5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 31, 2016 4:10 PM by wilmingtonfam4 RSS

Atlanta Ritz vs Marriott Marquis

wilmingtonfam4 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Traveling to Atlanta for leisure stay with family (spouse, infant, 5yr old) early October. Cannot decide between Atlanta Ritz-Carlton or Marriott Marquis.

If you were going on a leisure trip to ATL--which would you stay at and why?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Atlanta, Georgia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Atlanta Marriott Marquis
Atlanta, Georgia, USA The Ritz-Carlton The Ritz-Carlton, Atlanta
  • Re: Atlanta Ritz vs Marriott Marquis
    Katrin Platinum

If you have a gold or platinum membership, I would recommend the Marriott Marquis.  We (also family of four) stayed at numerous Atlanta Marriott properties this past month, including the Ritz in Buckhead.  The pool was great, but any full-service Marriott is our top choice over any Ritz.  The Marriotts provided us free upgrades, including free breakfast, bigger rooms and access to the concierge lounge, which means free dinner snacks. If the lounge was closed, we received additional points.  I personally would choose the Marriott because of the lounge and indoor access to the MARTA train.  It's more convenient and provides a greater value.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

wilmingtonfam4 Platinum

Thanks for the information! We do want to be close to Olympic Park for walking and being near the aquarium. Saw some neat photos of the atrium at the Marquis so leaning towards the Marquis for our reservation.

Thanks all for the feedback! In your experience was the concierge lounge family friendly--sometimes I get looks when I bring in my 5-year-old even though he remains well behaved/quiet.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

My personal favorite is the JW Marriott in Buckhead.  Excellent staff, large rooms, great concierge lounge.  Nice large indoor pool.  It's connected to a large shopping mall (Lennox Square).  It's also right across from the Lennox Marta station.

nmballoonist Platinum

I have to agree with the recommendation of the JW.  Staff is excellent and Hannah in the lounge is exceptional.  Many places to eat nearby and the JW will drive you anywhere within a couple of mile if you don't have a car.  The MARTA will get you downtown if you want to take in things like the aquarium or the Coke museum.  Its my regular place unless they have no rooms.

ppezzano Platinum

Unless you just want a specific amenity of a Ritz, I would go with the Marquis all of the way.  Marquis is a great hotel and my son of similar age loves it.  The wide open atrium he can see all the way up (and down when upstairs) is a lot of fun.  I find the DT Ritz to be not a great value and not to be one of the nicer Ritz I've stayed in.  The rooms are not very big and the service was fairly average.  All things being equal even if the price was the same I would go with the Marriott - but some people just love the Ritz. One plus for the Ritz though is the Ritz Kids program, which if you don't have a sitter and want an evening out is a nice feature.

I would also second vaboywnder that in addition to these hotels there are a number of great properities in the Atlanta area in the Marriott family.  You mention leisure trip, so obviously Ritz/Marquis are great choices if you are hitting the Olympic Park area.

If being close to the park isn't a requirement a few additional options that are nice and often good value:

- Marriott Suites Midtown (a little space with the family) and often very cheap on weekends

- JW Marriott (noted above) - cheap on weekends and right next to the MARTA station and literally connected to a mall

- Renaissance Midtown - very nice 4 star hotel with roof top restaurant/bar and very walkable to a number of places - plus only a few blocks from MARTA.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...