8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 11, 2016 5:53 PM by mustanggt RSS

WHAT IF WE COULD TRANSFER FREE NITE CERTIFICATES TO MILITARY MEMBERS/FAMILY??

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I was trying to figure out if I could use a free night certificate that I have from a promotion that expires in early September.  In review of my work schedule, etc. I do not see a way to use it.  I thought wouldn't it be great if Marriott could/would transfer these to members of our military or their spouses???

What do you all think - I am sure there are others like me that have certificates that go unused every year and this would be an awesome way to support our military and their families.....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: WHAT IF WE COULD TRANSFER FREE NITE CERTIFICATES TO MILITARY MEMBERS/FAMILY??
    Platinum

A great suggestion!  As it is now, you'd need to know the name of the party before you could do this, and technically they are not transferable. I think it'd be smart move for Marriott to consider offering this. It's already possible to donate just about any type of airline miles to military families. The other idea I'd add would be to offer certs to families of cancer patients when they are visiting from long distances.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: WHAT IF WE COULD TRANSFER FREE NITE CERTIFICATES TO MILITARY MEMBERS/FAMILY??
    john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

I would happily give my certs to a military family.

insertcoffee Platinum

Great idea, in theory.

In order to be very valuable, they'd either have to be surrendered ahead enough or be extended to be usable and planned for.  Lots of admin overhead to manage this, the website changes it would require, and myriad other steps.

And to whom would accrue the tax benefit of such a donation? 

While this Byzantine puzzle gets worked, you could:

--find out how to volunteer at a VA Medical Center or other DoD medical facility (see also Stand Down programs)

--learn more about the Ronald McDonald houses and cancer housing

--donate blood or, better yet, wo/man up and give platelets

--open your checkbook and make a charitable donation directly to an organisation with high return to constituents and not high wastage on senior execs

--encourage employment of our veterans at your workplaces

--visit a National Cemetery

--silently give people who have support or service dogs the benefit of the doubt. Just because you can't see what is wrong with them, doesn't mean they don't have a need

It's easy to 'have Marriott figure out something'-- for a certificate you got for free-- but what are *you* doing?

Platinum

I am doing plenty on my own, but I agree if there was a program in place managed by a 3rd party with Marriott's blessing, it would

• Take the onus off of Marriott to administer it
        • Allow the 3rd party to book with a simple code where Marriott could prevalidate the cert 1st
        • Help immensely and build genuine good will, brand awareness, benefit our service members and help MR members feel good about giving as well as possibly reap a tax write off (last point is last concern to me at least).

mustanggt Platinum

I like that idea ne_traveling_man .  Perhaps this could be an add-on to an existing Marriott charitable program that is already in place...the "good citizenship" program.  If you go to your main page and click on "badges", scroll down and you will find a "good citizenship" badge.  Basically, Marriott already has a program whereby you can donate points from your account.  They list three primary options which are the American Red Cross, the International Federation of Red Cross, and Hotels for Heros.  The Hotels for Heros fund brings comfort to U.S. Military servicemen and women undergoing medical treatment away from home.  Your donated points go directly to provide free hotel rooms to military service members in need as well as for family members visiting them.  It is easy to participate in this program.  To donate simply call Marriott at 801-468-4000 to make arrangements.  I have previously donated points to this fund, and I must say it is particularly gratifying.  Also, if you are a collector of "badges" like some of the MRI's are, you will receive a "good citizenship badge" (for bragging rights) and 25 points.  Finally, if none of the three charities strikes your fancy, I believe that Marriott also allows contributions to anyone of 1.5 million other charities. 

So while we wait for a way to donate free night certificates, in the meantime jump on the bandwagon and donate some of your points to help out U.S. military service members...It's easy to do and very rewarding!

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

Thanks MustangGT, I was not aware of the points donation available through Marriott!!  This is something I would definitely pursue.

I just wonder how many certificates do not get used by the expiration date and how it would be an awesome way to have them used by someone that has a need.  I understand some of the systemic complexities that may be involved (no I'm not going there with regards to lifetime points total), but perhaps with the SPG integration the "powers to be" at Marriott could find a way to make something like this work.

Thanks again for the great information on donating points!!!  My father was a Purple Heart recipient and my brother served in the military for 25  years and had many tours of duty in Vietnam so I have a heart-felt respect for those that serve to protect our freedom!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...