26 Replies Latest reply: Aug 9, 2016 2:29 AM by iahflyr RSS

Olympics in Brazil

702rugbyref Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

With all the issues, whether you were an athlete or not, would you attend? I am quite the adventurer but I just don't see the draw to attend these games with all that can and probably will go wrong. I can only imagine how jacked-up the quality hotel rates must be.

Citronella.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Rio de Janiero, Brazil
  • Re: Olympics in Brazil
    mustanggt Platinum

Plus, the IOC and WADA are making a mockery of the entire Olympic movement.  All I can say is: M-I-C-I-O-C 

M-O-U-S-E.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Watched a show oh HGTV last night about a couple relocating to Rio.  No way would I go as it has no appeal and then put in the IOC for this huge event....NO WAY!

702rugbyref Platinum

Not a chance - 2500+ in the past 6 months alone.

peymanagement Platinum

I have been to Rio and really enjoyed it. I would not likely go to a summer Olympics anywhere as it is much more effective to watch on TV. I have been to Winter Olympics and enjoyed. I expect the virus risk is over stated and while the crime rate is high, it is about the same as Detroit and I go there regularly. Houston is not far behind, ans we are having the Tipple there.  So yes if someone paid my way I would go, but otherwise Rio was ticked off my bucket list. from previous adventures.

702rugbyref Platinum

You are looking at the Rio as a glass half full for sure and I, well, I would not drink the water :-) I will go to Rio at some point hopefully but they must get their stuff in order. I can only imagine how $$$ the Marriotts must be down there during the games.

peymanagement Platinum

702rugbyref, good discussion but I am looking a Rio as Rio has been for years. Huge political problems, huge social problems, and economic problems but that is the same in many emerging places. It is a fabulous place to go as a tourist, but probably not a great place to live, particularly if you are  not of the privilege class that lives out towards the beaches and the hotels. Not half full, just the way it is and has always been.

cheers

702rugbyref Platinum

100% concur

seatexan Platinum

I would go to Rio! but not during the Olympics.  I would not go anywhere for a massive event like that.  Not even NY for the Macy's Day Parade.  Even the Houston marathon is nightmare to deal with and I had to go as my father ran it.

I like places best when they are at their norm. Prices are not inflated and it's pleasant when it's not overly crowded.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

702rugbyref

Think I'll pass on Rio.  Nice cartoon!

702rugbyref Platinum

lol. Love it myself!

mustanggt Platinum

Even if I were offered free tickets to Rio, I would respectfully decline.  It will be hard to beat watching all the action from the safety and comfort of home!

peymanagement Platinum

Looks pretty good and in eastern time zone.

peymanagement Platinum

are you guys on tape delay down there? My NBC is showing pre programming.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

i think the olympic committee will think twice when they award 2024 and will go to a city fully prepared to host. i wouldn't be surprised for LA to get the nod

peymanagement Platinum

Yep, you are right. they have the mandate to go to all of the continents and Rio is probably the best place other than Sao Palo. Toronto has all of the infrastructure to host without building anything but chose not to bid, so it will probably go to LA for the third time.

The only continent they haven't been I think is Africa but bet they go safe. I wish the World Cup would make the same choice but of course the voters get bribed

By the way I went to rio on business about ten years ago . We were visiting Embrear Air and had two body guards the entire time

peymanagement Platinum

Hi Jerry, 2004 for me. with the UN, no body guards but told not to venture too far back from the beaches. Then back in 2010 on own but knew where the seedy places where .  Where was the aircraft company? 

It was near San Paolo . i toured the facility and actually saw the first new larger plane with usair painting . Then they flew us to rio for carnival  on their company plane. The evp of embrear air  was my host so i assume they were more worried about him than me

702rugbyref Platinum

I think Rio is in the Atlantic TZ, is it not?

peymanagement Platinum

no one over but it is winter down there. Par of the year they are two or three hours ahead and the rest 1.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Rio is 1 hour ahead of EST and 2 hours ahead of CST. I do not know what that time zone is called.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Atlantic Standard Time

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

702rugbyref, I'd go!  I'd go to Rio anytime, Olympics or otherwise.  I survived zika in Puerto Rico, so not to worried about that.  I do agree with SeaTexan about crowds, though.

chobbits Platinum

I would love to go to Rio. I made it to Sao Paulo last year, but couldnt get up to Rio. I felt safe - no problems.

In this time that we live in, is anywhere "safe" ? If you take the attitude that you wont go somewhere as its not not safe, then you wouldnt ever leave your own house

702rugbyref Platinum

Yeah, I just am weary of being in the wrong place with no avenue of escape

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...