9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 18, 2016 3:48 PM by AndrewT RSS

Marriott or Ritz which rewards program to affiliate?

sethm Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hello all,

I recently acquired a Ritz card after being Platinum Elite with Marriott the last few years. The new Ritz offering is too good to pass up for me. After receiving the card, I called Ritz rewards and they asked me which club I would to affiliate. The rep explained the only difference was access to websites and info about promotions. I left it with Marriott until I had time to research.

As I understand it, if I stay with Marriott I will not be eligible for any Ritz promos. However, if I choose Ritz I will get all of their promos and if I call Ritz rewards they can sign me up for the Marriott promotions as well. They did say that I would lose access to the Marriott website.

Is the Ritz website as good or better than Marriott? Will I still have access to these forums? Is the information provided to me correct and are there any other items to consider?

Please share your experiences and thoughts with me on this matter.

Thank you...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott or Ritz which rewards program to affiliate?
    Platinum

sethm Here is a semi-new post on same subject with many responses:

Re: Ritz Carlton Points/Nights Accumulation

vaboywnder also created an extensive blog post on this subject here: Marriott Premier Visa vs Ritz-Carlton Rewards Card

That said...

I would love to know more about this as well. I'm wondering if even though I have the RC card, if I regularly stay at Marriott's but only stay at RC's now and then, is moving to RC rewards and getting my Marriott Promo's really going to have any net benefit at all or is it a wash either way?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

sethm,

Like you I am Platinum Elite with Marriott Rewards and also have a Ritz Carlton Card.  You should be able to log in to both Marriott Rewards and Ritz Rewards websites with the same log in.  The only difference I have been able to find between the two programs is the type of MegaBonus that you would receive.  If you find that you stay more frequently at Marriott properties over Ritz properties then I suggest you stay a Marriott Rewards members as the MegaBonus offers will likely benefit you more.

sethm Platinum

Vaboywnder,

Thanks for your reply. I was told by the Ritz rep yesterday that I will no longer be able to access the Marriott website. If I affiliate with Ritz when I log onto this site I will automatically be redirected to Ritz Rewards website. Is that correct? Would like to hear form someone that has tried.

Second, the rep also told me that I am eligible for all Marriott promos I would just need to call the Ritz desk and they will sign me up. I guess it will be difficult if I can't get onto this website to see the active promotions. Marriott never send me info on promos anyway for some crazy reason.

thanks

sethm Platinum

I just tried to log onto the Ritz site and was automatically redirected back to Marriott.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

sethm,

You are right on the redirect..but you are able to log into your account from either website. I think the Ritz Rewards Rep you spoke with may have either given you incorrect information or is one who is willing to bend the rules in regards to allowing participation in MegaBonus promotions intended for Marriott Rewards Members only.  You may want to call back and speak to a different Ritz rep and see if you get the same answer. 

Below are a couple of links to separate travel bloggers who have written about the difference between the two programs.  Both indicate the main difference is the promotions.

http://www.welltraveledmile.com/should-you-be-a-marriott-rewards-or-ritz-carlton-member-whats-the-difference/

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2013/07/11/you-have-to-pick-just-one-should-you-be-a-marriott-rewards-or-ritz-carlton-member/

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hey sethm! You should still be able to access Marriott.com and book reservations, however if you try to sign into your account via MarriottRewards.com it will redirect you to RitzCarltonRewards.com. Let us know if you have any questions around that.

Also, you will still have access to this forum, so no worries there!

sethm Platinum

Lindseyh

Thank you for the information you provided. Do you have any info regarding the access to promotions? Is it true that Ritz rewards members get access to both while Marriott only gets access to Marriott?

Thank you for the info.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

i dont think thats correct, its either one of the other. I think RC promos tend to reach a higher bonus points cap but do take into account that RC in general could be hundreds of dollars more than Marriott properties and only RC stays count towards the promos. Marriott in the other hand you could stay at any of the brands (not sure about RC) and it will count towards the bonus stays.

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi  sethm,

There have been Ritz-specific promotions in the past, but not Marriott-specific.  The possibility for Marriott-specific promotions exists, but it has not happened yet.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...