54 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2016 8:20 PM by ssindc RSS

When Was The Last Time You Ate Dinner in Your Hotel?

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

For many, it's an old adage: "Never eat in the hotel where you're staying!" (except for breakfast)

But, when was the last time you looked forward to having dinner (your main meal of the day) in your hotel, and which hotel (s) would you recommend the same for others, particularly Marriott properties? Eating free meal (snacks usually) in the concierge room excluded....

For me, the best Marriott Hotel  dinner experience my wife and I have enjoyed was at the Grand Flora, Rome, Italy. The food was well prepared, and service impeccable.....I even persuaded the Italian troubadour to serenade my wife, with "Non Dimenticar" .....(tried unsuccessfully to upload video clip, but unable to do so)

*Forgot to mention the Renaissance Ciocco Resort in Barga, Tuscany, Italy, and the Marriott Ocean Watch Hotel and Resort, North Myrtle Beach, SC.

Message was edited by: fschumpert

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Livonia, Michigan, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Detroit Marriott Livonia
Barga, Lucca, Italy Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Tuscany Il Ciocco Resort & Spa
Detroit, Michigan, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center
  • Re: When Was The Last Time You Ate Dinner in Your Hotel?
    j&c Platinum

We frequently stay at the Detroit Livonia Marriott to have dinner at their lobby restaurant Sweet Lorraine's, take in a movie reclining in a comfy Barcalounger at the on-site Phoenix Theater, and shop/walk at the attached Laurel Park Mall. Service at Sweet Lorraine's is always excellent and we find their menu innovative, healthy and local with wonderful daily specials. They provide an excellent weekend buffet breakfast as well! C

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
    Livonia, Michigan, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Detroit Marriott Livonia
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

The last time I ate dinner at my hotel was at the Memphis Marriott East. It wasn't so much about looking forward to eating there as it was a matter of convenience. Tired after a long day on the road, it was just easier to eat on site than go out. I usually like to explore the area in which I'm staying, so dining in is not something I do often.

At Gaylord properties, there are several restaurants on site, making it more appealing to eat at the resort. I also had a great meal at the MVC Grande Vista in Orlando. About 5% of my stays involve dinner at the hotel. Given that, I'm about due to do it again.

Now, stopping by the bar for a drink. That's a different story.

peymanagement Platinum

fschumpert, that is an excellent question. I have stayed 31 nights this year at Marriott hotels and my grand total of dinners in is 0. I have tasted the treats offered at the C lounge, but have not actually gone to the dining room. I had an excellent lunch at the Delta in Guelph. To answer your question the last dinner I had was at the same place as bejacob, an MVC in Orlando "The grill at grand vista". I thought the place was really good. However the only reason that I did it was there was a 30 dollar voucher attached to my room. I have nothing against Marriott dining rooms (other than some Courtyards) it is just that the world has so many choices to offer nearby most hotels.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I agree with the central tenet of this post that hotel food is generally pretty ordinary and always pricey, but some hotels do exceptional food, particularly the very high lux 5-stars which have destination restaurants as part of their offering such as Claridges and Savoy in London and Balmoral in Edinburgh.

Of the 50 UK Marriotts I frequent there are only a few where I'd recommend the restaurant, the rest are OK for a late-arrival fill-up but not much more really! One of the biggest issues is the generic hotel restaurant set up and despite good food the atmosphere is pretty generic at the Marriotts in Chepstow (St Pierre), Leicester, Cardiff, Slough/Windsor, and the Heathrow Ren, though as I said, the food is good.

If you find yourself at most of the U.K. Marriott Country Clubs, those restaurants usually stand up well, and here I look particularly at The Dalmahoy, Worsley Park, Hollins Hall and Breadsall Priory. Youll also find very good food on offer in London at both the West India Quay and Renaissance St Pancras. Surprisingly good food and ambiance is also to be found at the Leeds and Preston Marriotts, indeed at these two the restaurants are so good I almost always choose to dine in when staying. And my last dinner at a hotel was at the Leeds Marriott at the end of June....

trevfour Platinum

I agree brightlybob, the UK Marriott Country Clubs have excellent restaurants with great ambience. Hollins Hall and Breadsall Priory are our favourites, eaten in both this year ( took the better half to Breasdall for Valentines, when the hotel put on an especially good menu - we were the oldest couple there mind!).

In fact we are back at Breadsall tomorrow night, will eat in again. In the bar just off the restaurant you can see the only remaining arch remaining from the monastic building that used to occupy the site.

