13 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2012 8:56 AM by eb5147 RSS

Recommended resorts - east cost VA, NC, SC

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I have a good friend that just got back from Iraq. He is an active duty Marine officer and is within reach of the VA, NC, SC coastal areas.  He will have limited time away from work so keeping things in the VA/NC/SC area, perhaps northern GA is key.  I want to find a good place to send him and his wife for a little weekend RnR away from the kiddos once they get settled back into having him home.  Can anyone recommend a good resort/hotel, perhaps even a vacation club that I should look at for them?  I am going to guess they will consider doing some local activities but mostly just a place to rest and reconnect without having to drive great distances.  I imagine some good resturants, a pool or perhaps beach area, things like that where they can just enjoy some together would be the best thing.

I have plenty of points so dont let that slow down the suggestions :)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Recommended resorts - east cost VA, NC, SC
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Zukracer

South Carolina has the lions share of Marriott Vacation Clubs located at Myrtle Beach at Marriott's OceanWatch and Hilton Head Island:

With the exception of Ocean Watch and SurfWatch, the majority of MV clubs on Hilton Head Island enjoy high owner occupancy so they can be challenging to get into.

In Virginia, there is only one Vacation Club in Williamsburg, Marriott's Manor Club

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks TJC, any recommendations for which is better than the other?  They all seem to be about similar in points. 

I actually have put a few nights in at the Manor club, wasnt overly impressed.  It was nice and all but eh I guess if I was there to play golf it would have been better :)

Hilton Head island would be interesting but like you said they seem to be less avaialble.  Myrtle Beach is probably the easiest route, I'm finding 2 bedroom condos are available now for the same points as regular....guess they could take the kiddos with them.

lesliepamel Platinum

I know that it is outside your search area, but the Marriott Grand hotel at Point Clear, Alabama, is truly beautiful. It is right on the side of Mobile Bay. It is peaceful with fantastic gardens and lakes - kinda my idea of what heaven might be like!

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Friends have stayed at Marriott Myrtle Beach Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes and said good things.  If the kids go, Myrtle Beach is the place, otherwise shoot for a more relaxed Hilton Head.

tjcnewyork Platinum

How many nights does your friend have?  Is there a need to stay in one place the whole time?  If it were me and my wife, I'd spend a couple nights at SurfWatch, a night or two in Charleston and finish the week at Ocean Watch before heading home.  

carolinacouple Platinum 2 Reviews

The Marriott at Grand Dunes in Myrtle Beach is very nice.  It is right on the ocean and there are lots of great restaurants in Myrtle Beach.

The Renaissance in Charleston is also a nice place to stay and great restaurants nearby.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

Have they gone on vacation yet?  Where did you decide on if you've made one, and I imagine you have?  How did they like it?

Did you donate the room through a service organization?  I think you can deduct about $2000 for a room for charity.  Some people donate their points to churches or other organizations.

I really applaud your appreciation and help for service people and their families, no matter how well you know or don't know them..

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

eb,

I think this thread was started back in 2010, looking at the responses.  Good info, though.

I realized that, but for some reason, the lead in post was dated May, 2012 and was unanswered as a lost post.

There was another I answered that was similar in dates, also unanswered recent one, if I remember right.

Thanks.

P.S.:  I started wondering if the first date had been changed this year somehow, but when I saw May for starting post and Feb, 2010 for follow-ups, that lets that out.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

eb,

I think the wacky date on the first posting has something to do with time that the Marriott gang on here was sorting and filing old posts back in April, I think. It seems older dates were changed, for some reason.

Thanks, again.  :-)  My guess would be to keep them up on this site as a current topic.  Really dumb on their part, IMHO.  It's really frustrating in the first place to go to a topic just because they lead you to it via "Others like this topic" and after reading several, finding they are old as the hills and nobody is really interested anyway.

Maybe a better approach would be to have a decent search engine that you can search from any page, and then a file that says "Oldies but goodies" and delete insignificant posts.

Hi eb,

I actually wound up putting them in at Myrtle Beach for 4 nights.  They decided they wanted to take the kids with them so it made sense to go there for all the family fun spots.  I wasnt aware you could donate things to organizations as you mentioned, I just took care of the room for them so they could have some family time.   He's a great guy and it was the least I could do for all the sacrifices he's made over the years having been deployed many many times. 

I actually wound up taking my best friend on a vacation down to St Kitts when he got back from Iraq as well.  He's in the Army, and had deployed 5x to various places over a few years so we took about 4 days, turned off cell phones and enjoyed the island life for a while.

Having tons of points makes it easy for us to take vacations but the feeling you get knowing you have helped provide a little vacation for someone that puts it all on the line so we can do what we do is very fulfilling.   

I think that's great.  I know you had a good time and it would have been a great chance for him to unwind, too.

Thanks for the update on 2010.  I'm sure the family had a good time with so much to do there. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...