6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 9, 2016 11:30 AM by fschumpert RSS

Marriott Vacation Club Owners 90 Minute Presentation?

jzzlvrj Member
Currently Being Moderated

Greetings,

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton Head Marriott Hotel Resort and Spa for five very wonderful relaxing days. The hotel staff provided excellent customer service and the spa treatment was outstanding. Because my husband is an avid golfer he used the concierge desk to schedule his "T" times. While we were discussing the different options for play,  we were offered an opportunity to attend a "90" minute presentation on the advantages of the Marriott Vacation Club. This "90" minute presentation turned out to be a 3 hour sales pitch which I did not appreciate. Diana?, who was the last person brought in to force the sale, gave us what I would describe as a "Cotton Puff" handshake which left me feeling very uneasy. Clearly Diana never learned the power of a firm handshake. Since this experience I have read and re-read all of the hard copies we received about this presentation and every piece of printed information states the presentation is 90 minutes, but not really I guess!

Very Unhappy Doctor.

jzzlvrj

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Vacation Club Owners 90 Minute Presentation?
    curiousone Platinum

All timeshare presentations, whether Marriott, Starwood or Hilton, are going to have some very well trained sales persons doing their best to get you to purchase. (I have never found any to be pushy or aggressive.)  When you agreed to participate they made a deal with you, you give us 90 minutes of your time and we will give you 20,000 MR points or a $100 gift card (or similar amounts). Once the clock hit 90 minutes you have very right to stand up and request your "gift". Again, because the sales people are well trained it can feel difficult to do. My wife and I participate in a sales presentation each time we stay at a time share and always look forward to it as an experience where we can learn something new about the MVCI program or even share some knowledge with the sales person. (Most of them do not know about the Southwest Airlines Companion Pass program and using MR points to take advantage of that.) If nothing else, we meet some interesting people for 90 - 120 minutes. When I am at a MVCI property I am on vacation to relax and do not schedule much of anything, so have not problem giving some of my time for some of their money. (That is probably easier for me since we have no kids to worry about.)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

seatexan Platinum

3 hours!!! whoa! Yeah, I would have had to excuse myself for sure.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

"Cotton puff" handshake.  I love it.  Going to add to my vocab.  jzzlvrj, if you are an MD-type doctor, use the time-honored "hand on the door handle" technique.  Every MD I've ever seen has this thing mastered.  I'm pretty sure they teach it in med school. Just inch on over toward the door, open it slowly, start moving out into the hallway, and...well, you know the rest!  It doesn't really matter if the other person is still talking. We've gone to these presentations and not had a problem, but then again, we have a couple of techniques that have worked for us:  1) tell them up front that you have an appt. at the spa, dinner reservations, etc. in 90 min; 2) bring your kids and put them in the adjoining kid area so that someone has to take care of them; and 3) schedule the last possible appointment in the day so that the sales rep wants out of there as badly as you do.  Can't say we've tried the door handle technique yet, though

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

As a satisfied Marriott Vacation "Destination Points" member for several years, my wife and I have sat through presentations at two different locations, and even after we bought points in past years to determine if we wanted to add to our points. Thus far, we have stayed with our initial purchase.

We didn't opt for week-long stay at property for reduced rate, which is OK to do, but perhaps you might experience harder sales pitch this way. However, we've never had problems such as you described, and I've recommended MVC to others, some of whom have since bought into same program and are extremely satisfied.

"To each his own".....

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...