the opportunity to provide you with an outstanding stay should your travels bring you back to our area. We do appreciate you staying with us and hope you can accept my apologies on behalf of our entire hotel for your experience.

Warmest Regards,

BRITTANY

General Manager

p 704.319.5100  f 704.319.5101

Fairfield Inn® Charlotte Arrowood

7920 Arrowridge Blvd.

Charlotte, NC 28273

Here is my response:

Hello Brittany,

Thank you for responding to my scathing email, but to reiterate what I previously stated, I don't believe you are either qualified or trained to be the general manager. Your letter reinforces my position. Blaming the lack of quality service on other employees is both rude and unprofessional. You, as the titled leader of this property, should accept all responsibility for unfortunate experiences and short comings guests encounter but should also wave applause in the direction of the appropriate employees when the business is working cohesively.

Reading numerous messages on Tripadvisor, I noticed my experience is not isolated. I have no concept as to how long you have held your position at this Fairfield Inn and it certainly is not my business, but after sending the first email to you, I posted on both Tripadvisor and Marriott and was astounded to see how many disenchanted guests there have been (and posted their concerns) that stayed at this property in the last year and one half.

Your standard response to me mirrors the many other responses both you and the assistant manager have posted when guests wrote less than favorable comments, which do look to be quite frequent.  Serving the same porridge to all that are disenchanted shows you are aware there are issues but just don't care, it's a job.

I have stayed at this property before, I believe December, 2014 was the last time. I also stayed numerous times at the Marriott (now Crowne Plaza) on Tyvola Rd as well as the Rennaisance off Tyvola Rd, Residence Inn and Courtyard hotels near this FF. and the Marriott down town and have never witnessed the behavior demonstrated at this property so I can confidently say it's not the employees but looks to be the individual working with the employees.

It might be the correct time for you to travel to other Marriott properties, particularly Fairfield Inns and see how a hotel should be conducting business. I am hopeful you will learn from this, stop blaming others and assume the leadership that was presented to you when you accepted this position.

"Although I know we will not be able to change your experience, I hope Mrs. Janie was able to compensate you for your troubles."

This is a ludicrous statement! Compensate me? How?

peymanagement Platinum

This is really pretty a weak response, from the GM. Rule # 1 in management is to never blame your workers for your failings as a manager. Please let us know the resolution of this.

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

"Our breakfast attendant did show up for her shift Saturday morning, but made the choice to leave before breakfast began due to her unhappiness in being disciplined earlier in the week."

I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry. 

Sorry you had such a bad experience.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I tend to be very weary about TripAdvisor but when you see a build up of like-for-like complaints I reckon it does point to something very wrong, in this case there looks like a management issue. And it's not being sorted.

cjmarriott Silver 1 Reviews

We had a bad experience with Fairfield Inn in Asheville, NC.  I don't recommend staying at any Fairfield Inn hotels. I think because it is a lower brand hotel, the staff may match it.  We stayed there because it was the only hotel available and they only had 1 room left.  Never, never will we do that again! 

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

It depends on the property.  I've stayed at some excellent Fairfields.

insertcoffee Platinum

FFI is not my brand of choice, but honestly, you can have a bad apple anywhere-- even at RCs.  Unless there were also brand standard issues that would replicate throughout the entirety of FFI, I wouldn't paint all of Fairfields with the same brush.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I've only ever stayed at one FFI in Oakville, ON. It was a quite nice place for the price but staying on StagHen night proved a recipe for a sleepless night for my light-sleeping wife. Me, I slept great! Even so, I do prefer Holiday Inn Express to FFI (and to Courtyards too) so if there's a choice between FFI/CY/HIX, the HIX will win out. Although this sounds like IHG would get the majority of my stays, since most hotels in Europe are full service Marriotts, JWs, Rens, or Autographs it does mean I'm very rarely confronted with the choice between FFI/CY/HIX...

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

I disagree with your comment that all Fairfield Inns are the same.  I have stayed at some really awesome locations that had great staff and service.  My wife and I have stayed at the same Fairfield Inn during Christmas to visit her family for the past 4 years and are booked again for this Christmas.  Several know us by sight while the Manager knows us by name.

We shouldn't say that all Fairfield Inns are "bad" from a small sample size and with such a broad stroke - there are some awesome locations out there that do a great job of appreciating those that stay - and my experiences, those that are a Marriott Rewards Member!!

insertcoffee Platinum

What a series of unfortunate events, with the corker being the GM's response.

While nothing will really make it 'right', perhaps some points compensation and not charging you for your stay would go a long way in making you feel better.

Like brightlybob I use a healthy does of wariness with most TA reviews, but if there is a theme going, there is likely something substantive in the plurality.

This is not a case of "I was not given the warmest of elite recognitions, no one genuflected," etc. etc. This was a case of substandard service and cleanliness topped off with a GM blaming her staff (however accurately or not that blame may have been placed). She should have kept internal discipline and other issues just there: internally, and taken the hit.  Also, for your expectation management, knowing the GM was out of town, the staff should have told you that after you asked, and offered the AGM or similar to assist more rapidly.

