42 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2016 6:13 PM by missgee RSS

Insider Screen Names

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

A few years ago this question was put out to the community and it's time again to ask........what drove us to select our Marriott Rewards Insider screen names?  With quite a few new members starting to chime in and not lurk like nationwide did for years I think we should bring it up again to help some of ole geezers learn more of you.

So tell us, why did you select your MRI user name?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Insider Screen Names
    captbigguy Platinum 4 Reviews

Are you sure you want to hear this?  It may take a while...

Well, back before my internet days, I was in a band.  At that time, I was well over 300 lbs of singing, axe grinding, southern rock hillbilly.  When someone in the audience would talk about us to our wives, I was always referred to as "The Big Guy..."  That prompted the drummer's wife to start calling me "Big Guy" all the time.

Sooooo...  Along came Yahoo chat and all of that other stuff.  I figured for a screen name, I should go with something "action heroic" and rather descriptive of me.  So, I settled on Captain Big Guy, which didn't fit the criteria, so scrunched it into Captbigguy.  I've used it or ArkieFlyGuy (in reverence to my Arkansas roots and fly fishing passion) for screen names ever since.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I'll jump in again. I answered this once before, but I don't feel like searching for the old topic. Mine dates back the when I set up an early email account, circa 1994. After 20 years, it's become a habit.

First initial, middle initial, last name - B. E. Jacob. What it lacks in creativity, it makes up in simplicity.

Extra credit - my parents chose my first and middle initials to match my grandfather's. His name was Bruno Ernst Jacob. Look him up on Wikipedia, if you like. You might discover something that sounds familiar (hint: county collecting).

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I think the post asking this question was fairly recent or at least someone resurrected it . Mine is fairly simple 

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

BrightlyBob was simply random...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

NO reason at all

brightlybob make sure you bring 30 some pair of sunglasses with you to the TIPPLE as I think some might need it to reduce the glare from your outstanding assortment of shirts!!!

nationwide Platinum

brightlybob - I really like Chief Wiggum and his car!!!  That's awesome!  Where were you?

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

clebert was a Persian cat we had years ago who is long gone but not forgotten.  Dumber than a rock but very sweet-natured.  Rescued from the humane society - prior owner surrendered cat as nursing home didn't allow pets.  Kind of a peach color with blue eyes.  Small boned but exceedingly fat, and very lazy

Yes I resurrected it jerryl because I could not find the other thread and I think it brings out a bit of history on folks.

My screen name is pretty boring.  Since I worked at IAH Airport for some 29 years, just about every airline flight I took during that time departed/arrived at IAH and I have a pilot license it all seemed to fit for me. 

Well as one gets older the memory seems to go first so wanted to make sure it wasnt too long ago. Look forward to breaking some bread and tipping a few in a month

Ditto!!

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

my initials are phc.  Being a tourist is one of my great pleasures, in life.  Hence phctourist!

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

May have said this in previous posting about the topic, but I always get frustrated having to come up with usernames and passwords.  So I just picked a "randomname."

YogiB Platinum

I often like to post online behind (somewhat) anonymous names. Not that I don't want to stand behind what I say, but due to some bad experiences in the past with a juvenile colleague that was jealous of me and must have spend an eternity tracking my virtual footsteps trying to dig up stuff that potentially could make me look bad in front of the employer.... which luckily backfired on him.

After moving from some western European country to Québec City, where they couldn't pronounce my real first name, at the first day at my first job (after three attempts to pronounce my name), I was from that day on to be called Yogi.

The B is simply the first letter of my family name.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

YogiB,

I honestly thought your screen name was created after Yogi Bear, the animated character created by the American animation studio, Hanna-Barbera.  Yogi Bear was the iconic, rhyming fictional character who lived in "Jellystone Park" with his side kick Boo-Boo Bear.  Yogi Bear coined such memorable terms in American pop culture as "pic-a-nic basket" for picnic basket and "I'm smarter than the av-er-age bear!"

I like the name.  It's neat that it's your real name, - or real nick name, as it were.

My thoughts on the screen name is much the same as yourself YogiB.  Where is Boo Boo?  Nicely done pluto77!!

insertcoffee Platinum

And here I thought it was a reference to Yogi Bear, Yogi Berra, yoga luminary, or yoghurt lover.

E.  None of the above

YogiB Platinum

I do like picnic baskets though!

Which brings me back to IAHFLYR's question: BooBoo has a lot smaller appetite than me, so he stayed home.

However, my better half makes sure that I stay in line, so I might consider her my park ranger!

