15 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2017 3:27 PM by jlowery35242 RSS

Big Sur, Pacific Coast Highway, Monterey...

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

So, IAHFLYR is always raving about Monterey (and the Monterey Marriott), but I don't remember his riffing on Pacific Coast Highway (or California State Route 1). As noted below, that was my error - apparently I just missed his prior posts....

Between the coast and the bridges, and the various scenic overlooks (or convenient spots to pull over), it's a wonder folks actually get anywhere, avoid collisions with oncoming vehicles, or don't simply drive off the road.

Sadly, the park and the walking trail down to McWay Falls was closed (due to fire risk).  Julia Pfeiffer Burns SP

McWay Falls 1(2016).jpg

But there was still plenty of eye candy ... well ... everywhere...

Cal Route 1 - Bridge(2016).jpg

Not sure I'll have time to post a full gallery/album, but ... wow...

My recollection was that pluto77 did some running out in that direction, but, other than that...  As, as noted below, pluto77 has spent times in the park itself.... Ah, jealous...

In any event, some miles slowly traveled, but sincerely enjoyed....  And a couple of additional photos.....

Here is a south-facing view - north of McWay Falls

PCH 2 (N of Big Sur)(2016).jpg

And here is a north facing view....

PCH (N of Big Sur)(2016).jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Monterey Peninsula, California, USA
  • Re: Big Sur, Pacific Coast Highway, Monterey...
    AZDesertRat Platinum

One of the most beautiful areas on earth.  The Amalfi coast is beautiful, but doesn't hold a candle to Highway 1.  Thanks for posting these photos and I hope you bring us more!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

These are great shots, ssindc!!  I'm going to have to agree with AZDesertRat, looking forward to seeing more of your photos and hope you get a chance to post them...soon!!

nationwide Platinum

Love these pictures ssindc !!!  I have to agree with your assessment, it truly is amazing that people don't drive off the roads out there with all the gorgeous views.  Keep 'em coming! 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

I agree with AZDesertRat that it is some of the most spectacular coastline in the world with equally stunning views, and yes, whomever is stuck with driving duty, definitely gets the short end of the stick.  Prior to becoming Marriott loyalists (okay, prior to becoming regular hotel stayers), we spent a number of summers camping at Julia Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park.  So much to do, see, experience in and around the Monterey Peninsula.  We're spoiled with such a lengthy and gorgeous coastal region, from not just the central coast, but all the way up to the Oregon border.

ssindc, I did the half marathon, which only extends as far as the links at Spanish Bay, but still a pleasant course (I don't run anymore... walking only, in an effort to increase longevity on a thrice injured knee.  Even so, the race as well as course is world class and beyond my qualifications.)

boatpi Platinum 1 Reviews

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Fantastic photos ssindc!  Big Sur is definitely someplace I want to visit.  Bucket list item for sure!

Yeah, kharada46, the drive is legitimate bucket list fodder. 

Ah, pluto77, I was bummed the park was closed.  Pleased to hear that SOMEONE has experienced it.  Someday... next time... blah, blah...

Sure, boatpi, if you need me to drive one of your cars down the coast, just lemme know...  (And, don't worry, I've got plenty of experience driving with a manual transmission.....)

And thanks carat and  AZDesertRat and nationwide - glad to see that folks are enjoying the pics....

pch view.JPGDrive through Big sur

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

I love driving down Highway 1 in the summer. I have several pictures of the beautiful scenery. I enjoy going to Pfeiffer beach which is a beautiful tucked away beach perfect for sunbathing and just walking down the beach you can easily escape any crowd that managed to find it. Also if you are looking for a bite with a view, dont miss out on stopping by Nepenthe restaurant with seaside cliff views.

Thanks, jm1991, for mentioning the Nepenthe restaurant (which I had not heard of).  When I drove past, it appeared to be packed, with cars jammed into the parking lot.  I figured I was missing something, but I didn't know what!

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

yes there are alot of cars but the times that ive gone, which is for dinner time at around 5pm i had no trouble getting a table quick. You can also get drinks and appetizers from the bar and they have seating all around, bar style or outside patio for people who do not need a table.

We stopped last year at the gas pumps in Big Sur for a brief pit stop.  they have outside dining adjacent.  When we drove off it was like 3 F1 cars launching.  I looked to my right and all 40 or so diners stood up with mouths wide open....

This is better, just south of Big Sur.  Big Sur 2015 drive - YouTube

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

ssindc ahhh, but I believe you must have missed my mention of Big Sur long ago as I do not make the drive down PCH much as now we fly into MRY.  Been to the Pfeiffer Beach if that gets me out of trouble again!!

PFIFFER BEACH.JPG

jlowery35242 Platinum 1 Reviews

Certainly one of my favorite drives and I have seen all the places in your pic - you did great job in getting spme greet shots! Wish I was driving down! right now!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...