44 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2016 4:27 AM by kharada46 RSS

Kaua'i Marriott Resort

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Just reaching out to everyone in hopes of getting some info regarding the Kaua'i Marriott Resort. I am hoping to swing a trip to the islands next summer for my anniversary. I am planning to hit Kauai and take advantage of booking with points to get that 5th night free. I have read lots of conflicting reviews. Some say it's great, others say it's a tired property in need of renovation and updates, other say watch out for parking issues and overcharges. I just want to use my points for a great trip, and the last thing I want is to show up to an old, tired, beat up property. While most of the time will be spent in the ocean/pool/off doing excursions, it would be nice to enjoy the room/lanai. Any info is greatly appreciated!

I know some of you have been to the islands and I am also open to info about Big Island as well, as I am hoping to go there for 2 nights as well.

kharada46, vaboywnder, pluto77, IAHFLYR, brightlybob

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Lihue - Kauai, Hawaii, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Kaua'i Marriott Resort
  • Re: Kaua'i Marriott Resort
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I last visited Kauai in 2004, but will be going again in March 2017. Kauai is my favorite of all the Hawaiian islands, though my trip last year to the Big Island was hard to beat.

I can't give you a lot of updated info on Kauai (yet) but 2 nights on the Big Island is nowhere near enough time. I'd stay those extra two nights on Kauai and save the Big Island for when you can visit for at least 5 days (even that isn't nearly enough to see it all - why do you think they call it the BIG island?). My suggestion for the minimum number of days on the major islands is this

Oahu - 2 days (you can even spend one exploring away from city)

Maui - 3 days (though 4 or 5 would be better especially if you want see more than west Maui)

Kauai - 4 days (you can cover most of the island in this time)

Big Island - 5 day (you'll have to be selective even with this much time)

If you do want more info about the Big Island, I'd be happy to share. You may recall my blog post (County Collecting Hawaiian Style - Part 2, The Big Island).

I'm sure others have recent details on Kauai. I'll share my updates early next year.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Sorry, cannot be of much help as haven't been to Kauai' since 2003 nor Hawaii since I think 2011, even though we've talked about it in recent days.

seachi Platinum

It's been 4 years or so since I stayed and I was a bit underwhelmed. The location is not ideal, there's not much in walking distance (a not-so-nice strip mall), and the pool was not heated (if you wanted to get to the hot tub, you had to swim through the cold pool), and the beach didn't have much to offer.

I'd actually suggest the Grand Hyatt Kauai. It's my favorite hotel in all of Hawaii.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Sorry, ks77, I'm not an Island authority in the least, however I know you'll get some good stuff tossed your way.

seachi Platinum

Why not check out the new Autograph Collection in Poipu?

In case anyone is wondering what this is about, there will be a new Autograph property (rebranded) which opens in December. I'm waiting to see what more I can find out, but it is on my radar. Here's a link Luxurious Kauai Beach Villas at Koloa Landing Resort.

Not much info is available yet and it's not possible to make reservations yet. It looks to be right next door to the MVC Waiohai, but not quite on the beach. I love that part of the island, so may end up there (if I can book on points). Given that it's undergoing a thorough renovation, it might be exactly what you are looking for ks77. If I don't end up staying here in March, I'll at least give it a look and report back.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Thanks!

When booking with points, what currently pops up is the Kauai Marriott, the Courtyard, and the Koloa you mentioned. I do want direct beach access so the Koloa is most likely out. I am curious if the Kauai Marriott Resort is any good though. The site makes it look great, but reviews are overall good, but some troubling adjectives are present in some of the not so great reviews.