Another favourite where we've dined is the Autograph Collection - The Glasshouse in Edinburgh. The restaurant has a superb location looking over the historic Carlton Hill, and aside from dinner, their breakfasts are devine.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

The Glasshouse in Edinburgh is great. Alas I havent so far had the opportunity to eat dinner there, but I'd say the cooked breakfast is one of the best I've ever had (and my portly frame is I good indicator I've eaten many!). Made fresh to order and delivered steaming hot for only a £5 supplement. Top, TOP Breakfast there.

As for the Breadsall, yes, I think the restaurant there is lovely. It's a pity there's so little left of the original monastery.

And again, trevfour we are both at different Marriotts on the same night, whilst you're enjoying the delights of the Breadsall Priory, I will be enjoying a far more modern experience dining at the Leeds Marriott!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hollins Hall and Breadsall Priory are on my list.  Thanks for posting!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

What a great question and it is very easy to remember as we do not eat meals in the hotel (other than breakfast).  fschumpert will know this spot well as he is one who first recommended this beautiful resort in Tuscany Tuscany Resort and Luxury Hotels | Renaissance Tuscany Il Ciocco Resort & Spa.

We had a scrumptious meal there on the terrace of La Veranda overlooking Barga, Italy, on our last night at the resort. The meal was a perfect ending to a wonderful stay in Tuscany, excellent service and of course some delicious Italian Vino alongside. 

I have no idea what the appetizer was at this point other than to say it was full of Tomatoes, Cheese, Red Onion, Farro and Basil with Olive Oil in a crispy shell....incredible flavors and fresh.  Both Pasta dishes were cooked perfectly and very different sauces.  If you visit this resort dining at least once at La Veranda is a must, right ssindc!!!

P1020826.JPGP1020827.JPG

We'd eat there again in a micro-second.

Location Brand Hotel
    Barga, Lucca, Italy Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Tuscany Il Ciocco Resort & Spa
      fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

CORRECT!

50th Anniversary 038.jpg

While staying at Ciocco in Tuscany, we didn't even consider venturing out to eat dinner - the chef even asked us if we wanted a special entre prepared for us, so we chose veal piccata. Of course, this hotel is a bit "off the beaten path", and not too many other dining choices close by.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Almost two years ago, I started a thread about how bad the dining choices are at so many Marriott (and other) hotels, other than for breakfast.  Many of the choices were dismal!

Nevertheless, there are exceptions. 

I have had several excellent dinners at Marriott hotels.  The ones that come to mind, include:  Allentown, PA Renaissance;  Hartford, CN Farmington Marriott; Mystic CN Marriott; Amsterdam Marriott, and the Baltimore Harbor Place Renaissance,.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Its   been a couple of years since i had dinner at the hotel. I do admit that i have used the CL a few times in lieu of dinner . I think the difficulty hotels have with getting walk ins to eat dinner have made it difficult to have a great restaurant . The last two i think i ate in were burlington and newton ma 

My last hotel restaurant dining was at Hotel de Bourgtheroulde, Autograph Collection: Rouen Unique Hotels

this past spring, and it was delicious.  La Brasserie les deux Rois is a simplified version of their fine dining restaurant, run by the same chef and serving up traditional french dishes.  The meal was delicious, the service impeccable, and the pricing was quite reasonable.  The Sole Meunière, was fresh and tasteful, the execution, quite polished.  Watching the server adroitly remove the entire skeleton from the fish without compromising the aesthetic appearance of the entree was quite amusing.  Sorry, no photo.

I've also dined at the Prague Marriott as well as the Munich Airport Marriott (in Freising) and both were delicious.  Check out the white asparagus soup in the Munich Airport Marriott bar:

IMAG1479.jpg

In the states... Well, we had wonderful appetizers when a few of us got together one evening in late November 2014 at Edgar's Bar at the Mayflower hotel, compliments of our very own NathalieF.  Delicious food (and it goes without saying, lovely company in the form of erc & Mrs., bejacob, as well as Nathalie and her boss & his Mrs.)  Alas, no foodie pics, but the appetizers were delicious.

Also, if ever in the Newport Coast, CA area, check out The Pelican Hills Resort, which is directly across the street from MVCI Newport Coast (MVC NC sadly offering no real dining aside from a pool side bar with some sandwich type items served up in disposable containers.)

Alternately at Pelican Hills, The Coliseum Pool & Grill offers up some respectable dishes, while overlooking the world's largest round swimming pool and the Pacific ocean beyond.

