7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2010 9:47 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

nights for reward points

franke Gold 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

do nights booked from rewards points count as nights stayed.if not why don't they. it's not like they are free nights.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: nights for reward points
    zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Unfortunately they count "paid nights" rather than total number of nights you sleep in the room.  If you are using points, its a reward rather than a monetary exchange so they don't count.  While its true the points are not completely "free" to earn there are a number of ways to get points that do not involved any cash being spent at any Marriott property.  I believe its for this reason they treat them differently.  You can just as easily turn your points into a TV, cruise, camera, etc.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bobj1s Platinum

It is exactly that they ARE free nights.  Only one major chain counts award nights as nights stayed.  You will earn points on what you spend however.

rasd10 Platinum

From personal experience I can tell you that they do NOT count.  I am sure there is some formal reason why that someone from Marriott can tell you.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

They still award the arrival gifts for each status level when you stay on points, so pretty cool if you ask me.  If you are looking for an easy way to get more nights each year, get the Marriott Visa card, they give you a number of nights as bonus each year and a free night certificate :)

tjcnewyork Platinum

"do nights booked from rewards points count as nights stayed"

Rephrasing the question, "Are nights booked on rewards point eligible as Elite Qualifying Nights?"  Negative.  Only paid nights personally stayed are eligible for EQN.

drewtipton Gold

This is really interesting, reading all the responses to this...

I've seen, in the past, that they _sometimes_ count for EQNs.

I stayed at the Marriott Boston Long Wharf on Dec 25th (booked two reward rooms--one for my wife and me, and the other for my mother-in-law)...  got credit for both rooms as 2 EQNs on my Marriott Reward Status (was keeping track because it was the end of the year!)...  

I booked three rooms at the Marriott Anchorage in June, and they didn't count...  so...

tjcnewyork Platinum

"This is really interesting, reading all the responses to this...

I've seen, in the past, that they _sometimes_ count for EQNs.

I stayed at the Marriott Boston Long Wharf on Dec 25th (booked two reward rooms--one for my wife and me, and the other for my mother-in-law)...  got credit for both rooms as 2 EQNs on my Marriott Reward Status (was keeping track because it was the end of the year!)...  "

Secret Santa?

http://api.photoshop.com/home_d966d8ce99e947d495be9dd1efe0e0af/adobe-px-assets/5d34f5ee2a1949758e6628988f57b4b0

Above:  Santa taking off on Fire Engine in Rockport, MA Dec 6, 2009

Btw:  We were neighbors. On December 25th, my wife and I checked into Marriott's Custom House a block away!   We love going away for the holidays and our stay in Boston was memorable.  All 7 "deeded" nights qualified as EQN.

Below:  Marriott's Custom House as seen from Quincy Market

http://api.photoshop.com/home_d966d8ce99e947d495be9dd1efe0e0af/adobe-px-assets/7ad0394b18504dcdb66ce5120349a703

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...