You and I are in a similar situation. I'm watching other properties (MVC locations) to see if points redemptions become available. Currently Koloa Landing is not showing available in March, so I keep waiting. As for the current state of the Kauai Marriott, I don't really know. If it comes down to there or the CY, I'll give it a shot. Still hoping for a points redemptions elsewhere first. Time will tell.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I love booking way in advance, but in this case we are flexible on dates and locations so no rush for me to book now. I like to book 4-6 months out so I definitely have time. I will keep watching the properties as well and if anything changes I'll be sure to let you know.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Got my fingers crossed for you bejacob.  Some of the MVCs on Kauai do look really great, definitely better than the hotels.  Let me know when you finalize your plans!

Well, I did it. Koloa Landing is now booked for 5 nights on points in early March. If MVC Waiohai becomes available for the same dates, I may book that instead and cancel Koloa Landing. If not, I'll get to try another new Hawaiian Autograph property (my visit to the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel happened a few months after it became an Autograph property). Even if I'm not the first Insider that gets to visit this new member of the Marriott family, I'll make sure to report back.

So the first booking for the big 5-0 Hawaiian trip has now been made. I've got a pretty good idea of which flights I want, but there is no urgency. Still plenty of time.

Not far behind you in that booking.

So bejacob... Honolulu??

Yes, before Kauai. Haven't booked yet, but plan on 5 nights on points.

Awesome

Well, I managed to snag 5 nights on points at Ko Olina. I had to juggle my dates, so I'll be going to Kauai first (still at Koloa Landing for 5 nights on points) and then to Oahu.

Now I need to do is reach my MVP Gold status on AS so I can book my flights (gotta have the MVP Gold upgrade)

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Nice! That sounds like an awesome trip. Kind of jealous lol. I stayed at the JW and loved it. Too bad it's a Four Seasons now.

You mean this place, ks77?

_MG_7173.jpg

_MG_7168.jpg

_MG_7169.jpg

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Yup! I think my favorite part of the stay was dining on my lanai with my wife. The second best was the water hammocks. Those things are AMAZING.

Awesome!  Can't wait! 

Bits and pieces of my Kauai and Oahu trip in March are coming together.

Here's what's already booked

• 5 nights on points at Koloa Landing
                • 5 nights on points at Ko Olina
                • first class overnight flight from HNL to JFK on DL (lie flat seats *) and then home to CHM the following morning

* note the smiley face is wearing eye shades for sleeping on the plane, not sunglasses.

Still left to do

• fight from SAN to LIH on AS using MVP Gold to upgrade to FC (will reach MVP Gold next week and then I'll book)
                • flight(s) from CMH to SAN the night before the above flight (once I'm sure I've got the SAN-LIH flight)
                • hotel near SAN for overnight between the two flights above once they are certain
                • inter-island flight on HA between LIH and HNL (just need to decide on the time)
                • fly-in/fly-out day trip from HNL to Kalaupapa (on Molokai)
                • whatever other fun stuff I want to do (considering Helicopter trip along the Na Pali coast, whale watching, snorkeling, etc.)

Within a couple weeks, I hope to have all the flights to/from the mainland booked.

kharada46. Looks like things are beginning to fall into place, so I'll see you in early March.

Looks like you've got a great plan bejacob

Now it's just a matter of how and when all those great plans come together.

That has been some of my issues with getting back to the Islands and tracking down the youngster out there!   Seems that the getting there and the hotel stays on points more than not do not seem to match up well and for a trip like that I want it all to match perfectly.

Koloa is also on our RADAR so just don't take our redemption nights!!

AND WHOA.....kharada46 has surfaced.  You've got some splainin to you youngster!!! Good to see ya again.

lol I know IAHFLYR.  The official blog has been taking up more time than I anticipated.  That and life has been busy.  Lot's of curveballs this year, unfortunately, but all is well.  I'm trying to make it a point to be more active on insiders, though

You better or I'll send ks77 out to the Islands for a long visit!!!    I know you've got some great AV Geek stories to add so start typing dude.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

IAHFLYR, go ahead and send him!  I've been trying to convince him to come to Honolulu on his next Hawaiian adventure lol

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Many thanks for the shout-out ks77, alas I can't help as I've never been to Hawaii and have no existing plans to do so, despite owning many of their excellent shirts! I will no doubt one day get around to a Hawaii trip and as and when I do, I'll know who to tap up for info.

