23 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2016 10:17 AM by TheAndersenFinancialGrp RSS

Disappointed in Stay and Nobody will get back to me

jmanning1976 Member
Currently Being Moderated

Does anyone know how to get someone to actually repsond to a complaint? I have been trying since Saturday to get someone to listen to me and nobody will help!

I feel I am entitled to at LEAST an apology o some sort of response from Marriott as up until today, nothing has been done for me.  I stayed at the Courtyard in Palo Alto, CA on Saturday July 30th.  When I arrived, I presented a friends and family rate authorization form, provided to me by a family member who works at the corporate offices in Utah, where I currently reside.

I have used the Friends & Family discount many times over the years.  When I presented the certificate, i was told that it was expired.  I inadvertently must've grabbed the wrong one from home before I left.  I explained to the front desk that nobody was home in Utah to fax or email me the correct form and that I was in town for my beloved grandmothers funeral.  They insisted I procure the iorrect form or else be charged the full rate of $350.00 for the night.  I am on a very tight budget due to health issues and treatments, and I advised them that the only reason I chose the courtyard was because of the $109 rate.  I explained that I did not have it in my budget to afford the $350 rate.  They advised that I could go somewhere else, but would have to pay the late cancellation fee if i did.  At this point, I was running out of time, as I had to be at the funeral service. 

Upon returning from the service, I tried calling the marriott rewards number to see if they could assist.  I repeatedly got hung up on and was told I was now bound to the $350 rate. 

I ended up pawning my watch and a ring in order to pay for the hotel room.  On top of that, I killed no less than 17 spiders while in the room, and complained to housekeeping about the dirt ring in the tub.  I am so beyond disappointed in my experience that I dont even know what to say anymore.  The front desk was rude, disrespectful, and unsympathetic to my situation.  I am a rewards member, loyally choose marriott whenever I travel, and was appalled that a woman, crying, in YOUR lobby, worried about not having a place to stay for the night, in town from Utah, for her grandmothers funeral, would be treated like this.  The two women at the front desk were snickering at me, and spoke to me with a tone of which was less than professional.  I do not know what Marriott could do at this point to turn this around for me.  I SOLD MY OWN WATCH AND RING to pay for this room.  I asked them to please review my rewards account so they could see that I stay with you guys frequently and have used valid Friends & Family rates before, but I was met with snide remarks about "getting it together".

I would appreciate a response from SOMEONE as soon as possible.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Disappointed in Stay and Nobody will get back to me
    seatexan Platinum

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry to hear about this.  I am sure a Community Manager here will be sending you a Direct Message asking for some information.

I wonder if you can speak to your friend that works for Marriott.  Can you fax in the correct friends and family rate paper you were given to the hotel for a refund?

Keep us posted on the progress of this.  I am sure this was incredibly difficult and even worse they were snickering at you.

I am also sorry for your loss.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Thanks for sending me the additional details, jmanning1976. Just need a few more bits of information from you and then I'll be able to take a deeper look into this for you. 

jmanning1976 Member

I got a direct message, thanks! Yes, the whole thing sucked! every last bit of it from my loss, to the pawning, to the fear of having no where to go in a place i had never been. 

jmanning1976 Member

the rate varies per property, location, and season. there is no one set rate, and it doesnt apply to every hotel. For instance, really popular spots do not honor it. I think you are allowed to stay as many days as your reservation is.

jmanning1976 Member

Ive never had one that cheap! LOL. you have to know someone who works for marriot. Its a big process too. Its not easy, you have to ask the friend, they have to get it approved by like five people, then they issue a certificate.

todzwif Platinum

I worked for Marriott, it's not a huge process.  I just logged into the system, typed my friend's name and either printed or emailed the certificate.  It's a great perk!

Platinum

Let's hear more todzwif please - even start a blog. We need to know what life looks like on the other side of the screen/counter!

todzwif Platinum

I actually worked for the Vacation Club, very enjoyable experience for me, even though I was ultimately a part of the downsize of the HR dept.  The pay wasn't wonderful, but the benefits were good and the people I worked with were a blast.  Good values, good company and hard working, good people.  I think there are those everywhere that don't give 100%, but that is not the majority. 

As for the original poster/discussion, the fact of the matter is, the certificate expired.  Had the front desk person accepted it, when the night auditor discovered the discrepancy, you may have had a surprise on the bill at check out (happened to me once when I forgot to give the certificate at check in.)  You wouldn't want the front desk rep to be reprimanded (or worse) for breaking the rules; the certificate has to be presented and has to be valid.  I had another property call me once to verify employment of the person who issued the certificate because it was set to expire soon.  It's their job to collect the information, it's the responsibility of the guest to bring the documentation.  You could have gone to the business center, used the computer to print a correct one if it was in your email.  It doesn't change what happened to you this stay, but just a thought for next time. 

todzwif Platinum

Also, the F/F rate is different at different properties.  I don't recall anything being $25.  $39 (FF)-$125 (RC) depending on property.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

What a dreadful experience, jmanning1976, and my sympathies for your loss.

