8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2016 1:04 PM by mustanggt RSS

Old guy new trick - Signing in with the App

peymanagement Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Ok, so I thought that using the sign in app would be something insurmountable for me so I ignored it. However I have a nine year old granddaughter who taught me how to (she did it) put it on my phone. So on Saturday I used it to check in at the YYZ Marriott, An excellent experience, I did not lose the front desk experience Tommo781, as you worried on an earlier post, but got a few extras, and I did not have to wait for my voucher package, it was all in a nice package waiting for me along with an extra two gifts, a Suisse chocolate bar, and a voucher for anything at Starbucks. Today I stay at a Town, well I did not have high expectations but by checking in on the App, I got to get my room early where the other plats had to wait "between 30 and 60 mins" for room to be made up, mortals had to wait til normal check in time of 4pm.

I actually do not see a down side of using this, as the worst thing that can happen is I start all over again with the reception worker.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Old guy new trick - Signing in with the App
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

A great point you make peymanagement.  Almost every time we experience the same thing when I've used the app for check-in, well except that night a week or so back when it did not go quite as smooth.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iaskquestions Member

Man.. I wish low status guys like me could enjoy all this, we travel only in summer time, so it's pretty much impossible for people like me to get a high status on a airline or hotel chain, I only got silver status and possibly gold on Hilton because of a credit card.. Well, guess I'm a mortal..

P. S. I guess silvers and golds are not treated as high up in Hilton than Marriott..

peymanagement Platinum

Sorry, I was not trying to belittle with my mention of "mortals" I was and still am Hilton member (gold many years but diamond this year), Hilton gold is about the same (but a bit better as you get free b fast at some HGI) as Marriott silver. Marriott gold and plat are virtually the same.

Platinum

Hilton Diamond does give you quite a bit the same type of treatment as Marriott Plat, but I have to say the HH app is a little nicer and does have digital key at many properties. Expect Marriott/SPG to follow -hopefully soon

nationwide Platinum

iaskquestions you can still use the Marriott app, right?  I would encourage you to download it and use it whenever you are staying at a Marriott.  And, of course, I love the Marriott Premier Rewards VISA card.  That will accelerate a pursuit of status for sure! 

bigmrm Platinum

There have been huge downsides the couple of times I tried it. In short, I was given very poor rooms and actually had to wait LONGER at the front desk since nobody was at the mobile check-in area and then they had to locate the pre-packaged materials. And in one case I had to wait still longer since as they went through the "do you want your points or voucher" talk I chose the voucher. Apparently they had a lot of computer work to do in order to undo the points which they assumed I would take.

2 strikes was it -- I promised myself I'd never use remote check-in again. Now, I admit, it was very early in the game and I see many of you now have positive experiences with this, so I might actually try it again. I'm not optimistic, but I'm willing to give it another chance and hope I am pleasantly surprised.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Like you, bigmrm, my first couple of goes with the the app were terrible fails, the first one took longer than if I'd waited in the regular queue, the second placed me and my elderly mother on separate floors, only a good idea if you're travelling with your ex! Those experiences were in 2014 but earlier this year I wanted to checkin to a hotel at 10am and so decided to give the app another go. Half an hour later I received a message that my room would be ready at 10am... And so it was. Checkin was fast, courteous and accurate. Nowadays I mostly use the app, and it all works well...

mustanggt Platinum

As I mentioned in another post, I'm a fan of the mobile app.  Is it perfect, of course not.  Will it get better over time, of course it will.  I also found, just like peymanagement, that checking in with the app does not eliminate the personal touch at the front desk.  In fact, I think it enhances it.  Since all the hard work is done before you even arrive, when you do go to the desk you can actually have a nice conversation with the front desk personnel since they are not under pressure trying to code up room keys, look for vouchers, figure out what room you are assigned to, etc.  All I can say about the app is, try it, you might like it!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...