7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2016 1:28 PM by phctourist RSS

Honeymoon Success - Best Marriott Service (Budapest & Prague)

droma Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

A quick recap in the likely chance that folks missed some previous discussion on this intertwined in other threads.  I recently got married at the end of July and was slated to take my Honeymoon to Paris (10 nights at Marriott C-E) and Nice (5 nights at Boscolo).  With all of the madness occurring in France recently, we rebooked our trip on a whim and took off for Budapest (7 nights at Marriott) and Prague (6 nights at Marriott).  The cities could not have been more incredible with history, art, culture, ruin pubs, speakeasies, beer gardens, delicious food, etc...but I want to keep this post mainly about the unbelievable service I received at the two Marriotts.

Full disclosure, I emailed both Marriotts ahead of time (about a week in advance), let them know of the occasion and how excited I was to stay in their hotel and visit the city.  I stated that I didn't expect anything extra but any available upgrade or small amenities they could provide to make the trip special would be greatly appreciated.  Both emailed back and said they were excited to have me and they would try to accommodate the upgrade request and do anything else they could.

At this point, I thought it was very nice they emailed back, and was expecting the standard Lounge level upgrade or something along those lines, which would have been completely fine as we would be spending the great majority of our time out and exploring anyway.

Upon arrival in Budapest at 1 AM in the morning we were greeted with the normal check in process.  I asked if there were any available upgrades and this is when the magical Marriott trip began.  "Well Mr. D...we see it is your honeymoon and would first of all like to congratulate you both.  We have already processed an upgrade for you and have provided you with a corner suite with a balcony overlooking the Danube and Castle."  We were ecstatic!  The room was amazing, it was incredible to be able to walk out and have a coffee on the balcony every morning, and yes...this concierge lounge with balcony and full bar every night was the best I have ever been in.  The staff treated the service more like an actual table service than just clean up as well.  The wonderful manager also sent us over free champagne at the hotel bar downstairs and provided us a wealth of recommendations.  Here is a view from the balcony of the room:

We sadly concluded our Budapest leg and took a long train to Prague early in the morning so we would not lose a day.  Knowing that there was no way this hotel experience could beat our last we went to check in and began our second half of the trip.  Same thing at check in, I asked if there was the possibility of an upgrade.  "Mr. D, first off congratulations on your honeymoon, we have something we think you'll be very happy with.  Would you mind waiting while I call my manager, she would like to come out and greet you personally."  My wife now began asking me what type of Marriott celebrity I am.  The manager comes out and says its her great pleasure to welcome us for our honeymoon, please let them know if there is anything at all that they can do, and that they have provided us a Bi-Level suite for the week.  This room was perhaps the nicest Marriott room I've been in, full living room and a half bath downstairs, steps leading up to a study, then full bath and bedroom with skylights in each room.  Unbelievable.  We dropped our stuff in the room and went to the CL (not as nice as Budapest, but still very nice) for a coffee to get us going for the day and came back to this:

Beer, champagne, cookies, strawberries, and delicious traditional Czech cake!

I think this post falls into many categories us MRIers cover.  Suite upgrades do happen and can be great (even when its not a honeymoon).  There are amazing Concierge Lounges in the world.  Many hotels really do strive to make you feel like the most important customer in the world.  And there will most definitely be a couple spirit to serve nominations to follow when I dig out some business cards.

Thanks to Marriott for making the honeymoon and even more incredible experience, and I can't wait for the next adventure!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Budapest, Hungary Marriott Hotels & Resorts Budapest Marriott Hotel
Prague, Czech Republic Marriott Hotels & Resorts Prague Marriott Hotel
  • Re: Honeymoon Success - Best Marriott Service (Budapest & Prague)
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Such a great read, droma!  So excited your "Plan B" honeymoon went so smoothly and that you had such a great guest experience!! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nationwide Platinum

droma Congratulations on your recent nuptials!  Thanks for sharing the incredible hotel experiences from your honeymoon!  Best wishes to you both!

peymanagement Platinum

Great post, thanks for sharing.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Forget Paris, what a truly wonderful story!  I am so happy for you.   Congratulations again and a hearty thank you for taking the time to share your exceptional experience with us.  Fantastic!

monisame Platinum

What a trip !!! Fantastic experience...Thanks for sharing and to take the time to do it !!! Very happy to know everything works as you  expected.. Congrats for you both 

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

What a wonderful way to start a lifelong trek together and well done Marriott.  Congrats and thank for taking the time to share the start of your journey.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

What as great story!  Congrats on your marriage and I wish you many years of wedded bliss.  I recently celebrated my 50th anniversary and am trying to put together a celebratory trip for this fall.

Almost ten years ago we stayed at the Chain Bridge Marriott, in Budapest and had a wonderful time.  We combined it with Prague and Vienna and enjoyed both of those cities, also.