Fantastic ks77!  I hope you'll be making a stop in HNL... More like YOU BETTER

So I've only been to Kauai once... Twice if you count the day I spent there sitting in the Kauai Police Department's lunchroom (for work).  I too, however, have heard mixed things about that property.  The two properties that return the best reviews?  The Grand Hyatt Kauai and the St. Regis Princeville.  Both are expensive, and like the Marriott, the Grand Hyatt is a bit dated looking.  Unfortunately Marriott's Hawaii properties are among the most dated properties in the state.  BUT, the Wailea Beach Marriott's ongoing renovations are looking pretty good!!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Ah I had basically written off the Wailea Marriott as the reviews of many here made it sound like it wasn't that great. No upgrades, etc. I am hoping to see Big Island and Kauai on this trip but Maui is my favorite and my wife's as well so who knows!

Me too ks77, especially after my very negative experience with them.  But, I have seen renderings of the new pools, restaurants, etc. and they look fantastic!  What remains to be seen, though, are what the new guest rooms will look like.  Of course, that won't solve some of the issues we had, like the lack of elevators...

Anyway, if you do go Big Island, I highly recommend the Courtyard King Kamehameha Kona Beach Hotel.  I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there last year, save for the low shower head.  Luxurious it is no, though they do have a nice little beach and the rooms are comfortable.  If you luck out, you'll also get a spectacular view of Kona Bay and Town.  The location is a lot more convenient for exploring than Waikoloa too.

There's a new Hilton opening this year, too, in Hilo.  I believe they took over the Nani Loa Hotel, so finally there will be a decent option on that side of the island.  The Volcano House in Volcanoes National Park is someplace I've always wanted to stay too, but it's a little pricey. 

I still think you should come to Oahu, though... Just saying .  I will be in New York in early December  too.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

We should def set up a meeting when you are here in Dec. Let's keep that on the radar.

lol alright ks77

j&c Platinum

I'm very fond of Oahu after visiting during our high school Senior Class Trip - "8 days and 7 romantic nights" When J and I visited more recently, we snorkeled Hanauma Bay - a must do, take a bag of frozen peas to share with the fish who visit with you under water, enjoyed a Happy Hour catamaran cruise off Waikiki Beach, celebrated a Hukilau at the Polynesian Cultural Center, drove to the pineapple groves and walked everywhere else. Buy and apply suntan lotion and take aspirin if you do get burned (we did!) C

seattlebb Platinum

I was just at the Kauai MVC for a five night point redemption in June 2016.  I booked a garden view room on points, but was upgraded to an ocean view room.  The resort is in a great location and the pool is huge....the best of the Marriott pools in the islands...and we've been to all of them.  The pool is now heated to a comfortable temperature.  We self parked and didn't find the parking fees out of line.  We were there with our kids and grandkids so spent most of our time either in the pool or off the property at other beaches.  We had a great time, BUT there are some negatives.  The property is in need of renovation so is a bit tired looking.  For a points redemption, you will stay in the hotel portion, not the villas, so you will have a refrigerator but no microwave.  We were able to have a microwave delivered to our rooms.  All in all, we had an enjoyable stay.  The staff was friendly and helpful.  Our room was clean, just not renovated.  i asked if there was a renovation scheduled but wasn't given a date.  You might want to call the hotel directly and ask for that info.  We would do it again.  Getting that 5th night free is really nice and you're on a beautiful island in HAWAII!  Hope this helps.

bloomis68 Platinum

Been there 2x in last 5 years.  Everyone is correct.  Parking is an issue and it is dated.  That being said I'd go back in a heartbeat!! Couple advantages...

