29 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2016 8:43 PM by bejacob RSS

Why don't I get post-stay surveys?

10yearsplatinum Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I've been a Courtyard Club/Marriott Rewards member for about 19 years.  I've been Gold or Platinum (mostly Platinum) since 2004.  I'm Lifetime Gold and nearly Lifetime Platinum. My account shows 1,111 lifetime nights, and at least half of those are actual stay nights (not bonus).

Yet, I cannot recall ever receiving a post-stay survey so that I could review a property.  I see other members say they get surveys, and at least one member says he gets a survey about 25% of the time.

So, why don't I get them?  I've checked my email preferences in both MR and MRI profiles, but I don't see anything that seems to rule out surveys.

Is it because I communicate with Customer Service regarding problems so often?  Is it because I post to Twitter whenever there's a problem so annoying that I want to let the world know?  Have I, simply by trying to get property staff to fix problems while I'm still there to enjoy the fix, somehow excluded myself from the opportunity to review my stay?

Sometimes, I do have really nice things to say.  I don't always want to complain.  Honestly.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Why don't I get post-stay surveys?
    insertcoffee Platinum

According to a GM at a property where I have over 150 nights, the surveys are randomly generated by Marriott, the hotel/ownership has no control over who gets them and who does not, and even she can see little rhyme nor reason in who gets them and who does not (thus somewhat supporting the randomness theory).  I have had only two surveys generated from stays at this property-- a fact lamented by the GM, because she knows I always review them thoroughly, honestly, and well.

I have another property with multiple stays, likely 60-ish nights, and only one survey from that one. No surveys from any others, whether long or short stays.

Since hotel GMs now are so engaged with TA, if you have specific public comments for stays, you might want to comment there.

At least the Marriott survey is a worthy one, with free text space. So many other surveys I get, such as those from airlines, really don't allow me to comment on other things or provide depth of context, and I hardly see many of them as having value.

Sorry you are not getting surveyed--but you can always e-mail the GM your thoughts, whether positive or negative. A good GM will embrace both kinds of feedback.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

10yearsplatinum Gold

Thanks.  I have long used email to GMs, OpsMgrs, or the like to express both concerns over issues (e.g., failure to make room feather-free, despite reservation, notes, and pre-arrival call) and praise for excellence among staffers.  I've also recently taken to TA to post as well.  And, when a stay really, really merits it, I send a note to a pal who personally knows someone in Mr. Marriott's office.  (And that's led to an interesting story or two, I can tell you.)

But, it would still be nice to get the official Marriott survey once in a while.  Especially when they are supposedly sent randomly, one would think that an MR member with as many stays as I have might have, even just once, gotten the random survey.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Unlike you 10yearsplatinum, I have had some surveys, 3 I think over the last decade and over 400 real butt-in-bed nights. So they're certainly rare for me. I also stay with IHG quite a bit and would say I get surveys maybe 10% of the time there! Luck of the draw, I guess!

10yearsplatinum Gold

Well, if you've only had 3, brightlybob then I don't feel quite as bad.

But, as one Bob to another, it would be nice to get at least one!

--

Bob

insertcoffee Platinum

10yearsplatinum brightlybob I must be skewing the data. I've had three this year. And how  is it the stays you really really want a survey, for good or ill, are [almost] always the ones where  you don't get them?

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I got a survey yesterday for a stay last Friday night, cannot wait to see if it shows up on the Downtown Houston Hotels | JW Marriott Houston Downtown!

Platinum

10yearsplatinum  I'll gladly send you mine and you can respond in any way you see fit. I get post everything surveys on every trip from United, Marriott, and Avis or Hertz. My repeat business should tell them I like their brands and they can stop marketing me to death.

I will say that contacting the hotel property or Marriott with good or bad feedback yields a lot more results/thanks/whatever vs. these surveys that go to 3rd parties. At least IMHO (to use a throwback to the 90's or earlier term)

10yearsplatinum Gold

LOL dansplan.  Don't think it works that way.  ;-)

Besides, I'd just kind of like a chance at warning people of a bad property when contacting management and Marriott Customer Service fails, as was the case @ SH Baltimore BWI Airport who, due to a minor maintenance issue, unilaterally decided to move me to another room mid-stay and, in the process, through out about $30 worth of my toiletries. Management wouldn't return my calls, customer service referred it to Mr. Marriott's office, no follow up.

That was almost 2 years ago.

Wish I'd been using TA back then.

insertcoffee Platinum

That is a definitely a bad experience. And $30 cost at your home, is likely $50 in replacement value near airports, plus time/inconvenience factor. Bad GM not to follow through on such a simple CSR issue.

10yearsplatinum Gold

Bad GM?

