17 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2016 4:52 PM by insertcoffee RSS

Platinum challenge

todzwif Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am almost finished with my challenge and should reach Platinum within two weeks.   So excited!  I will end up with 55 nights overall after the challenge.  I know that I have another 15 nights coming in December from my credit card anniversary, 7 for a vacation in October, and another handful of nights booked on business before the end of the year so I would have just squeaked by with 75 nights even without the challenge.  Glad to have the perks for the rest of the year, though!

My question is this:  if for some reason I end up with, say, 73 nights for the year - will I still carry over 23 nights into next year (difference between 73 nights and 50 night requirement for Gold)?  Or since I completed the challenge and became Platinum early, will I only carry over any nights after the 75th?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinum challenge
    nationwide Platinum

todzwif congratulations on your success with the Platinum Challenge!    You had sniffed out the answer correctly... Only nights beyond 75 will rollover to next year, and you will need to hit 75 again in 2017 to requalify platinum in 2018.  Of course, you can do a challenge once every 12 months, so you could leverage that option to requalify if you anticipated coming up short.  You are doing the right thing by having the credit card!  That should put you in good standing!  Congrats again!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

todzwif Platinum

Thank you!

cjbhand18 Member

Is there anyone who reads this that we can connect with directly to get offered a platinum challenge?  The rewards hotline is giving me grief that I dont have status currently and can only offer me sliver elite which I think is rubbish.

Thoughts?

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Well, cjbhand18 I would advise that the helpline is absolutely right, you can only challenge to the next status up, so Blues can only challenge to Silver, Silvers only to Gold and Golds to Plat. Only one challenge is offered per annum.

The best advice I can give you would be if you have only a few stays this year take the silver challenge get to silver then early next year request a challenge to Gold. If you've got a lot of stays planned then make the 10 nights to silver before requesting the Gold challenge.

The Silver challenge requires 3 stays in approx 3 months, Gold is 6 stays and Plat is 9.

I Strongly suggest you read this thread Status Challenges: What are they and how do I enroll?  where you'll find the moderators here who handle these requests. Good luck!

cjbhand18 Member

I am going to be staying in the same Marriott hotel for the next 16 weeks so I dont understand why I cant be offered platinum?

Am I crazy?

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

If it's a single 16-week long stay with no breaks then you'll not qualify for the standard offers, that's for sure. On the other hand 16 weeks is a long time, you'll be Gold after 7 and Plat after 11 anyway. If you've status in another program you could see if Marriott will match you to that status or simply comp the status on the basis of the forthcoming stay. I've alerted carat and AndrewT who tend to deal with these matters so hopefully they'll be in touch, or you can just message them directly

nationwide Platinum

cjbhand18 - you are going to have to have the nights to qualify platinum (75), or meet the challenge.  As a member, you are only eligible for a one step status promotion via a challenge as brightlybob had aptly pointed out.  So, if I were in your shoes, here's what I would do:

- get to 50 nights, and achieve gold status via regular qualifications.

- call in and ask for a platinum challenge.

- then, that's where you are going to have to get creative.

- assuming this is a work-related assignment, check out at the end of the week

stay at another property for the weekend, and then go back to your home away from home to start the next week

- you will need 9 "stays" after accepting a platinum challenge, so you are going to have to leave the property to achieve a stay.  You cannot simply check out and check back in to the same hotel (same day).  You have to go elsewhere...  That's the only way you can make this 100+ day stay turn into platinum status before getting to 75 nights...  You have to break it up.

- Make sense?

- Otherwise, and this is the great thing, you will hit your 75 nights 11 weeks into your stay, without a status challenge ....

- Hope this helps...

insertcoffee Platinum

You now have a lot of information to work with. The good news is that once you start actually staying in a Marriott, it won't take long for your status to ring up. You're blue apparently now, so within ten nights you will already be a silver.

Do you mean 16 consecutive weeks, 16x7 nights? Or so you mean 16 'consultant' weeks, like S-Th, M-F, or similar? The reason I ask is not only for the total number of nights but also your folio will be totaled out and sent in every week. 

cjbhand18 Member

16 x (3-4 nights) per week

insertcoffee Platinum

16 times a max swag of 4 nights per week is  64 nights. On its own, that is not enough to earn platinum even after  your entire stay.  75 nights are required for Platinum.

