36 Replies Latest reply: Sep 9, 2016 7:49 PM by getawaysoon RSS

Flight and Hotel Packages

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I would like someone to explain to me exactly how the flight and hotel packages work. I think I understand but if someone has direct knowledge and has booked it before to please fill me in. I am aware of the 7 nights being continuous and issued as a cert, I am just unsure how the air part works. Do they credit your FF account and you then have to use those miles for that specific trip? Say you have enough air miles to book the trip using miles. You don't "need" the air miles to book the trip, so do they simply credit your account or do you have to use them as part of the package? Also, with regards to the hotel stay, lets say it's a MVC property that has a Guest Room No View, and then two types of Villas that are CLEARLY better in every aspect. Does the 7 night voucher only work on the "worst" rooms? Any help would be appreciated!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Flight and Hotel Packages
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

ks77,

The Travel packages are very flexible.  Marriott will credit your Airline Frequent Flier Account with the miles usually within 2-3 business days and its up to you how you use the miles.  The 7 night certificate is added to your rewards account and is valid for one year.  If you do not use the certificate within one year you can call and request an extension on it.  I think you also have the option of redeeming more points if you later decide to upgrade the certificate to a higher category.

I don't have any experience with redeeming points/certificates at MVC properties but would imagine that you would either have to pay or use additional points to get an upgraded room.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

Here's a blog on insiders I wrote on using Travel Packages. We love them. Its a few years old, so any reference to US Airways should be substituted for AA.

Maximizing Marriott Rewards Travel Packages: Se... | Marriott Rewards® Insiders

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

The answers are right, and you can also ask for a 5-night package if you talk to the rewards line, even if you are not a MVC owner. I got the 5-night package with 120,000 miles sent to Southwest Airlines FF account. I immediately was awarded the Companion Pass for my wife, which will last for almost 2 years. That way we can use those 120,000 miles for me for short connector flights around the US (actually using it for our cheap trip to PVR in October too), and my wife flies for about $20 dollars in fees, for unlimited times during that 2 years. Great way to use the package for maximum value.

corrie1013 Platinum

@tryt53 When did you order the 5 night package? Was it recently?

corrie1013, we called about Feb of this year. I have gotten the same deal in previous years too. It is not publicized, so you have to call Rewards and inquire about it. If you don't get someone who will let you do it, I'd try again later, and hopefully talk to another person.   Here's a link to an article with the award chart points needed. Let me know if you don't see it.

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2016/01/14/marriott-5-night-travel-packages-exist-but-theyre-secret/

Regards,

Tim

corrie1013 Platinum

I remember seeing that posting from Frequent Miler back in February but then started to see others say that when they called they were told they had to be MVC owners.  So, was just wondering when it was that you were able to secure the 5-day package.  I'd love the 5-night package....

Also corrie1013, I'd wait till Jan/Feb of next year, if you're thinking of doing the 120.000 mile transfer to get the Southwest Companion Pass, since it is good for the rest of the year you get it, and the whole next year. That way, you get almost 2 years out of your other person getting to fly almost free My Southwest Companion Pass was awarded within 2 days of initiating the transfer from Marriott!

jonsummers Gold

So instead of getting the companion pass from the credit card deal go through the vacation pass and those will qualify for the 100K miles needed for a SouthWest companion pass?

Yes, get the 5 day pkg with 120,000 miles,because you need 110,000 to get the companion pass. Will get it a couple of days later. If you did it now you'd only get 4 moths plus all of next year. Wait till January and get most of 2017 and all of 2018!

malstott45 Platinum

tryt53, thanks for your comments.  I'm actually headed to MVC Aruba Ocean Club this Saturday for a week doing the Hotel + Flights package using the 120k Southwest points for companion.  I think I must have got really lucky with my dates as I was originally going to a MVC propertry in Orlando and just happened to notice one day that space had randomly opened up in Aruba.  Question I have is this....

What is the best way to identify where MVC properties have availablity to use my Marriott rewards points for future reservations?  When I look out to next year already I can't find any properties with anything available except may St. Kitt's MVC.  Does Platinum reservations maybe have an easy way of identifying MVC properties accepting reservations with points?  The weeks don't necessarily matter to me as I'm pretty flexible on my timing for trips.  From what I've read on other sites the flexible calendar doesn't seem to be accurate at all for MVC properties when trying to redeem marriott rewards points.