I use the word "coward."   He wouldn't come out to speak to me or return calls/emails.

(He even ignored the emailed praise I sent for one of his staff early in the stay.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

The surveys don't come often. I think I've had 2 this year (our of about 30 stays). Seems like it was about the same ratio last year. When they do show up, I complete them right away. I don't know if anyone pays much attention to the reviews, but I use my Insiders user name. That way if anyone from Insiders does see it, they'll know who wrote it.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I've had one in the past 5 years.  And that wasn't published, which was surprising as it was full of praise.

insertcoffee Platinum

I don;'t find much value in the current hotel reviews on the properties' websites, not least because they are about one tweet's worth of verbiage, though I do on occasion find entertainment value in what various people complain about, whether status or non-status. Recent example: no washing machines in RI rooms lost some property a couple of stars-- but it is not a brand standard in the first place. Of course they're onsite, just not in the rooms.

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi 10yearsplatinum,

Surveys are auto-generated by a third party and sent to Rewards members based on a number of factors. However, please be assured that Customer Care always welcomes your feedback and would be happy to assist you by forwarding your comments to the appropriate team for review. Marriott's Customer Care team may be reached at the following email address at any time: customer.care@marriott.com.

Once they receive your information, they will research your situation and take appropriate action.

We're sorry for any inconvenience you experience in not receiving a survey after your stays.

10yearsplatinum Gold

Thank you for the official response, deannad.

To be clear, my concern isn't that I'm not getting a survey after every stay; it's that I'm not getting the survey after any stay.

Can you tell me the email address from which the surveys are sent?  I'd like to add that address (or domain name) to my safe sender list. (It occurs to me that the third-party sender might be blocked by my third-party anti-spam provider, meaning they wouldn't even hit my junk-mail folder unless I white-list them.)

Thanks.

insertcoffee Platinum

Thanks for confirming exactly what I was told by a GM at a regular stay property when I asked her about them.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Nevertheless, only those that are selected get their comments/ratings on the hotel website.  This seems wrong, and as a result of this policy, I never look at the hotel site for honest ratings.  I pay attention to Insider's comments, if there are any, and I look at Trip Advisor.  Not perfect, but it's the best I have found.

10yearsplatinum Gold

Whaddya know?!  I just got my very first Marriott post-stay survey! 

It was for a MVCI stay, so I'm not completely sure it's the same third-party survey system.  But still.

insertcoffee Platinum

I don't know if that is the same system either, but we have a pretty high percentage of surveys after MVC stays-- definitely 75% or above.

Glad you got one--even if not at a 'regular' Marriott property.

WOW, my survey was posted on the JW Houston Downtown site......that's good to know that I didn't waste my time.

I have no idea why, but I rarely get them anymore.  It's about a year and a half since my last one.

deannad I have said this many times, but I am quite disappointed in Marriott over this issue

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Apologies for the frustration. We've passed your comments along to the appropriate team for consideration. We appriciate the feedback.

AndrewT,

As I'm sure you have noticed the frustration I believe is related to three things, just my opinion:

• MRI no longer has Hotel Reviews and the reason for that has been debated numerous times
        • The marketing company that sends you a survey does not send them to every guest and some really want one
        • If you get the survey and spend the time to fill it out, often times it never makes the hotel page

There are probably more like learning more of the "random" selection process of who gets selected and who doesn't as well as which get selected to go on the hotel site and which don't.  The reasons may reduce frustration, yet again may escalate them!!

insertcoffee Platinum

I just got one in my inbox a day or two ago, my third-ish one this year at a non-MVC property.

That does not alleviate your pain, but maybe it is the randomness being exhibited.

In a truly random number generation, there will be repeats-- and numbers or number combinations that never, ever, come up. So you must be in the latter group.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

For the first time in eons, I got a survey about my recent stay at York Marriott.  As I had a brilliant stay, I have answered it with very high marks.  I will sit back and see if it is published now.

Put it this way, it was such a good response, I would publish it!!!!!

insertcoffee Platinum

I have no idea how they select which survey responses make it to the property page. None of mine from Property X have ever made it, even though on all of them I rated the hotel highly and spent over 20 minutes on a detailed response. I do know, however, they were consumed by both Marriott and the franchisee as the GM told me her ownership had made a comment about my survey to her, in a good way, along with some other information. But didn't make the one liner review section, I'm afraid.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Just got a survey for my recent stay at the Columbus Airport Marriott. Filled it out and within a day, my review was already on the Marriott site. I've stayed here several times and this one was by far the best experience and my rating reflects that.

I'd certainly like to be selected more often to review properties for good or for ill. The opportunity doesn't come along often, but when it does, I'll gladly participate.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...