As for the hotel, the problem here is competing priorities. Allowing the use of out of date documentation whether for hotel rooms, Carhire, or say Court evidence is that it opens the whole evidence process up to fraud, and with highly discounted friends and family rates, that can be costly to a hotel.

Alas, people lie. Lots of people lie. They lie about forgetting things when they didn't , they lie about their reasons, weddings, poorly relatives, funerals. Some go to extremes, crying, wailing it will cost them their job, car, home. People lie. That's the truth. As a lawyer I see it week in and week out. If people told the truth there'd be no need for police, lawyers, judges, juries, detectives, forensic accountants, immigration officers, airport security. People lie. And sometimes they lie to gain very small advantage, $200 off a hotel bill. Not worth that kind of lie? Think again. People are up every day before the courts for stealing far less than that. And when they get to court, guess what? They compound their theft by lying about it... It wasn't them, or they did it to buy their mom some food, pay her electricity, water, funeral. People lie.

If everyone told the truth then you wouldn't even need to bring your proof of entitlement along, because you, like everyone else, wouldn't lie... But we don't live in that world, we live in a world where people lie. Every second of every day people are opening their mouths and telling lies to gain some advantage, millions are lying right this second, many of them to hotel clerks trying to wangle a free meal, a room upgrade, a rate they're not entitled to. And the receptionist has the gatekeepers job when a guest says their reason for getting it wrong is "whatever"... The front desk job is to act within the discretion given by their boss and if it's in their discretion try to decide those that should be helped from those that shouldn't. Not an easy task. Of course it would be easier for the clerk just to accept your wrong documents and hand over the keys. She's not paid any extra to refuse you. You're happy, the desk is quickly cleared and she can get on it the next task, or if none, furtively play on her phone! The alternative is watching you dissemble, and repeatedly having to deal with you and your to-ing and fro-ing again and again. I bet this took well over an hour of face-to-face stress. Then there's the next day, inevitably there will be more complaints and after that complaints to customer services. She'll be answering for that decision for the next week or two, or depending how far the hotel - or you - take it, months.

Believe me, it would have been so much easier for the front desk to accept your wrong documents and hand over the keys.

But she didn't and alas that was an error of judgement. If she didn't have the discretion to accept the wrong documentation then she should, as matters developed, have handed it over to someone who did. And there has to be someone with discretion around, this isn't a lawyers office or a police cell. Police and lawyers trade on the truth and proof. Hotels are in the hospitality business. And in its treatment of you this property forgot that. IIt's a hotel...its hospitality. There must have been, had to be, a better way of doing this than have you pawn your jewellery to pay an inflated hotel rate. Some compromise must have been able to be found, some way to verify you. There was no "spirit to serve" here and I would sincerely hope the hotel will find a way to make good, well bearing in mind your ordeal, as near to good as possible, so a fullsome apology, full refund and some other gesture really is the minimum necessary. This property forgot that it's in the hospitality business and neither had the staff nor management structure to flexibly deal with you. The rules over-ruled everything. A true "jobsworth" award.

I wish you every success and I'm sure on reflection the hotel will decide to review their actions. Do keep us all advised if progress on this thread.

jmanning1976 Member

I Agree, Bob. I am a paralegal and deal with liars all day as well. Was just a disappointing experience and lacked the hospitality you speak of that I have come to associate with the Marriot, as A brand.   Living in Salt Lake City, we are all very proud of the Marriotts and what they stand for. It was a difficult weekend all around for me, I really just wanted Marriott to know.

Platinum

Dreadful indeed - Love that expression.I am a project manager and also deal with liars at least part of most days. Nice to have someone not bs you when you're finally back to the hotel.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

Thats a very tough situation to be in and im sorry for the bad experience. Although i think the hotel could have handled it better, the were not wrong at all in not accepting the expired certificate. Theres alot of lies that a front desk agent usually deals with from customers that juts want discounts and comp stuff. I think many have turned cynical when issues like these arise.

giagigi Platinum

I've had horrible experiences as well at the Courtyard Marriott in Simi Valley Ca....This was on Father's Day my last day there and they had plumbing issues which caused them to turn the water off and all they could tell me was that, "if you need to shower we may supply you with water bottles"...?!? REALLY WATER BOTTLES TO SHOWER? I COULDN'T EVEN USE THE RESTROOM AND ON TOP OF IT ALL THE STAFF WAS EXTREMELY RUDE! Than my fiancee and I both had been stalked by someone whom we think may have been an employee working there the first night due to our complaints with several issues regarding the staff and our room...IT WAS HORRIBLE AND ONLY TO FIND OUT THAT THE HOTEL HAD NO CAMERAS SO THAT WE'D BE ABLE TO REVIEW THE FOOTAGE AND FIND WHOM WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR IT ALL...REASON BEING "SIMI VALLEY IS CONSIDERED BEING A SAFE CITY THEREFORE CAMERAS ARE NOT NEEDED" WHAT?!? ALL IN ALL A NIGHTMARE OF A STAY AND IT RUINED MY DAY THAT I HAD TO SPEND WITH MY FATHER AND MY FIANCEES FATHER AS WELL!!!! I HAVE YET TO BE GIVEN AN APOLOGY AND WHAT I CONSIDER FAIR MY REWARDS POINTS REIMBURSED! I FEEL YOUR PAIN!

