19 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2016 6:09 PM by jamesdean RSS

Teaser Rates Amount to Bait and Switch

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

It's been quite a few months now that Marriott has utilized the teaser rates on the booking page. When looking for a multi-day stay, Marriott will show a rate like "from $139". This quite often turns out to be nightly rates of..$139 then $185, $185, $179, $145.  In New York City it can be as bad as $109 on Sunday night to $320 for the very next day. The customer won't see a total price until clicking on the teaser rate and then checking the night by night rate. This is onerous and borderline dishonest. I also stay at IHG from time to time and they always show the "average nightly rate" for stays where the price may vary during the week. This practice allows you to see the full price without games.

So, the question is...Who at Marriott thinks it's a good idea to hide the real pricing until the customer gets 3 or 4 steps into the booking process? Here's one Rewards Member who finds it frustrating to no end and has caused me to throw in the towel three times over the last month and book with the competitor.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Teaser Rates Amount to Bait and Switch
    randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

I agree that this is misleading and frustrating.  I find a rate on the front page that looks good, decide to stay there, and then find out the rate is much higher most nights than the posted rate.  So I'll go elsewhere, sometimes outside the Marriott family.  Poor business practice.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Jsucool76 Gold

I prefer the way Hilton does it. They put a little star that indicates the rate changed during the stay.

nationwide Platinum

painedplatinum I agree with your take on this practice.  I've always believed that Marriott is a better company than this as evidenced by the way the majority of its associates operate. The teaser rate comes very close to being a breech of integrity, and seems inconsistent with Marriott's corporate values. 

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Think they should show the average of the stay which would be more forth coming

YogiB Platinum

It's not uncommon for companies to try out such tactics as an experiment: selling more rooms vs. the amount of complaints that come forth.

However, I didn't expect Marriott to go this low.

I've seen it for a while now. The hotels comparison page never shows everything, usually only the cheap rate on day 1 and than smaller "the rate changes to [insert higher rate here] the next day". I just click through to the reservation overview page where they post the prices for all days, the taxes and the total amount.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

I seemed to recall something different so I checked on one hotel. Teaser rate in big letters. But right next to it there is a message that the rate changes on certain days. So it's not like the cost is hidden.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

You're right John, but by not showing the "full price" on the first page, you have to click on each individual hotel to find that info.  Quite often I search by address. 20 to 100 plus hotels may come up. Being able to see the price of the stay, versus a disingenuous teaser rate, allows me to find my hotel choice quickly. Having to click on multiple Marriott pages, record the real amount, click on more pages......this can't be what any customer finds as user friendly.

trevfour Platinum

I think you are being hard on Marriott. The information is there. Not a teaser rate in sight, and you can view average cost per night and total cost per stay.

image.png

image.png

image.png

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

I was about to post the same sort of thing trevfour but you beat me to it.

YogiB Platinum

It's true that you can have this overview when selecting "flexible dates", but:

1) when comparing hotels, it doesn't show the "starting from" rates anymore when comparing different hotels in the area,

2) it still doesn't include taxes & fees, so I'm still clicking through to the "Review Reservation Details", so:

3) it just extra steps, but not extra information.

trevfour Platinum

Just my view, but it's one click per property, where you can see the total cost for any start date, and this does include taxes and fees by the way. So if you have numerous hotel choices, one click on 'ViewRates' , if nothing acceptable, back button on browser and choose another. I can't see how Marriott can make it much easier or informative.

Edit:

Actually, I do see the page does state 'Room rates do not include taxes and fees in most markets', but that is not correct, as per screen below, I chose the £511 rate, and further on this choice shows that taxes and rates are included. (UK anyway, I suppose this may not be applicable everywhere).

image.png

YogiB Platinum

"(UK anyway, I suppose this may not be applicable everywhere)."

It's not the case in North America.

Airlines have figured this out a while ago, adding a checkmark if you want to see prices including or excluding sales taxes.

"I can't see how Marriott can make it much easier or informative."

I can. On the page where we compare the hotels, just show the price for the whole stay for a basic room with King bed or 2 Queen beds, nothing fancy. Rate before taxes in big font size, rate with taxes in smaller font size below.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Same thing in the US. You can see the full summary, including rate changes on various dates and taxes.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

i have honestly gotten used to this. I know most hotels change their rates on high demand dates so if im staying more than 3 nights i always expect the rates to change, specially if im staying on a weekday and weekend. It would make no sense to me for a hotel to charge you a low rate for dates in which they are almost sold out or to charge you more on dates in which they are less than half full just to make the higher rates comparable to the rest of your stay. 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I agree. Why so many back-and-forth clicks to get the full picture for a property rate, when we could easily get a full, side by side picture for a stay, with far less clicks?  Instead of look no further, it's look further and further.   At least I'm exercising the memory center of my brain.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Yes, I'm getting SICK AND TIRED of this bait & switch!!  Hyatt doesn't seem to do this to me... Marriott, please stop!  It makes trying to book cash rates so frustrating! 

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

This is the way Marriott has posted its prices for the last decade now, but coincidentally, or maybe not(!) with this thread the individual hotel rates page is now giving the total price for the stay. The fluctuating-rates-during-stay don't really effect me, as like I suspect most hotel stays, mine are mainly 1-nighters but it would make it much easier to compare the rates on a long fixed date search if, like IHG, Marriott quoted the average nightly rate for the stay. In any event when booking a long stay I frequently break it down into 2 or 3 reservations because separating out a high cost night often lowers the surrounding ones, or to redeem for the high cost, night, or where the fluctuation is less pronounced to make it easier to change as rates do, or to LNF. And that applies as much to IHG as it does to Marriott.

insertcoffee Platinum

Unfortunately our current regulations allow for this, or it would not be happening. Just as with the airlines, where instead you see 'fares from $***' (when on Kayak, for example) but those are at ridiculous times of the day for your plans, or some other variant such as three legs with an 8 hour layover.

Is it more labour intensive? Yes. Is it helpful for me? No, not really, especially if  a customer looks and sees that rate for a day I would not even be onsite (like a Saturday).

The rates fluctuate within the week and over time, just as they do for high and low season. While I wish it were more transparent, I don't find it as painful as you do. It is just another challenge.

OT: I have a much larger gripe with paying for other people's stadiums.

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

Of all the times that I've booked recently I've never been tricked by a bait & switch, you look at the rate then you look at the number of nights and see that on certain dates the rate can change, the only bait & switch issue is those darn "resort fees" which can really add up, but that's a whole other topic..LOL!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...