22 Replies Latest reply: Aug 18, 2016 9:56 PM by nismoztuner RSS

Ritz Credit Card Overhaul

Jsucool76 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Heylo MRI,

It appears the Ritz Carlton Rewards Credit Card from JPM/Chase is getting reworked a bit.

It will now be a Visa Infinite card, with a $450 Annual Fee. Current cardholders will be grandfathered in at the old price price ($395), however, will still receive all the new benefits.

Rundown of benefits and rewards:

• 5x on marriott and ritz properties
  • 2x on travel and restaurants
  • p1x on everything else
  • 10% bonus
  • Global Entry/ TSA Precheck credit
    • Appears to be separate from the $300 credit now
  • $300 Annual Travel credit ( airline credit, for seat upgrades and blah blah, just like now)
  • $100 airline credit, when you book a qualifying itinerary for 2-5 travelers, as many times as you want a year.
    • Check http://visadiscountair.com/ritzcarltoncard (Already working, able to purchase tickets now)
    • Only 1 credit of $100 per itinerary, regardless of # of travelers. (Must be at least 2 travelers, no more than 5 on one itinerary)
  • $100 hotel credit (same as before)
  • Priority Pass
  • Gold elite status free for the first year, maintained with 10k spend
  • Plat status with 75k spend

JPM Has already started upgrading account holders. I was told my card was upgraded last week, however, new cards won't be shipped out until the expiration date. Waiting for an answer on whether all benefits apply, or what dates new ones start applying on. Was able to search for flights on the visadiscountair site already, so it looks like it's in the works.

If you were on the fence about this card, you're still able to apply with the $395 annual fee, however, the new $450 fee has an offer of three free nights at tier 1-4 for 5k spend.

THE RITZ CARLTON REWARDS® CREDIT CARD

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Ritz Credit Card Overhaul
    jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

Thanks for the info. I have a couple questions one may or may not know, any info will be appreciated.

Is the priority pass different than the Lounge Club membership? (if it is, will old card holders get this benefit as soon as the card is upgraded and will we lose the lounge club?)

Is the card any different esthetically (weight) than the old? can we get the upgraded version by ordering a replacement?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Jsucool76 Gold

Benefits should start immediately. You can call chase and ask if your card has been upgraded. I didn't receive a new card yet, but I know the $100 airline rebate is working. Will likely call tomorrow and ask about the other benefits.

LoungeClub is part of priority pass. loungeclub offers access to about 400-450 lounges i believe, priority pass offers access to over 900 lounges. You'll basically receive all of the lounges you used to get, plus a whole bunch more. Some have reported already receiving their priority pass cards. AUs should also still get them for free.

Card construction should remain the same, haven't heard any reports otherwise. I was told they'll be sent out when current cards expire, but will likely be waiting until next week to request a replacement and see what I get.

nismoztuner Platinum

The design is no longer the same! (NOT A FAN)

My friend lost his wallet 3 days ago and today he received the replacement, now infinite. If you guys notice the ritz lion logo is now smaller, also the lettering is not the same than our old cards- hopefully i get to keep my current card till it expires in 8/19 

nismoztuner Platinum

old design:

https://www.creditcardinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/ritz_carlton_card1.png

nismoztuner Platinum

New design (not a fan)

http://i.imgur.com/nvIHsTU.png

Jsucool76 Gold

I'll also add in that it appears that the Club Level Upgrade certificates are going away.

Jsucool76 Gold

Updating

Confirmed with chase that club level upgrades will still be a benefit.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

The certificates were probably the most valuable benefit for people who stayed at Ritz, its a shame they might take them away. Perhaps they saw many were going unused and decided to add other benefits instead.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Even though I'm a Whiney Brit and hence can't get the excellent Ritz CC (I would otherwise in a flash!) I commend you for your sterling and knowledgeable thread Jsucool76. Not for nothing are you our resident (credit) card-sharp

702rugbyref Platinum

I am ALL over this. I just read the article on The Points Guy as well.

The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Card Gets Major New Perks

I don't see any 'points bonus' for the sign-up. Am I missing this?

Jsucool76 Gold

The sign up is 3 free nights in a tier 1-4 (in certificate form) as well as 10k points for adding an authorized user and having them make a purchase.

Reports are that the club level upgrade certs are sticking around but they aren't actually listed on the new product page. Sent a tweet out to chase asking.

Also, way to be 4 days late TPG. Couldn't mention it until he could get his affiliate link up and running. That's why I don't read him all that often anymore. Haha.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

Thanks for the update, seems like the card will be much better now. By the way, are there any additional benefits that a Visa Infinite has compared to a Visa Signature?

Jsucool76 Gold

This is the answer I got from Visa when I asked how to find out about infinite benefits for US issued cards...

"we currently don’t provide Infinite benefits in the U.S. Our highest benefits program in the U.S. is Signature."

Platinum

Jsucool76 Well, as chase marriott etc cardholders in the US, we mostly are way ahead of the game, so it's only fair that ROW (Rest of World) gets a break now and then, don't you agree?

Jsucool76 Gold

Haha. Yes sir. But. I want it all!

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Thanks for posting info on this.  I'm happy to hear that current cardholders will be grandfathered in with the $395 annual fee and be able to take advantage of the new benefits. Hopefully Chase will not change their mind in another year or two.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I spoke with a JP Morgan rep today to inquire about the credit card changes.  He indicated that JP Morgan has not yet decided whether current cardholders would be grandfathered in when it comes to renewal time for the Ritz Card.  He did indicate that the upgrade certificates would continued to be offered.

Jsucool76 Gold

Eh, I got it in writing that we would be. I'll hold onto that if they happen to charge us $450.

Platinum

I'd be ok with 450 as long as travel credit went up

Jsucool76 Gold

It wont, but we are getting global entry, and the $100 airline discount for 2-5 tickets.

Platinum

I already had MR pay for my global entry, so I'm good for 5 years I believe

YogiB Platinum

Take NEXUS in stead of Global Entry, a lot cheaper and works in Canada too!

Plus NEXUS includes all benefits of Global Entry (including TSA pre-check, if ever your file works).

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...