17 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2016 3:02 AM by californian RSS

RIP MRI?

Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

When the CM's are starting a discussion about how to cancel your account, growth of the site has been flat for multiple years, and SP integration is on the horizon within 12 months, am I wrong to post the subject above? Not asking if it's PC, just asking if the writing is on the wall, or I'm reading too much into this?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: RIP MRI?
    peymanagement Platinum

I think that with the merger there will be changes all around. I would not be surprised if your crystal ball is accurate. Hopefully Insiders will be replaced by something else.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I believe the discussion you were referencing (How do I cancel my Insiders account?) was originally posted back in 2014. So based on that alone, I'd say you're reading too much into it.

I'm not sure why someone would want to cancel an account (as opposed to just stop logging in) but perhaps there are reasons.

Anyway, I expect this site to continue being a great place to share stories and get travel advice. It's also a good place for the occasional rant or complaint as long as we recognize that we're venting and not looking for Marriott to address problems (I consider that a bonus when it happens).

Call me an optimist, but I anticipate more folks coming to check out MRI once the merger is complete. Whether they stick around or not is a different story.

I wouldn't presume  to say you are wrong to pose the question. I don't, however, see any such writing on the wall. To quote a now legendary Insider, "Keep on keepin' on, Insiders!"

peymanagement Platinum

bejacob I do agree with you on this and hope that it remains, but if I was sitting up in the board room and looking at where to spend money post merger, the participation numbers on here just would not convince me to keep it.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Perhap our gathering in Houston might change a few minds.

The "Live Elite" sweepstakes demonstrate an effort to get folks to come here to post, so there still appears to be a desire to drive traffic to the site.

Platinum

I agree! Obviously the Tipple group might be the most dedicated and interested members and hopefully the MRI site could benefit from your collective ideas. Go Houston - we have ignition!!

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I totally agree with what you are saying, here, bejacob.  The site is still valuable, even though Marriott has done much to diminish that value.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Agree with you , i think it will continue. It doesn't cost Marriott much money and they get a lot of feedback for little cost

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I dont really know if MRI is meeting its end but I'd say the IT issues identified fall in both Marriott.com as well as Insiders.

As for Marriott Outsiders this is a name that came up in the past. When I looked the Whois showed Dan Swaigen of PmConnect, an IT company from California. I'm not sure what its agenda is as it wasn't functioning when I had a look a few weeks ago.

Platinum

I only see private reg to goddday and it's up, and some functionality is working - I at least pinged the comments and maybe they will reply when it's up

peymanagement Platinum

Ya, I had my folks over at my used to place check it out, you are right. An PM/IT company in California. I could not get the website to work though.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

"Abusive replies" LOL now that's some funny stuff there.  Must already feel guilty ahead of time!

Platinum

IAHFLYR but of course - I fly on UAL all of the time (6 planes every 2 weeks) so I'm used to abuse. Between UAL and my good friends at the IRS it's a lovefest all the way around! MR is a picnic in person, but MRI members are PC when I say something, but not so much when they are not in a civil mood. I say to heck with PC period - and the CM's seem to agree by ignoring my requests when I get treated the same as other idiots on this site.

insertcoffee Platinum

Definitely think it is premature to assume the demise of MI.

Channel your inner Mark Twain.

There will be a lot of changes forthcoming, no doubt, and certainly I don't see any 'push' for sign ups-- but I never did at the genesis of MI, either.

I think to some degree starting MI regained control and allowed for the quasi-graceful exit and a built in excuse not to participate actively in FT ("We have a *special* forum, dedicated to Marriott, where you can go for your single source of truth/propaganda....").

We'll see what is in store as it unfolds.

Platinum

...I think I'll just return to Walden...no need for websites at all, so will return when the ripples from the first rock subside

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

walden is not what it use to be dan

Platinum

Neither is MRI, but who's complaining? Certainly not the geese or mice

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

This has been a nice site but participation has fallen off over the years.  I don't know of any other hotel chain that has one.  I have learned a lot and spent a lot due to learning of places to go.  I don't know why Marriott would kill it but they do strange things.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...