Thanks for any thoughts!

malstott45 I really can't help with the MVC questions. Sorry, but someone else here might have the answer.

MVC properties are difficult to get on MRP. Also, keep in mind that the base rate for MRP when they are available is for the guest room only. When you go to the 1 or 2 BR, they require additional points. (You likely know that part as you are at the OC now...we are nearby at the RC.) Remember at the OC, you can use the Marriott Pool next door-just not the adult only pool. ENJOY!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

One of these days tryt53 I will look into those packages, but as I've mentioned previously most likely not on Southwest so hope I can find them on UA, AA or even DL if going in that direction.  Your help and ideas with them will be most valuable as they have been to many Insiders. 

Thank you and yes will miss seeing you in a couple of weeks, but totally understand what you got instead!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I did one of these last year, ks77. It's really easy. Simply call the Plat line and tell them the category of hotel certificate you would like and the number of miles you want sending to your frequent flyer account, making sure you have your frequent flyer number to hand. Do understand, once they press the button on the transaction it is irreversible. In my case the miles arrived in my Virgin Atlantic account within the hour. You don't need to have any immediate plan when you call, I called Marriott and ordered the package in August but didn't use the miles till October for for an April flight. I ordered a Cat6 certificate but as my plans changed called to upgrade it to a Cat8, for which I paid the point difference. Early the next year it became obvious that my chosen hotel wouldn't be built in time, so the hotel agreed to compensate me with the points necessary to upgrade the Cert again to a Cat9 and we used it on the Miami Stanton SoBe.

So, yes, easy to get, just a phone call, and easy to upgrade the certificate category later if you want to. No need to use the miles with the certificate at all. Like all redemptions the 7-night cert can only be used for standard rooms, but call the property, our city view room was upgraded to an ocean view, and my, what a view!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Thanks brightlybob!

getawaysoon Gold

@brightlybob,  So if I understand correctly, you don't even need to have specific plans for where you want to go?

bazzap Platinum

Correct, I normally do order my 5 night Travel Packages (as an MVC Owner) before finalising my itinerary.

The Miles sit in my Frequent Flyer account and the Nights sit in my MR account until I am ready to make my bookings.

getawaysoon Gold

ok, will have to try one of these. it is just a different way to plan a vacation.

mycatdixie Gold

This discussion about the 5 night packages makes me burn. All of you know this is supposed to be reserved for ONLY OWNERS. I really  do get upset that you are requesting  and being granted this option. I have a lot of hard earned money tied up in that program and so do many others. This is quite frankly stealing a perk that belongs to us. I do think I am going to report this abuse and see if they will investigate and stop this abuse!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

What abuse?

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

mycatdixie, I think brightlybob ran the numbers on this and concluded that there was no real benefit to the 5 night package because MR gives you a free 5th night if you redeem points for 4 nights.  So you'd be better off with the 7-night package or simply redeeming MR points for 4 nights and redeeming MR points separately for airline points.  brightlybob. please correct me if I'm wrong!

What if you are a Gold Elite and get an upgrade to a Suite at a property while a Platinum who has spent more money and time in Marriott properties does not get the upgrade due to it being given to a Gold?  Is that also "abuse"?

If you don't you should as they are running side by side!!

mycatdixie Gold

IAHFLYR I never expect an upgrade and I appreciate that a Platinum should always be given an upgrade over a gold. My problem with the topic here, is suggesting that rewards members, who are not owners, be encouraged to call Marriott for the 5 night awards. They are very valuable because I don't want to spend 7 nights on most stays and it takes fewer points to get the award. Airline points, if done with a direct transfer, are (my memory may be incorrect here) something like 3 to 1. A ridiculous amount of points. The travel package can end up being cheaper than requesting airline points only.

I'm sorry I don't know how to properly tag the poster here, so I know this was not done correctly.

Not to worry mycatdixie.  I understand your frustration yet at the same time understand that if a property has vacant rooms that is money lost.  It would be my thought that a MVC would have a time line in place for owners to fill in their desired times to visit and after that time open it up to other Reward members to use the property in order to continue to increase revenue thus keeping owners costs down. 

