25 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2016 1:16 PM by erc RSS

Finding great at the last minute?

ilmk0801 Member
Currently Being Moderated

I just finished a vacation with my family. I flew first into Milwaukee and then looked for a centrally located hotel once I had landed. I went with a Hilton. Not all bad and I'm sure a bathroom could have been bigger if I paid more and gotten a bigger room. The bed wasn't comfy at all. The room once we had the couch pulled out was hard to maneuver. I didn't really find a Marriott centrally located. What is the best way for me to find a Marriott hotel after I have arrived at the airport? Is the app the best or Yelp or another way I hadn't thought of? Oh also how do you keep your kids entertained while finding a hotel? I usually get my info before hand (apparently I should have researched more) and I did get some but I still get a hotel after I have arrived at my destination, usually.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Finding great at the last minute?
    clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I think the Marriott app is best if you're sticking with a Marriott brand.  Hotels.com or TripAdvisor work well otherwise.  I like TripAdvisor a lot because the reviewers post candid pics which are useful to get a feel for the place.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mustanggt Platinum

Calling the Marriott reservations phone number can also yield fast results.  I have done this when I have been on the highway in an unfamiliar area and have found it to be very efficient.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I like this way also.

We recently had to evacuate from the coast due to Matthew.  I decided to go to TX to see family, which I'd been wanting to do anyway, but hadn't had the chance.

The rooms on the way on I-20 were filled to Birmingham, AL.  So, I think that by going outside the area that anyone else did, we got rooms cheaper than we would have by staying close and the electricity was off for the week we were gone anyway.  We got rooms at a SH in Arlington, TX across from Six Flags and the stadium for $84 / night at sr. rates, $77, $74, $84 at a CY in Killeen, TX one night.  The most expensive room we had was a CY in Tyler, TX for $124 one night on a Friday.

We got the 5000 bonus points.  There was a hotel in Addison, TX that was giving a bonus of 2000 pts. per night that I thought about using.  We just went to wherever there was a vacancy at a lower rate because we didn't have anything specific to do other than to see my sister in Lancaster on the weekend and on Columbus day when she wasn't working and to visit with my aunt in Milford.  A 2nd cousin who I've only met once before on the last trip we made to Dallas last year visited with us while we were at the room in Arlington.  He lives in the area around Lewisville.

It was the first trip we'd made since we moved to Myrtle Beach / Murrells Inlet area last August.

My husband got a pacemaker last June, 2015 after he retired.  He actually had to tell the doctors what was wrong with him by taking his blood pressure several times a day and recording it.  This was after several years of testing while he was working in Montgomery, AL and feeling really weak every day.

I had nearly died in April of this year from a low red-blood cell count where they sent me to the hospital immediately and I got 7 pints of blood.  After getting it, I felt so renewed.  I hadn't realized until I could hardly move that I was so close to dying.

ERC always called me the story teller, but when I found a place to post, I just went hog wild. 

Oh, yes.  When we got back to MB, we were so lucky.  A tree had fallen over onto the house.  We're still waiting for someone to come this Friday to give an estimate as to how much it will cost to move it.  And with the electricity off for a week, we had to get rid of everything in the fridge, of course.  But there are still people within 50 miles of us inland who haven't been able to get back to their homes because of flooded rivers, especially the Little Pee Dee and the Waccamaw.

erc Platinum

eb5147

I checked the date twice to make sure this wasn't an old post; it's been a long time, great to see you back in the game.

Holy cow, an eb with fresh blood, now we're talkin'!

The Insiders' own Scheherazade now cookin' with gas, good times ahead for the forum.

Great to hear you and your husband are doing well.

You can certainly speak to the truth of  'great day to be alive'. As always, keep on keepin' on.

Thanks, erc.  I knew you'd have something to say that would make me laugh. 

I'd forgotten how to include someone directly.  Scheherazade, huh?  That's about as good of a compliment as I've ever heard.    I think I posted about a year ago when you weren't around.