IMAG3395d.jpg

IMAG3403d.jpg

I almost forgot, the lobster tacos at the Cabo Resorts - Hotels | JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa were yummo in the tummo.  Big chunks of lobster prepared in a yummy sauce, with beans, avocado and home made tortillas.  Mmmm!!

SAM_2105w.jpg

Message was edited by: pluto77

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Unless you count room service, almost never.  I just don't like the time wasted waiting for waiters, food, check, etc.

However, when we stay at Renaissance hotels we do often get room service, and often it is pretty decent.  I know that's not a high bar, but for me, food is just necessity.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

any time i have eaten in the hotel there are few other dinners. to be considered a full service they have to offer dinner but i bet it is  loss leader

The hotels that I mentioned above, had a decent number of customers.   I think that the shortage of diners is often because the restaurants are poor.

captbigguy Platinum 4 Reviews

Technically, last night...  Zapped a frozen dinner in the room.

Realistically, it was a couple of years ago at the CY in Vinings, GA (Atlanta) where I was staying for about 9 months.  They served a limited menu at night from the bar, but the food was excellent.  They had a spinach and mushroom quesadilla that I would order every Monday night.  In fact, Cynthia, the bartender, saw me heading toward the bar, and immediately turned and put my order in.  They made a salsa verde there that was the best I've ever had.

Unfortunately, the property is no longer a Marriott and I'm not working in Vinings.  But, man oh man, I'd love to have one of those quesadillas...

A good quesadilla is not that hard to make.  Just read recipes until you find one that sounds similar and make it,  It may require some fine tuning but after a few tries, you should master it!

During the fine tuning of making Dilla's try to grill them, outstanding flavor.

Agree!  Even just some cheese on a flour tortilla thrown on the grill comes out pretty darned good...

Oh for sure.  Although my first run in with this wasn't at a hotel it was at a Texans Tailgate before the game, Philly Cheese Steak Dilla!!!!  Dang it was great and I tried it a few weeks later, even better due to me knowing my grill and fresh ingredients as you mention.

Wonder why I've never seen that on a menu even in hotels in Philly?

As something of a novice chef, I would disagree to a degree with what you are saying.  There are several factors that can affect the taste of any dish you fix including the brand of ingredients, cookware used, oven/grill/stove temps, origin of fresh ingredients, techniques, etc.  I actually have the recipe for the salsa verde they made, but while mine is good, it's just not quite the same as Javier's was.  Maybe it was the cilantro he used.  Maybe the pan.  I also know what was in the quesadilla and have tried to copy them, but, again... very good, but not quite theirs.  And of course there was the atmosphere of Cynthia and Rummy (the night chef) when things were kind of slow... LOL

One thing I do remember was that Javier told me to NEVER sauté the cilantro with the rest of the salsa ingredients.  Always let the tomatilla/onion/garlic etc mixture cool a bit and add fresh chipped cilantro.  It does make a difference.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

I absolutely never eat dinner at the hotel unless it's room service.

Breakfast, yes, but only because it's free.

mustanggt Platinum

Since all of my travel is leisure, I generally select hotels that contain upscale dining and lounges.  As such, I usually always eat in the hotel one evening and then go out on the town the other evenings.  Some of the hotels I've been to recently where I ate dinner and had a fabulous experience are as follows: Wentworth-by-the-Sea Marriott, Portsmouth, NH; The Press Hotel (Autograph Collection), Portland, ME, Renaissance Waterfront, Boston, MA; JW Marriott San Antonio, San Antonio, TX; Ritz Carlton, Boston, MA ;and The Envoy Hotel (Autograph Collection), Boston, MA.  By the way, if you get a chance to stay at the Envoy Hotel in Boston you absolutely must go to the Rooftop Lounge for a drink.  It has quickly become the place to go to see and be seen on Boston's waterfront. It is best to go during the week because there can be long lines of non-hotel guests waiting to get in on weekends.

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

If it's a full service hotel, most of the time, if not then obviously I look for options..RE: AC hotels, Courtyard etc.

Generally I've been pleased with the menu and the offerings, but for me it's a time and convenience issue however I can see others look for off property eating just to see (experience) something different...

JD

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Yup, fschumpert, interesting query - and worth thinking about....