So, as you see pluto77, I just play along with any interpretation of my nickname.

mustanggt Platinum

The first car I ever owned was '66 Mustang.  That car is long gone, but for years I always wanted to get another one to relive my childhood.  So I did, a '66 Mustang GT.  Everyone needs some sort of toy!  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

My parents had a '66 Mustang convertible and it was a great little car, just not a GT.

nationwide Platinum

Ok IAHFLYR, I love that you resurrected this topic, and cannot wait to hear from all our new Insiders as to why they chose their  screen names.  As mentioned in the older post, I picked my name early on (2009) and without a lot of thought, simply because I frequently travel the United States on business.  Again, for the record, my name has nothing to do with the insurance business, but I am definitely on your side as a fellow Insider

Additionally, I finally found your older post, and am copying that link below for comedic reference:

What's Behind Your Insider User Name?

Let's hear from everyone else, what's the story behind your screen name?

You must have done a huge amount of digging to find that old thread....yes, "Nationwide is on your side"!!

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

Well no great story behind my screen name....

NE = I am from New England - born and raised.  Very passionate about our New England sports teams too!!!!

Traveling = I travel frequently for both work and pleasure

Man = if you can't guess this one.....

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

All this time I thought ne meant Nebraska and that you were one of those Husker fans

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

LOL; nope but I do like corn!!!

AZDesertRat Platinum

Had to dream up a name, as this has been my first participation in this kind of site.  Since this is (generally) about travel, I thought a geographical identity made sense.  Originally from Arizona, and living here for the last 30 years, I chose AZ.  I added "desert rat," which denizens of this state are often called, but as a lawyer couldn't use the images I dug up, e.g.ords-kangaroo-rat_GRCA.jpg  4206_render_souris2_de_ratatouille.pngHad to go with a more intimidating (but lovingly colorful) image, our beloved Arizona gila monster.

nmballoonist Platinum

I originally posted this on the other thread back in Jan 2016.  Nothing real original.  I live in New Mexico and am a balloon owner and pilot, on the Balloon Fiesta Board of Directors, hence NM Balloonist and my profile picture.  Additional pictures with my original post.  I also will shamelessly plug the event every chance I get.

nmballoonist Platinum

Incoming balloons headed toward on field target

Incoming Wave.JPG

Launching from field

IMG_6963.jpg

In flight

IMG_6109.jpg

And for all you Star Wars fans

Darthjpeg.jpg

Told you I shamelessly plug the event!!

insertcoffee Platinum

There is nothing quite like the sound of many balloons being inflated simultaneously.

Have had the chance to hear that many summers in my green age, and see them take off and land, and, possibly, when parents were out of town, went up in them as well.

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

I received my official invite when the Insiders was first created, and joined not long after that.  Unfortunately, my chosen screen name was already in use by another:  Miss G.  I tried various other versions and kept getting that-username-is-already-taken messages so, in frustration, I got grumpy and entered missgee.  Unfortunately, it took.  lol

My first name begins with a G.  My mother has called me Miss G all my life.  It may-or-may-not have had something to do with my being a "Little Miss".  I plead the 5th.

I plead where in the heck have you been for the last year or so missgee, you've been sorely missed and are needed at the TIPPLE in Houston next month?

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

AWWW!  What a lovely thing to say, IAHFLYR!  Thank you.

I was actually supposed to be in Houston two weeks ago but logistics made me give up.  Way too hard to be in three places at once.  I will take a rain check, though!

insertcoffee Platinum

Not a particularly interesting story here, I'm afraid.

I typically work very long hours. And computers prompt you to 'insert disc'. I prompt to insert coffee instead. Though my staff would tell you it should have been their nickname for me instead. I do use that one elsewhere.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Even though I currently live in south Louisiana (way too close to LSWHO), I have been a Razorback Fan since I was old enough to "Call Those Hogs".  I'm a proud graduate of the University of Arkansas and very loyal to my Alma Mater.; therefore, I chose razorbackfan as my screen name.

WOO PIG SOOIE!

20151121_145639.jpg

insertcoffee Platinum

Move over, baseball. It's time for some football.

Great home schedule this year

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Definitely a great home schedule!  Sure hope I get to attend a few of the games.

corrie1013 Platinum

.Mine is my name...though not spelled the same as it is on my birth certificate...

most passwords require 6 letters, so when I began this whole internet thing (WAY back in 1998!) I decided that if I were to use my name, it would be spelled like this.

bacon14 Platinum

I really hate trying to come up with user names and passwords.  However I really do love bacon and well there you have it

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

My user name came about after my first pass at a name was rejected. My initials make up the tef. The 6178 has been a number that has followed me because way way back when I got my first car a neighbor 'adult' friend of mine who worked at the registry asked me if I wanted a special vanity plate in Massachusetts. I said I didn't but it would be nice to get a low number plate of any kind as they were so hard to get. Any plate with 5 digits or less in Massachusetts (no letters) had been passed on by family for generations. He somehow got me the plate 6178. Everyone who saw that plate asked me how I was able to get a plate with only 4 numbers. It became a bigger deal than I ever thought it would be. So when my first screen name was rejected I just stuck in the initials with the plate. Unfortunately, when I retired and moved to Florida I had to give it up!

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

mine is simply my initials and my birth year. usually use it for other forums and websites as a log in.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...