It's really hard for me to even find a way onto this site at times, and especially has been in the past.  It took a few tries today to find the right sign-in path and there it was on the notice, plain as day. 

What does the "I" in front of the gray dot mean?  I guess I could look it up someplace.

erc Platinum

I'm like you in terms of having to bang around the site to find things. According to this

What badges will I find on individual profiles?

it says the blue i is indicative of you being a prior Site Steward

(another thing, like Insider of the Month, that has come and gone)

Good having you back, glad you're in good health.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Best way is to plan ahead then you don't have to worry about how to entertain anyone.

ilmk0801 Member

Yes that would be the best option. I just work for an airline and therefore never really know when I'm going to get in.

Ahh the ole non-rev thingy huh?

ilmk0801 Member

Yep lol! Though I am finding that it's getting a little too stressful lately (hotel issues, time off) and therefore I'm buying more tickets domestically these days when I do fly. All the tips I've gotten are a BIG help! Thank you so much!

My best friend is a retired Captain and he's been buying tickets for the last couple of years as the planes are just too full to count on getting on a particular flight even with his level of seniority.

ilmk0801 Member

Really?! On a pilots seniority? wow. He has the right idea though. More and more these days flights are full. It's sad that he can't really use his benefits in retirement. Sorry to him!

Yep, on his seniority even and after some 32 years with the company.  He just does not want to risk it.  

seatexan Platinum

I use the map feature of the Marriott app.  It gives me a better idea of where the hotels are located rather than a list.  It's at the bottom right hand of the screen.

If there are none in a good location...which does happen, but not often, I then use TripAdvisor.  They have a map feature too.  Location is REALLY important. 

As for the kids...Sit and stay works well for mine:

image.png

I find food and bribery also works for 4 legged and 2 legged kids

ilmk0801 Member

lol! Thank you! I will try looking at the map. I didn't even know they had a map! I appreciate that tip. What a cute dog! TripAdvisor has been suggested twice now. I'll really have to take another look at that.

seatexan Platinum

You are welcome! and thank you

TripAdvisor is great for getting a better feel of the property, as clebert mentioned.  I like that people can post pictures and I feel the reviews are not as slanted... sorry Marriott Reviews (Marriott kind of picks and chooses the reviews posted on their own site).

When there are a few Marriotts in the city, I then go look at TripAdvisor to see which one has better reviews and check out the pictures. 

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I also like Oyster for candid pics of hotels, along with TripAdvisor.  What I really love about TripAdvisor is the ability to DM people and ask about their reviews/experiences.  I've found that most people reply and are happy to help (and are actual real people and not some fake review posted by the hotel!).

ilmk0801 Member

You can talk with the people who put the reviews on TripAdvisor? Awesome! Thank you!

insertcoffee Platinum

For Trip Advisor, you do not have to be a member to use the site to look for hotels (in this case, we are talking about hotels, though they have other sections as well) or to read comments, and so on.  I never book through TA, only directly with Marriott, but the information can be valuable, the travelers' photos can be helpful, and you can get a sense of the property from other perspectives, including seeing how management responds (or remains silent) to negative posts.

Many of the posts are often from other than road warriors, so they often have different familiarity with benefits and brand standards and so on, but add that into your calculus.

I'm assuming you are not with DL since you actually got to *go* on your vacation this week...   (Not asking you to confirm or deny.  Rough week for the Widget.)

I agree with ilmk0801.  Cute dog. 

lianghh Member

I used this app and found the last minute hotel

last minute hotel

ilmk0801 Member

thank you very much!

Jsucool76 Gold

Don't underestimate the power of apps like "Hotel Tonight" either. You can sometimes find some fantastic rates on there.

ilmk0801 Member

thank you! I have never heard of some of these apps and websites! Everyone on Marriott insiders has been wonderful!

I hadn't either, ilmk0801.  Great tips for future travel.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...