• Since much of my travel is business/work related, I frequently find that I'm eating in hotel restaurants.  As a result, I really appreciate both choices and quality!
    • Absolutely, IAHFLYR, the Il Ciocco restaurants (in Tuscany, Barga) were a pleasure!!!!  I riffed on that here: A Tuscan Gem with Renaissance Style!
    • We really enjoyed our dinner and view in the Chicago Renaissance downtown, on the river at Great Street (Great Street Chicago Hotel Restaurant)
    • The Renaissance Mayflower downtown in DC...  but ... for out of towners, remember, there are plenty of options in DC....
    • The JW Marriott Le Merigot in Santa Monica has a very (very) pleasant outdoor (casual) restaurant.
    • I hosted a wonderful dinner (for a relatively large party) at the Berlin Marriott Potsdamer Platz at the Midtown Grill a few years back. (American Steak Restaurant in Berlin - Steakhouse | Berlin Marriott Hotel)   Everyone left quite happy.
    • In Houston, I'm a fan of the Line & Lariat at the Houston Autograph Icon - nice service, good food. (Hey, IAHFLYR, have you tried it?)
    • Not necessarily in the same category, but I willingly concede that, at the Newark Airport Marriott, the Aviation Grill is competent, the staff are pleasant, and the food is surprisingly good.
    • For epicures, I would have started with the New Orleans Renaissance Arts (Warehouse) hotel and their signature restaurant, but I understand that that restaurant/chef is no longer the same, so ... I dunno...

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

2011, Courtyard near the Venice IT airport.  They actually have a fabulous restaurant there.

Same year, the Williamsburg Inn, in Colonial Williamsburg.

2012 or 2013 at Nage, in the Courtyard Embassy Row, Washington DC.

Other that these, I can't remember any others since and very few before - other than sales meetings or other events where you are in the hotel and that is where they are serving dinners.

Funny how the mind works, but psudad's post reminded me that I hosted a dinner in the Courtyard at the Hafen (Harbor) in Dusseldorf, Germany - interesting restaurant, with killer harbor views, and good food (and more reasonably priced than some of the over-the-top alternatives nearby).

As an aside, the Hafen is an architect's dream - what a wild area!!!  Check it out:

MedienHafen Düsseldorf

trevfour Platinum

The very last time...... About an hour ago, Breadsall Priory.

image.jpeg

The better half standing by the 13th century arch, the only remaining structure from the original priory that stood on the site.

image.jpeg

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I think our last dinner at the hotel where we were staying was at the Renaissance Suites at CLT.  It was Valentine's Day, and we just landed from AUA and came straight to the hotel for a late 10pm dinner.  It was really good.  Service was great, and the food was as well.  The server gave the ladies red roses for Valentine's Day.

Before that, we ate at the restaurant at the Marriott South DFW where we were staying, and that meal was excellent as well.  I wish I could eat those soft pretzels with beer-cheese sauce again...mmmm

Other favorites that I can recall:  The Grill and Gumbo Lindo at RC Naples Vanderbilt Beach; the casual restaurant at RC Amelia Island, Atardi at Marriott Stellaris Aruba, the restaurants at St. Kitts Beach Club, the restaurant at the JW Le Merigot in Santa Monica, the restaurant at the Ren LAX, Max at Hotel Minneapolis, the restaurant at Marriott City Center Minneapolis, the restaurant at St. Pete/Clearwater Marriott, the restaurant at Marriott Metro Center DC, Luna at RC Ft. Lauderdale, Elway's at RC Denver, the restaurant at Marriott ATL, Longboards at Ko Olina Beach Club, the restaurant at Casa Monica in St. Augustine, the restaurant at the Gateway to the Falls, Niagara Falls, the Florentine at JW Chicago....all of these were good. 

j&c Platinum

Last night - in the Detroit Marriott Renaissance Center Concierge Lounge! I know that the CL was not the intention of the original questioner And it is a rare evening that J and I actually have dinner in the CL. Last night was one of them! Outstanding baked cod in caper butter sauce with roasted potatoes, along with cheese/cold veggie appetizers and a great honor bar offering. The best ever (for us ) desserts, too. No simple cookie, no sir! Apple tart, lemon custard bars, chocolate cup cakes with Swiss meringue frosting, 2 types of chocolate fudge brownies, and Greek pastries. Tasty!  Magnificent view up the Detroit River from their 2-story lounge. Wonderfully warm staff - a very happy place! C

Location Brand Hotel
    Detroit, Michigan, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center
      insertcoffee Platinum

clebert I'm so glad you posted this. I was just looking at this hotel last night for an upcoming trip. I'd be interested in any other comments  you had on it, and, more broadly, about your experience in Detroit, a city I've not spent much time in for the last few years.  It's totally off topic for this thread, but if you PMd  be, that would be great.

j&c, great CL feedback, particularly as it is a CL in the US, which from what I've read, as well as in my own experience, a number of guests don't appear to feel that US CL's hold a candle to CL's outside of the US, so - Yay. Thanks for posting.

insertcoffee Platinum

Every time I see one of these threads, I think Marriott will use it to justify another reduction of services. Glad to see people largely responding in the affirmative.

