6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2016 12:31 PM by j&c RSS

Washington DC - Metro Center or Downtown Renaissance?

bayareawolf Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I am traveling to DC for work, have a conference near Woodly Park-Zoo Metro Center so I need Metro access to get to my business location.  My wife and sister will be joining me and sight seeing during the day.  I am looking at the Metro Center Marriott or the Renaissance Downtown.  The Metro Center is practically adjacent to a very good Metro stop to allow access to everything, but seems a little more generic and dated.  The Renaissance looks updated/modern, has a better gym, nice concierge lounge, better opportunity for upgrades, etc.  The Renaissance  just doesn't seem as well connected on the Metro or further walking distance from the Museums etc.  They both seem to be near restaurants and some nightlife.  Help!  Is there a clear winner here?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Washignton, District Of Columbia, USA
Arlington, Virginia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Key Bridge Marriott
  • Re: Washington DC - Metro Center or Downtown Renaissance?
    insertcoffee Platinum

I'm a bit confused by your itinerary.  Woodley Park is not near Metro Center. It *is* near a red line metro stop, but it is not Metro Center.  'Near'  here is  relative term. It is a couple of miles away, and yes, I can walk it, but I wouldn't want to for work. Woodley PArk  red line*goes* to Metro Center, so maybe that is what you meant?

I'm not sure if you have ever been to DC or not. Most everything in DC proper is within a very small radius and highly accessible via cab, on foot, the tube, bus, etc.

People will be better able to help if we know how long is your stay, and what month.

Museums are all over. The Phillips is in DuPont, basically between Woodley and Metro Center, and is worth the time to go there. If you meant NGA, Smithsonian, Hirschhorn, Sackler, etc., those are relatively clustered together downtown, and one day is not enough for the NGA, let alone anything else. It's like trying to do the Hermitage in four hours.

So, if you can come back to the discussion and add a bit more and clarify a bit, lots of folks would be happy to help.

This is the address of the Woodley Park FS Marriott,for your reference.  It is known as the Wardman Park. I wouldn't stay there unless that was the location of your meetings, only because there are so many Marriotts closer to a more vibrant stay, closer to the bulk of the museums, better/more restaurants, etc.

Address: 2660 Woodley Rd NW, Washington, DC 20008

Phone: (202) 328-2000

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bayareawolf Gold

Sure.

I was planning on taking Metro to my meetings near Woodley Park on the Red line, agree we don't want to stay up there.   My wife and sister want to stay closer to Smithsonian, etc.   That is why I am wanting to stay both near a station and also a place where my family can have easy access to Mall/Smithsonian.   We will be there in two weeks.  I have reservations currently at both properties for 7 nights.

Having a nice gym and concierge lounge is important to the two of them.  Vibrancy is good.  If I remember right, there is some decent night life near Gallery Place/China Town. I think they will have better amenities at the Renaissance, I will just be stuck walking to nearest Red line station .

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

nmballoonist Platinum

ssindcgave a lot of great threads.  Both of your suggestions are fine and have a lot going for them.  However my new go to choice if I can get a good rate is the JW Marriott on Pennsylvania near the White House.  Two block from the Metro and had great views of the Mall.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Actually, The Wardman Park Marriott would work better for your meeting.  You should check the Metro website for track work that week and find out if there are problems getting between your meeting and downtown.  We have many Metro shutdowns planned this summer.  This is NOT the summer to depend on Metro!  

Wardman Park is an excellent FS Marriott and you should be quite convenient to your meeting.  . 

j&c Platinum

No question - we stay at Key Bridge Marriott. Fast walk to Metro, Georgetown, Theodore Roosevelt Island, Roslyn and way more. C

Location Brand Hotel
    Arlington, Virginia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Key Bridge Marriott

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...