3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 4, 2016 9:01 PM by annieco RSS

Re-sale or Second Hand Marriott Destination Points

donaldhamilton Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Hi, I hope someone can help me. I purchased 3 Marriott timeshares second hand or on the re-sale market a number of years ago. I have 2 units in Vegas, and one in Marbella Spain. I live in the UK. Last year I joined the Marriott destinations program which cost me an additional  $1800

With my 3 units, I currently have 9400 points to use every year, and my 9400 points mean that I am at executive level.

If I wanted to upgrade to Presidential level I would need another 600 points, or to Chairman's club I would need another 5600 points.

I have seen adverts on the net with destination points for sale, for between £5 - $20 per point, (I'm not sure how much Marriott charges, but I assume it would be a lot more than this)  I also understand that part of the cost, an additional $2 per point would be a fee from Marriott to transfer the points into my name.

My questions are,

1. Does anyone have any experience of buying second hand or re-sale destinations program points?

2. Can anyone point me towards any Marriott terms and conditions for buying second hand points?

3. Will Marriott treat my new second hand points the same as my existing points, and will they upgrade me to Presidential or Chairman's club, or will they treat me as a second class citizen much the same as they did when I purchased my second hand weeks, before I joined their destinations program.

I have also been told that Marriott are unable to sell me Destination points in the UK? but if I went to the US I would be able to buy them? What's all that about?

Any other help or information I would be very interested to learn.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but hopefully this will become an interesting thread, and answer at least some of them.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Marriott Vacation Clubs
  • Re: Re-sale or Second Hand Marriott Destination Points
    mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I have investigated this in the past and found that while you can purchase points on the secondary market, Marriott imposes a whole slew of fees which makes it prohibitively expensive. The basic fee is $500 per 250 points or $2 per point, then there is their Right to First Refusal fee.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

coupons Gold

Donald-Marriott is currently selling DP around $13.00 per point.  On the secondary market, people are asking many difference prices per point.  The main issue, as stated by mikiegfla, is that Marriott requires $3000.00 from a secondary market sale, thus requiring a minimum purchase of 1500  Dps.  Also Marriott has the Right of First Refusal.  there is a Facebook page devoted to DP Owners. ask to join and then ask your question there as well. The name of the group is  marriott destination club owners

annieco Member

I am brand new to Marriott Vacation Club, but I needed to purchase additional points for a trip. I went to a website called Ownertrades where people were selling their unused points on average for .50 a point. I purchased some points by contacting an individual and the transaction was easy. Marriott did not charge a fee for the transfer. My experience in my first trade was very positive and I would definitely do it again. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...