I've not been in FS Marriotts much this year, but have visited friends and colleagues in theirs. Have had multiple dinners and I *always* have at least one dinner at the hotel every business trip, sometimes all meals. On pleasure, depends on the location-- and usually have selected meals out as we plan our trip; having said that, still always have a dinner in the hotel, often the night before departure or the night of arrival.

rinny54 Platinum 1 Reviews

We usually eat @ the hotel the first night we get there unless it's too late.  Once checked in, we go to the bar, get a drink, order dinner & relax.  It's a good way to chat with the bartender or other guests & get the "lay of the land" so to speak. The last time we did this was last month @ the Stamford CT Marriott. Depending on our schedule wherever we are, we may or may not eat @ the hotel again. We do like to vary out dining to include different foods & restaurants in the area. Usually, the food is good, but we have had some not so good experiences and just tell the manager or mention it on our evaluation.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

fschumpert

Very nice and interesting post.  When I traveled on business, I always ate at the Marriott FS restaurant.  It just was more convenient and less time consuming than traveling to an outside facility. The European restaurants were always quality, but we share the Marriott Resort restaurant in Myrtle Beach as one I frequent when staying at the Vacation Club there.  In retirement I continue eating at and enjoying the Marriott on-site restaurants.  And the Grandkids enjoy their room service!

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

I eat quite a lot in the uk but have had some hit and misses newcastle marriott metro centre had a great meal deal on when I was there in November 3 courses and a glass of wine £22 food was great and place was very busy best meal I've ate in a Marriott for ages went back in April no deal on place was empty only 2 tables waited and waited and eventually went out and got the manager who was very apologetic and got us a waitress who was smelling of smoke and not very friendly over the course of the meal I had to leave my seat  3 times to find her again before I flipped out and sat the manager down at the table and explained both visits the meal was comped not sure I will try it again . Edinburgh 2 weeks ago we ate in the hotel full service restaurant no complaints at all apart from drink prices but when you've sat in the lounge for 2 hrs prior drinking free beer and wine it's no big deal we also ate in the Scottsdale Marriott one night it was ok but way way overpriced

corrie1013 Platinum

This is a great topic and I love seeing all the responses...helps if others are planning trips to those locations.

For us, the very last Marriott that we ate at was the Renaissance Baton Rouge a couple of weeks ago (prior to the horrific flooding).  We were on our family road trip to Florida and Baton Rouge was halfway, so that's where we stopped for the night. 

We got there late (around 7pm, which is late for my girls to eat dinner) and didn't want to have to look around for restaurants, so decided to eat at the hotel.  The staff was great and so sweet with my girls- they were a bit stir-crazy from being cooped up in a car all day.  The food was very good- I had an oyster po-boy and my husband had the shrimp po-boy- but the best thing about the experience is that the owner of the hotel happened to be eating there that night with his family as well.  They were at the table right next to us and as they were leaving, our server came over to tell us that the owner had picked up the tab for our dinner!  I was shocked and grateful- it was a wonderful surprise after a harrowing day on the road with 2 kids.  Not sure what his motivation was, but my husband thinks it's because the owner saw my husband's badge (he's in federal law enforcement).  I thought it was because he saw 2 stressed out parents and felt bad for us!

And- if future meals count- we'll be staying at the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort again over Labor Day and I can guarantee that we will be eating at Cibolo Moon- as we do every time we stay there.

and ... just this week ... I enjoyed a late (but tasty and satisfying) dinner at the Renaissance LAX (which is a well run, comfortable property).

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

I always say to get out of the hotel and eat, even if the hotel has a great restaurant.  But, more and more, hotel restaurants are becoming a destination themselves, IMO.  The last Marriott I ate at, and eat at kind of often, is the Waikiki Beach Marriott.  Sansei is one of our default choices for great sushi/contemporary Japanese cuisine.

12829417_10208446213414454_8164438920184853713_o.jpg

12841186_10208446213654460_3540660071877816639_o.jpg

Dungeness crab ramen with a black truffle butter dashi is pretty hard to resist! 

