8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 6, 2016 12:59 PM by phctourist RSS

NO GUARANTEE ON ROOM TYPE.

astortx Member
Currently Being Moderated

I had booked 3 nights at  Gaylord Texan through Marriott reservations. At the time of booking they informed me that they can NOT guarantee the requested 2 queen beds, I may get a one king bed. I have explained that I am travelling with 2 kids age 11 and 4 and I really need two queen beds rather than king bed. The reservation person asked me to call the hotel a week before arriving and ask them to reserve a room with two queen beds.

Anyhow not to my surprise, today I have called the hotel and Marriott reservations and waiting more than 30 minutes and talking to about 5 people, they simply can NOT guarantee I will get two queen bed room. Two different explanations given 1- They only book the rooms by view; balcony, pool etc. 2-THE POLICY. The first explanation fails as I have asked to change my reservation by the view to get a two queen bed room, still view guaranteed but not the room type.

Second one POLICY is classical excuse for some unknown reason to me, but to known them. In this technological age, I am sure their computer programs knows how many people coming, when and they have the number of the rooms available. It is ridiculous NOT ABLE TO GUARANTEE the room type, never mind the even the room number., policy

I have looked for the top executives contact, but could not find it. I wish someone on top look at this issue and please explains the reasons.After all this is service related and Marriott supposed to be in service field.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: NO GUARANTEE ON ROOM TYPE.
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi astortx.  Sounds very frustrating! I'm one of the Community Managers here on the forum and I'd like to provide support.  I've reached out via direct message. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tker Alumni Steward Platinum 1 Reviews

I am able to get a guaranteed king or two queens. The room type says "King or two queens". The next page allows me to set my room preference and guarantee a bedding type. (This is a test reservation for Sept 21)

The times I cannot get guaranteed bedding is when that room type is just unavailable. Perhaps they don't have queen rooms available for your dates? I seriously haven't seen your challenge at any property over 10 years without it being availability. Nothing has ever been based on view.

astortx Member

Well, I am not sure where you are looking but I did exactly same day test reservation and still see KING or TWO QUEEN BEDS. in the next page still there is no guarantee for either, but there are room types for king beds.

You may be right about "sold out". 

Also I had talked to at least 6 Marriott customer service reps, 4 hotel front desk employees, all tells me otherwise. I called and talked to rep to book thoe days, not onlinebooking. I was specifically asking 2 queen beds. They simply can not or would not tell me whether it is sold out or not. If queen rooms are not available I believe they should had inform me. Before booking, I also checked with a booking site showing 5 rooms available.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Guaranteed room type is a Gold/Plat benefit unique to Marriott since they back up their room type guarantee with $100 if not performed. No other chain does this. What it does mean is that when you reserve with a different chain, whilst your reservation will show your room type choice, the hidden small print T&Cs will state it's not guaranteed. So other companies give you the illusion you've reserved a twin room when in fact you've reserved the category but room type is simply effectively an unguaranteed preference. I hasten to add I've always received my preference at Marriotts both before and after becoming Gold/Plat, so it's not a big thing. Alternatively, if you want your room to be effectively guaranteed (ie part of the contract) book a twin category room. Depending upon the size of a hotel they typically offer several different rooms, something like:

1. Deluxe room, twin or double

2. Deluxe larger twin room

3. King corner

Etc, etc

The first category is your problem, you really can't guarantee this type of room with any chain due to the small print (unless you're a Marriott Gold/Plat). In reality this is their standard room and if selected you're being placed in the "run of house" list which means front desk can put you anywhere.

The second category if booked would contractually entitle you to the twin beds because it's the only type in that category.

The third category is likewise contractually a King since it's the only configuration in that category.

Of course categories 2 and 3 are likely to be more costly than number 1 which really is, for its posh deluxe tag simply "run of house". But even if you book the deluxe twin/double, hotels don't want to disappoint so they will try their very best to place you in your preferred room type anyway.

On the other hand, Hilton has developed a real advantage for those that simply *must* get their room preference, it is rolling out a program whereby you can check-in the day before on your mobile phone app and select your actual room. Note however even this isn't guaranteed since Hiltons small print allows the final allocated room to be changed by the property on the day for operational reasons. But I'd say it's as near a guaranteed room type when booking run of house rooms as you'll get.

Never forget, as noted above, hotels don't want to disappoint, no matter what the chain, SPG, IHG, Hilton or Marriott, or independents, and the best way to maximise your chances of getting your twin (unless you book the category) is to checkin earlier rather than later. If a hotel is fully booked the last guest checking in that day will get the very last room, whatever it's room type, and no change can be offered as all other guests are checked in...

astortx Member

Thanks for all the info. I wonder why they just can not explain this to me. They just beat around the bush.

I have been staying at IHG for a long time, occasionally I had stayed JW,Hilton, but not enough even to to get points.

At the time of booking even for the higher price there is no option to get king or queens.

I believe this is to maximize the sales, but it probably have negative effect.  At least for me.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I hate to say it, but if Marriott cannot guaranty the kind of room that you require, then, perhaps, this is not the right hotel for you on this trip.

Jsucool76 Gold

Guaranteed room/bed type is a gold and platinum elite benefit as far as i know. That is why tker is able to get it, and you are not astortx.

astortx Member

I wish they tell me this when I called, no need to transfer 5 different people and make the call last for 30 minutes, wasting my and their time. What would be the reason not to tell upfront?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...