Just my thoughts and you should expect upgrades as it is an Elite perk, you just may not get them!!

In order to tag a person simply type the @ symbol and then without a space type in their screen name such as @mycatdixie and it will populate the name as you type. Once you find the exact name you want to tag simply click on that name and poof, there you have it mycatdixie.

mycatdixie Gold

Thank you for the tagging information IAHFLYR

Yes, the MVC does open up unused inventory  at a certain point. This can be purchased or reserved with MR points. I have no problem with that and it is just good business sense. My only issue here is allowing  non owners to redeem for the 5 night travel  packages.

getawaysoon Gold

To me, it is an advantage to be able to book a 5 night package rather than 7 nights.  If i am staying in a hotel vs. a Marriott Vacation Club I might not want to use 7 nights.  Marriott Vacation Club stays do lend themselves to a more leisurely stay.

I don't think that's the same situation. That is not a guaranteed perk. The 5 day TP is reserved for those that invested in MVCI properties to add additional time on vacation or for additional trips.

To me, its the same as seeing a bunch of Silver Elites in the concierge lounge. Not a benefit of Silver. Shouldn't be happening.

YogiB Platinum

Despite the status, I hate to see big families hording the food in the concierge lounge. I was given complimentary access once and once I paid an upgrade fee for lounge access this year when I was Silver.

However, despite what their status might be, some people behave like pigs, which is actually the reason many lounges are simply closed on weekends. I'd prefer to address that situation in stead of complaining about an incidental Silver Elite being given lounge access.

That all should be addressed. Lounge access is for the elite member plus one. UNLESS, they paid for multiple lounge level rooms.

Uh, oh.  I bring spouse and kids into CL for breakfast.  Nobody has ever questioned us or said we had too many people along.  85% of my travel is solo for business, so most of my CL use is me, myself and I, though!

YogiB Platinum

Sorry clebert, I didn't mean to generalize all families (I was hoping to focus on the "hording"). Some parents just can't control their kids or may even worse than kids. The snacks between 5 and 7 PM are... well... snacks ("hors d’œuvres", if you like it fancy), but some people use it for their full dinner (and they don't lack an appetite).

In Winnipeg last month we had a big Arab family that may have set a record: one father, sitting with his wife and son for breakfast. His wife was not allowed to talk to the Lounge's (female) concierge, so he had to arrange everything. 10 minutes later, he had another 3 wifes (I presume) coming in with another horde of kids. CHAOS, despite their best intentions. And I bet they're not paying for 5 or more rooms, nor are all the adults Gold or Plat members.

I do not want to get un-PC here, but I felt that the Delta may have been a bit too PC.

When I spend more than 2-3 days in a lounge, I talk a bit more with the lounges' concierges and they do regularly experience problems when big bad-mannered families horde the food. They generally stop supplying food until they leave the lounge, leaving other patrons temporarily without food. But they'll try to restock the buffet as fast as possible when the coast is clear.

YogiB, sounds like quite a family you encountered.  Rule in my house is that multiple wives are only allowed if they have six-figure salaries and love cooking and cleaning.  Thus far, the position(s) remain open!

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi everyone.  Wanted to jump in and shed a little light that you may find helpful.  It sounds as though there is a little confusion between the Owner Travel Packages and the packages offered by Vacations by Marriott.   The Owner Travel Packages are not part of Vacations By Marriott, and are only offered to timeshare owners. They are not solicited to non-timeshare owners and we have been instructed that these cannot be ordered for non-owners.  Hope this helps clear up any confusion, but feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

getawaysoon Gold

Thanks, carat for clearing this up.  We are Marriott Vacation Club owners and we have been encouraged on sales presentations to use the air/hotel packages, not necessarily at Vacation Club locations but more for additional vacations using Marriott hotels. We have been told that the five night packages are only available to Vacation Club owners but I have heard that anyone can purchase these whether they are owners or not.

There are many times we travel where there is not a Marriott Vacation Club so staying in one of the Marriott hotels is very appealing especially when there are options like a Residence Inn where we have the option of a little more space and kitchen facilities.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...