9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2016 8:50 PM by tker RSS

Airport Transportation: JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa?

Katrin Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

We will be flying into Liberia airport in Costa Rica and stay at the JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa.  Does anyone have tips on transportation from and to the airport?  $120 for a one-way for private transportation listed on their website is steep.  We prefer not to rent a car.  Maybe the hotel has any deals for platinum members? Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Guanacaste, Costa Rica JW Marriott JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa
  • Re: Airport Transportation: JW Marriott Guanacaste Resort & Spa?
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Katrin,

I have the same questions.

SeaTexan, (from another thread) I am glad your house (sans garage) was spared the flooding.  I hope you had a great time in Costa Rica.  Do you usually stay at the JW?  Which airport do you use and how do you do transportation between the airport and the resort?  Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

seachi Platinum

I've worked through this same exact issue. Price the top rated transportation companies on Trip Advisor for the area and book with them directly.

I feel like TA could answer roughly 50% of the questions on this forum.

seatexan Platinum

Hey Katrin,

I was just at the JW last week. It's really a great place however you are somewhat in the middle of no where.  I spent 2 days there and it was enough.  The JW is a little over an hour from the airport.  I would say $120 is not bad.  I bet you could get transportation for $100 if you said, "I will pay you 100" as it is low season. It cost me $100 from Liberia to Tamarindo.  If you want the company I use, send me a PM and I will give you the contact info.   I go 2x a year and 100-120 is normal.  

pluto77 I don't usually stay there.  I stay either with my parents at their house (they live in Flamingo) or at a condo in Tamarindo. 

Renting a condo in Aug or Sept (low season) is really the way to go for the best bang for your buck.  You are able to cook your own meals if you don't want to go out.  I stay at either Sunrise condos or the Diria condos.  They are in Tamarindo and EVERYTHING is walkable. If you want info on those, let me know.

The JW does not have any deals for Plat members when it comes to transportation.  As it is a resort, you don't really get too many deals.  No CL or M-Club, no free breakfast.  You get a discount at 2 of their restaurants.

I suggest you make reservations for the restaurants. I plan on doing a little write up on the JW.

I do not recommend renting a car if you are not familiar with the roads there or driving with INSANE people. Chicken is very common and I can't tell you how many people die due to motorcycle crashes.   The roads are winding and passing a vehicle needs to be done with really good timing.

Taxis are a good way to get around but it needs to be a REAL Taxi.  They are RED cars with YELLOW triangles on them.  DO NOT get into anything but an official Taxi.  This really goes for any country you are in, not just Costa Rica.  You will see guys hanging out by their cars saying, "Taxi!!!". Many of them are Colombian and well... trouble.  I don't care if the sign says "taxis"... if they are not red with a yellow triangle, just say no.

If you have questions let me know. 

Katrin Platinum

Thanks for the great info.  We will only be staying there for two nights, so we booked at JW and were able to get a great rate.  That should give us just enough time to surf and explore the area a bit. Yes, I would appreciate any contact info for shuttle services.  Thank you again! 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Thanks, great info SeaTexan.

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

We were there in February (JW and Punta Islita). Had a rental for part of the time,but we stayed longer than our son and his wife. We used this company to return to LIR. Great service. I think it was $50.00 for a shared ride. Very comfortable. We had booked private for $100, but they called day before and offered $50 to share with couple leaving same time.

Liberia Airport Transportation - Shared shuttles, private transfers, taxis, buses and car rental

oscar54 Platinum 2 Reviews

The best to do is to rent a car the hotel is in the middle of nothing, then to go to some restaurants or town  you most drive, and forget about upgrades they always try to sell you a better location , nice place but the taxi o private transportation is expensive  really expensive

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...