Attitude can overcome --or worsen-- poor experiences.

I'd find out ownership of the property  and send them a brief, non-emotional letter describing your dissatisfaction and your experience.

The GM's canned response on Tripadvisor:

Brittany B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlotte Arrowood, responded to this review, yesterday

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your past stay at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlotte Arrowood. We have shared your concerns with the appropriate teams and are working to find a solution to make sure the housekeeping and staff service issues that you experienced, do not happen again. I appreciate you taking the time to speak with me and hope that your concerns were addressed to your satisfaction. If I can assist in any other way I hope you will not hesitate to reach out. We hope to have another opportunity to better your experience during your next stay.

"Taking the time to speak with me"?

It took NUMEROUS emails as well as SEVERAL phone calls to finally be permitted to have a conversation with this individual.

I firmly believe a company is as strong as it's weakest link and I believe this link (gm) has rusted away.

For all that are reading this, start at the top and draft your opinion about this Fairfield Inn and the current management.

insertcoffee Platinum

1.  Have you communicated with the CMs here? If so, what was the result?

2.  GMs are not going to say much on Trip Advisor. Expecting them to do otherwise is a fool's errand.

3.  I believe part of why it was difficult to get the GM was because this person was on leave, yes? As stated above, someone onsite should have told you that so you didn't think they were around the corner and getting right back to you.

4.  Someone onsite should have been empowered to do something in the absence of the GM.

5.  I've already suggested you find out who actually owns the hotel (hint: it isn't Marriott) and contact them; additionally, SeaTexan has provided that information above. Have you contacted them?

6. What exactly are you expecting out of this? One incident of this type is not going to get the manager fired, if that is what you are thinking. Do you just want points and a refund or credit, in addition to the apology you already have?  Did you get them?

7. Folks have already given you guidance on what you can do. While this certainly was a cluster, if this is the worst single night/stay you ever have in a career, you've been fortunate.

In response to .

I am not looking for anything, including points.

I am aware I can protest the charges on my cc but I believe it is the responsibility of the gm to remove the charges, which she hasn't.

I have contacted the parent company and as of today, I have not heard from them.

I have started, built up and sold two reasonably successful companies and recognize issues do happen, but as I previously stated, the issues I witnessed are not isolated.

The gm never contacted me. I would call the hotel,  state who I was, I would be put on hold ("let me see if she is in"). The only way she acknowledged a phone call from me was when I was asked "who's calling?", I gave a fictitious name.

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

"While this certainly was a cluster, if this is the worst single night/stay you ever have in a career, you've been fortunate"

great advice, sometimes it's better just to move on, maybe easy for me to say but really, is it worth the stress and more important one's time...

IMHO

JD

pilam76 Platinum

I work in food and nutrition and I am the general manager of my account and if I ever come across a customer who is not satisfied in any way I make every effort to speak to that customer personally to make sure their concern is heard, that I hear it first hand and I can rectify it so I can retain their business.

I hate the whole standard form answers on trip advisor the managers tend to give and in this case the GM was waaaaaaaaaay out of line in discussing her hotel's issues about the disciplined(if I spelled this right) employee. Customers do not want to hear excuses and it was unprofessional to even mention "the employee was unhappy about being disciplined" or about the breakfast attendant calling out. Just apologize and make it right.

Agree with fedupplt the GM could have done a lot better. Her response is so poorly worded and like most apologies we see, does not say "please contact me" or anything, just "I hope you can give us another chance."

I would not.

pilam76 Platinum

To give an example, I recently was speeding and at a stop light a police office confronted me. I was given a warning but I felt he was rude and complained to the department. It was a county sheriff's office. The captain in charge of that city personally emailed me to setup a time to discuss the situation and address my complaint. The captain did not make excuses, just apologized, said he would address it and did let me know some officers are stern with the public because the public does lie a lot to officers which I get. The whole situation of emailing me and calling me took 20 minutes but the fact he took the time to address my concern when he has so many other things going on made me feel so good and I am sure if this GM did the same, fedupplt business would be retained.

Communication and accepting responsibility for unfortunate incidences goes significantly farther than blaming the employees.

insertcoffee Platinum

So...it is football season, and I've been seeing a lot more Marriott advertisements.

One was on today, and for FFI. And their '100% satisfaction guarantee' , proudly featuring...Mister T.

Here's the link, and I've pasted the page as well.  Satisfaction Guaranteed | Fairfield Inn and Suites

You're our #1 priority.

We promise you’ll be satisfied, or we’ll make it right. That is our commitment to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdiP4_LE7EE
        A guarantee is only as good as
        it’s enforcer. Meet our newest
        employee, Mr. Guaran-T.

mrt-video-play-btn
        • If an issue arises, promptly alert the General Manager or a Front Desk associate so they can resolve it. Hotel associates will make every effort to resolve the problem to the guest’s satisfaction. If compensation is granted, it will be limited to the price of one night’s stay or Marriott Rewards® points for a future stay.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...