So, really, why should you have platinum status given to you?

The largest gap is between silver (10 nights) and gold (50 nights); additionally, not only do you not have enough scheduled nights to reach platinum, but gold is really the sweet spot anyway. If you were going to ask for something that a)was most reasonable (b) achievable (c) offered you biggest bang, I'd hit silver and then, showing my reservations already in the system, ask for the Gold challenge.

In parallel, I'd be signing up for Marriott cc. Of course, if staying at Marriott or  lot of other business travel is not going to be part of your routine moving forward, then the CC has arguably less value for you-- but so does advance granting of privileges to you by Marriott.

Not trying to harsh on your status parade. Just think about it from Marriott's perspective. It could be interpreted that you just want Platinum benefits for this one  series of stays, jumping from zero status, with no indicated ongoing Marriott  paid nights after the conclusion of this 60-ish stint.

You should have all the information you need, or have been pointed to it, in the thread. Happy researching!

nationwide Platinum

I like brightlybob's advice better...  You would do a lot of dancing around between properties, and still only beat the 11 weeks timeline by a few days if you could stay at another property or two on the weekends.  Be patient, you'll earn it in 11 weeks, and then all the extra elite nights will rollover for you to 2017.  Assuming you are starting with zero, having 37 nights roll to 2017 is awesome!!!

nationwide Platinum

cjbhand18 - one more thought   if you don't have the Chase Marriott Visa, go get it now.  It will give you an extra 15 elite nights credit the first month you have it.  Then, you will only need to stay 60 actual nights to get you to Platinum!  So, that gets you to platinum at 8.5 weeks versus 11 the hard way!  You'll then be earning a 50% bonus on those nights for an extra 2.5 weeks!  There you have it! 

todzwif Platinum

15 nights the first month with the cc?  I don't recall getting those, is there a way to get a history on my account?  I've noticed that every year it wipes itself out and I can't see last year's activity.

insertcoffee Platinum

This is from the T&Cs for Personal Premier card; below that I've pasted the link.  Bolding and underlining mine.

4 Please allow 6 to 8 weeks from account open date and account anniversary date every year for the 15 nights to be credited to your Marriott Rewards® account. To qualify for the anniversary 15 nights Elite status credit, your account must be open and not in default on your account anniversary date and you must be a member in good standing with the Marriott Rewards program. Only one Marriott Rewards Credit Card account per Rewards member (Rewards member must be the primary cardmember on that account) is eligible for the 15 Nights Elite credit award. Chase is not responsible for offer fulfillment or the provision of or failure to provide the stated benefits and services.

Terms & Conditions

nationwide Platinum

todzwif - you might have had to wait as long as 6 to 8 weeks to get your 15 nights, as insertcoffee has kindly shared the Terms and Conditions of the program with you here.  However, there are a number of us who have experienced much faster turnaround times...  A recent post entitled How long for 15 elite night credits?  shares a number of experiences that are shorter, yet, there are some others who have needed help getting them posted at all.  One member shared 3 days from account opening, they had their 15 nights credit.  Now that's fast! 

I would call 800-321-7396 (Marriott Rewards) and get them to look at the history of your account.  You are correct, the nights counter resets each year, and likely won't help you answer whether you received the nights at sign-up.  Moreover, they just drop into your account without a time/date stamp.  Like many other rewards members, I track nights and points on my own (spreadsheet), reconciling it frequently to ensure points and nights post accurately.   This is one of those unfortunate downside necessities that I've found with the program....  Points and nights simply don't post as accurately as we'd like.  Points chasing is the subject of many other threads, so I'll leave that alone here.      Congratulations again on successfully achieving platinum!

Message was edited by: nationwide

insertcoffee Platinum

The fifteen nights credit annually on your anniversary, as per Terms and Conditions, and 6-8 weeks after opening of account on the first year.

Great for  you if you got yours within a month, but I don't think that is typical.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Thanks for the great help brightlybob & nationwide!!  You both have provided some great insight.  cjbhand18, feel free to reach out if you have any questions in regards to the status challenges.  It looks like it would be most beneficial for you to wait until you've reached Gold on your own and enroll in a Platinum Challenge. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...