1. Right by airport - FREE airport shuttle!!  No time wasted driving to resort  (although drives are beautiful!)

2.  I Love the beach there.  Very nice!

3.  Golf is Awesome!

4.  I always take the free shuttle and only rent cars for the days I plan on driving to other areas.  You could actually walk to the rental car lots (about 1 mile).  This way you can get a car for the day but not pay for parking.

Just personal preference...hope this helps!!

notorious-5150 Platinum

I go to Kauai yearly and love that island.   Stayed at the three Marriott Vacation Club properties - Kauai Beach Club (Lihue), Lagoons (Also in Lihue) and Waiohai Beach Club (near Poipu).  By far my favorite property is Waiohai.   The Lihue Property is close to the airport.   The Lagoons, though next door to the Kauai Beach Club - doesn't have access to the beach and you will be driving a lot, since it is a bit remote.   The Waiohai property, has full kitchens, is right on the beach and walking distance/ short drive to great restaurants. Recently updated - the only real issue is availability and the fact they only come in two room villas.

Regardless where you stay – There is so much to see on this small island.   When taking guests – I usually take them on two to three excursions – depending on how long they are staying.   Here are the top four: 

• Waimea Canyon – Take a car and drive up to Waimea Canyon.   It is a miniature grand canyon and views are impressive.   There is a ton of hiking trails for all abilities if you are into that.   On the way to the Canyon we usually stop for Breakfast at Kalaheo Cafe & Coffee Company. 
    • The Napali Coast – is only accessible by hiking, boat or Helicopter.   We have done a few snorkeling trips over to that side and it is just amazing part of the island.
    • Hanalei Town – is on the North side of the island and is a great little town to visit. We usually head up for the day – stopping at the various towns and tourist sites (Lighthouse, waterfalls, etc),  then relax on the beach.  
    • Wailua River – is on the east side of the island is the only navigable river on the Hawaiian Islands.  You can Kayak, take a boat tour or take an intertube adventure.      

There are so many great restaurants – but here are some of my favorites.

• Kalaheo Cafe & Coffee Company (Kalaheo) – usually head here on the way to the Canyon.
    • Kauai Pasta (Lihue) – when staying in Lihue – usually eat here two or three times.
    • The Beach House (Koloa) – a bit over expensive but the view is amazing. Arrive between 4-5 and they have a light fare menu where you can order drinks and appetizers and get a great seat to watch the sunset without reservations (Dinner Starts at 5).   If you can’t make it that early – make reservations.
    • Tortilla Republic (Poipu) – great Mexican food.
    • Monicos Taqueria (Kapaa) – usually head here on the way to the airport.

Anyway – this list could go on and on – but these are some of the places I take people who are going to Kauai for the first time.    It is an amazing Island and one of my favorites.   Enjoy and don’t forget to take some time to relax…

caohnso50 Platinum

I last stayed at this property 2 years ago.  I would say it depends on your state of mind.  The rooms are a little tired and in need of remodeling.  So if you are high maintenance, you may not enjoy it so much.  But if you are more laid back like me, you will enjoy staying here.  The pool is fantastic, I've read that it is the largest one in all of Hawaii.  The beach is just okay.  It is in a calm bay, good for the kids, but not good if you enjoy waves and the beach life.  There are a few interesting shops and restaurants near by.  One of the biggest selling points is proximity to everything.  It is situated well if you are taking a day trip to the north shore, or a road trip to NaPali.  We found we spent a lot of time in the Poipu/Koloa area, less than a 30 minute drive away.  I would say it is a great option as long as you remain a little flexible in your expectations.  Have fun!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Thanks for the info!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Sounds like the plans are starting to fall into place. I have to say, the DL lie flat seats are awesome. Those are the ones I scooped up on the DL glitch of 2013. Nothing beats round trip First Class JFK-HNL for $119 per person.

Fantastic bejacob!  Sounds like it'll be a great trip.  Can't wait to see you guys! 

IAHFLYR, you've got more options now with a TON more properties (SPG)!  no excuses!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...