10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2016 4:02 AM by insertcoffee RSS

Rewards Points Formula?

mrmrmr Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am trying to figure out how Marriott Rewards points are allocated at hotel stays as well as for rewarding event (I will post separately on that in the appropriate threads). My last two stays were at the the following two hotels:

* Toulouse airport, 4 nights, ~$450 bill, 4063 base points awarded

* Copenhagen, 3 nights, ~$2,800 bill (incl a conference room rental), 1272 base points awarded

Why so few points from the latter given the much higher total bill? How exactly are points computed? I would have thought some formula based on the bottom line spend, but clearly not the case here.

Thanks very much for any enlightenment!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Rewards Points Formula?
    iaskquestions Member

Hmm, maybe due to location or brand maybe.. Not sure.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

allleisure Platinum

Generally, base points are ten times the room rate, exclusive of taxes and fees.  Some brands include incidental purchases also.  The break-out by brand is in the Terms and Conditions on the Marriott site.  Scroll to the bottom of the page to find them. May take some looking around.  My guess is the conference room rental is a separate deal and not related to the guest room stay. Marriott Rewards has a program called Rewarding Events that earn points in a different manner.  I suggest using the search box at the top of the page and search for Rewarding Events.  BTW, the T&Cs are full of interesting information, like what kind of compensation you are entitled to when you have a confirmed reservation and arrive to find the hotel has no more rooms.  Well worth reading and taking notes.

peymanagement Platinum

Copenhagen, Denmark Marriott? If so you got shorted. Shorting points happens all of the time in Europe. I got shorted there.

and you should get credit for the conference room I would think.. can some EU folks chip in? brightlybob, Tommo781?

I checked some of the suggestions above - at this link:

https://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/earn/hotels.mi

The Toulouse hotel is a Courtyard for which it says "Earn 10 Marriott Rewards points ... per US Dollar spent on your room rate" - so the points for this are in the right ballpark.

For the Marriott-brand hotel in Copenhagen it says I would "Earn 10 Marriott Rewards points ... per US Dollar spent on all qualifying charges" - unfortunately I can't quite find the definition of "qualifying charges". I spent about $900 on the room alone, which if "qualifying charges" is just that, should result in 9000 base points (not 1272). And of course if the qualifying charges include the meeting room rental that would make it about 25000 base points.

Does anyone know where a good place would be to raise this issue with Marriott? The hotel directly?

Thanks again for the help.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Toulouse Courtyard points sound about right to me. Your $450 bill will include taxes (all EU prices include VAT, our version of sales tax) so $400 before taxes at 10 points per $ is 4,000 base points. If you have extracted the VAT from that figure then youre slightly short unless the figure includes incidentals (bar, restaurant, room-service) as no points are awarded for these at the Courtyard brand.

But Copenhagen Marriott sounds very much like a bad point shorting. At full service brands (Marriott, JW, Autograph and Renaissance) you should get 10 points per $ on room rate and incidentals (bar, restaurant, room-service) and 3 points per $ on your meeting room. Assuming you've extracted VAT and had some incidentals I would see your points being something like:

Roomrate: $900 = 9,000pts

Incidentals: $300 = 3,000pts

Meeting room: $1,600 = 4,800pts

So in this example base points would be 16,800 points to which 8,400 plat bonus would be added. Whatever your figures are you have however been very significantly shorted and should ring up the Marriott Plat line with a copy of your bill and they will sort it out.

BTW, I do very much like the Copenhagen Marriott, excellent Exec lounge, big rooms and good location, hope you enjoyed it!

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

sounds like you've been short changed big style I had this issue once and when it was resolved the said it was a mix up due to a currency issue they said I had submitted final bill on the app with use local currency one phone call to Marriott rewards and all was sorted

Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions.

I contacted Marriott Rewards Customer Service thru the website "Contact" link. Not very helpful: they only addressed part of the question (saying conference room bookings are not eligible charges) and they did not at all even acknowledge the part of the question where I pointed out that the points didn't accrue correctly for the nights stayed.

Contacting the hotel was not easy. As it turns out, I was unable to find an email on the website (I don't like to call for these things, I like an email trail). I did have an email for an agent who originally helped me with the conference room booking, who said conference room charges are eligible (seems reasonable) and she would take care of crediting my account (we'll see - I'll report). Someone else at the hotel also offered to take care of the discrepancy in the room points, again, we'll see.

The troubling thing is that this is not some automated thing that can't really go wrong? After all this, I went back thru my account and a whole lot of point accruals don't make too much sense! Since Copenhagen, for example, I stayed at a hotel in Denver where I turned down maid service in exchange for points (500/night at a Marriott branded hotel, per website). I got no credit for those.

I used to pay no attention to this stuff assuming that of course it would all be correct and automating - instead, as another poster commented, it definitely pays to check as it seems error are the rule, not the exception. (Maybe I am getting too close to that "Lifetime Platinum" level and Marriott is trying to slow me down .... I'll just go after Hilton's then ... lol).

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Sounds frustrating, mrmrmr,

If you could send me a direct message with your Rewards number and the reservation numbers for any particular stays that you wish to look into, we'd be happy to help.

Thank you

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Meetings definitely qualify, albeit at a lower earning rate and it's dreadful that Marriott customer services didn't know that. I've found hotels can correct things very quickly if the problem is their end, but often I hear nothing and only after much chasing a disinterested "uh, we checked, you need to talk to Marriott". AndrewT has offered to help, and I'd accept as he knows his stuff and can get resolution to these more tangled problems. Don't forget to hand him the Denver one too!

insertcoffee Platinum

Concur with others re: CPH property shorting on points. 

Unfortunately, it is not as 'automatic' as we would think it is. I've gone through this myself recently even though watching my account closely and in my case it was on the MR side and not on the hotel side. Property had submitted everything properly, and after multiple phone calls by me to MR the GM called MR for me to see if she could inspire them.

Airline miles posting is much simpler, sadly, than hotel points.

Keep at it and let us know your success.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...