insertcoffee Platinum

It would not seem likely a total water outage on Father's Day was a planned event; if it was an emergency shut off, there really would not be any way to provide for showers at the property during that time, though a creative manager would be able to find a way to handle it perhaps better than what it sounds like might have happened here.

Sounds like a full weekend, with stalkers, no shower, and is made even more vivid by the fact it also seems to have caused your caps lock to be in the stuck position.

Hope you are able to communicate with the manager in a non-emotional way to get the resolution you're looking for. I'm surprised you're still working on compensation issues over a month after the event.

TheAndersenFinancialGrp Member

We too have been stalked by staff and management.  Really, something needs to be done.

insertcoffee Platinum

Sorry for all of the issues and drama. Hope you are able to get this resolved. It is unfortunate this was not escalated to someone empowered to possibly do things differently for you, though that person, too, may have stuck to the 'rules are rules' inflexible posture.

As an aside, you say your pawned your jewelry, and then say you sold it; I've never been in a pawn shop, but my understanding is that both things are possible there. If you did pawn it, and not sell it, can you at least get your jewelry back by paying whatever the fee is associated before the time period is up?  It would be even more salt in the wound if you permanently lost your goods.

jmanning1976 Member

I wasnt emailed my F&F certificate. It was handed to me.  They have done nothing to rectify any of it except offer to reduce the rate whenm I get a new certificate.  I stayed at a marriot in NJ and had toilet issues.  They refunded me for my WHOLE stay and gave me 5000 bonus points.  I had a similar issue with my F & F rate at a residence inn in Queens, and the manager there just honored the price, no questions, no hassle.  I have no idea why a solution is good for one of their hotels but not another. 

I will attempt to retrieve my jewelry but its doubtful at this juncture.  I am still out $350 plus overdraft fees.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Why do you need a new certificate, jmanning1976? according to your opening post when you presented the expired certificate you realised "I inadvertently must've grabbed the wrong one from home before I left" so surely you're now back at home it's just a matter of sending through the correct one?

As for different compensation, well some hotels are more generous and view customer service and some differnt types of failings as having a different value to others. Each one is a matter for the manager of all the different franchises.

In any event if you are to unlock compensation here it seem you must be able to prove you were entitled to the rate at the time you checked in which means producing the original that you left at home.

gomer Platinum 2 Reviews

manning1976i, my condolences for the loss of your grandmother and for all the angst you needlessly experienced due to the actions/ inactions of both the Courtyard in Palo Alto, CA & Marriott Corporate.

Based on jmanning1976is experience, I'd say that both the Courtyard in Palo Alto, CA and Marriott Corporate failed him miserably.  It's hard to justify future loyalty to a company that doesn't try to help someone out when they're going thru a difficult family tragedy,  When policies & procedures trump compassion and common sense, something's terribly wrong.

All of the thousands of dollars Marriott spent by on marketing & advertising (saying that they care) were just undone by this inane greed grab for $250.  The death of common sense!  So sad.

agbcpa Platinum 5 Reviews

I have found that more and more Marriott staff does not go beyond in these cases - I have actually sat with GMs of hotels and given them suggestions of what could have been done to rectify bad situations (non-cost solutions) and look at me with blank looks.  It all come down to training at all levels to make the guest experience the best it can be and when it is not coming up with easy solutions to let the guest know their business is wanted and appreciated

TheAndersenFinancialGrp Member

I have been a Ritz Carlton (owned by Marriott International, LLC.),Rewards Member , and subsequently ,a Marriott Rewards Member, since 2010.  On several if my recent trips to the Ritz, you would not believe the treatment etc, disregard for human decency and even illegal..  Now, so far at the Marriott, we have had good experiences.  The thing that burns me up about the Ritz,  the truth is, they know nothing about customer service,  esp...loyal customers... We must be expendable once we retire and or become disabled or on tight budgets.. Back in the day, I was spending $1000's of dollars a day, at Ritz Carltons all over the world.. And rarely had a problem.. Even though there were a few staffing flaws along the way.   !! Now  they teach and win awards about their excellent customer service, but "don't practice what they preach". And they charge people and larger companies to come to forumns , so they can... Teach them how?? Really.  Keep going up the ladder to speak to the top decision makers.  But good luck, because so far my ," so called apology, was a nightmare worse than the previous disaster.  Basically they need a full management and staff change or probably will loose most of their loyal customers.  We could start a conversation here for a redo.  Thank you,  AFG

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...