The property's Italian restaurant, Arancino di Mare, is also a default Italian (Japanese influenced) restaurant for us too.

11270681_10206459326103513_1893573258316175070_o.jpg

11357131_10206459325863507_488310916694818319_o.jpg

Their ricci di mare (uni pasta) is to die for, and I'm not a big uni fan.  The breakfast crepes at Arancino are pretty good, too.

470865_4610854750957_444426697_o.jpg

The JW Marriott Ihilani was also a favorite of mine when they were still around, especially the amazing rack of lamb and the piadina.

1400802_10202181808688251_1656074308_o.jpg

1397507_10202181809128262_924862417_o.jpg

The Royal Hawaiian Hotel's (Starwood) Azure is also one of the best restaurants on the island.

882809_10200713665665593_715166728_o.jpg

891867_10200713652745270_878000202_o.jpg

I'm in love with Ka'ana Kitchen at the Andaz Maui.

12792306_10208446230174873_3898883995482823976_o.jpg

12792154_10208446230934892_2450601596777378286_o.jpg

1941526_10204359790776442_5871682487597426251_o.jpg

Japengo at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach is also a SOLID option.

_MG_0335.jpg

Arancino di Mare's upscale sister, Arancino at the Kahala at the fabled Kahala Resort (Kahala Hilton, Kahala Mandarin) is hands down the best Italian dining experience on the island.

1400279_10207966730707686_6210817763853597619_o.jpg

1917591_10207966729467655_678257279460625804_n.jpg

12402192_10207966730187673_6257707934792152700_o.jpg

1979228_10203276076804270_1766961307_o.jpg

Depending what you order, the restaurants at Disney's Aulani can be pretty good too.

10355677_10203744065183687_7351200578740256853_o.jpg

10575212_10206467273102183_3884759317766948093_o.jpg

11288948_10206467272742174_7907239033589144837_o.jpg

Spago at the Four Seasons Maui is pretty popular.

10572026_10204356560935698_9089257134658809946_o.jpg

I'm a BIG fan of Goldfinch Tavern at the Four Seasons Seattle.

12184968_10207604152963469_7529411819731856188_o.jpg

11028711_10207604153643486_2376746583629988926_n.jpg

The Bazaar by Jose Andres at the SLS Beverly Hill (Starwood) is another great place.

_MG_6169.jpg

_MG_6195.jpg

And lets not forget dinner with the (in)famous erc at Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel's Tiki's Grill

1483972_10202632164226858_2050171336_o.jpg

superchief1 Platinum

As an aging Boomer, MVC owner, and a long-time Marriott loyal customer, I've eaten in many hotel restaurants over the years. We had several family meals at Marriott properties in the early years (especially at Marriott World Center) because they offered good food, healthy options for kids, and fair prices. Meals at that time included salads and vegetables, restaurants were busy but not overwhelming and service was excellent. During our weeks at Royal Palms in Orlando, we probably ate dinner 3-4 times at the family restaurant, and I still recall the waiter remembering that my picky daughter always wanted 'Romaine' instead of iceberg lettuce. However, at some point the restaurant prices increased, menu became a la carte, and quality/service declined. I observed a similar trend at other Marriott hotel restaurants, so we seldom ate at one for family vacations. Wine prices alone make family vacation dining cost prohibitive.

When traveling for business or without children, I've had mixed experiences. When the dinner for 2 certificates were available, we would have at least one very nice meal on every trip. Memorable fine dining experiences include Wentworth by the Sea, the resort near Laguna, and the former Marriott resort next to Ko Olina (Kharada help me out). These dining experiences were exceptional, and I would definitely eat there again even if not staying at the hotel.

I have also found restaurants at Renaissance hotels to be typically better than Marriott's in the USA. I've enjoyed good meals at the Renaissance Tampa (near airport), Denver Stapleton, and ClubSport Walnut Creek. Many airport Marriott's have decent food at a slight premium, with the exception of the Seattle airport Marriott that had Applebee's food at Capital Grill prices. The Courtyard at Portland City Center has a great on-site (independent) restaurant for breakfast and lunch.

I wish the hotel restaurants would offer salads with meals and reasonable wine price, and Marriott would offer family discounts or MR awards for meals at their restaurants.

Hey, fschumpert, does lunch count?

I had a nice lunch yesterday at the Newark Airport Renaissance. 

• Convenient
    • Comfortable
    • and ... the food was good.

What's not to like?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...