5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2010 9:00 AM by andymc RSS

Capital snow

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Seeing the historic snows in Washington and environs today I was reminded of past stays at the Marriott Crystal Gateway hotel in Arlington VA during similar (but not as dramatic) events.  In one case the hotel purchased 700 small pocket sized flashlights in anticipation of a power outage during an ice storm. In another, associates working in the lounge were given the option of over-nighting in the hotel at no charge rather than try to drive home.

Al Bonney, then the General Manager, was there all the time, making sure the 700 room hotel was running smoothly.

Is anyone currently stranded in Washington during this storm and staying at a Marriott?  If so, I would like to hear your stories.  Thanks.

• Re: Capital snow
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Stepping,

Am in Baltimore right now!

No Marriott close to me in Pikesville, so I had to stay at a Hilton that is nice.  We have two feet of snow outside and another 12 inches predicted in the next few hours.  

Stepping, they have  a 25% surcharge on the taxi's and there is a lot of uncertainty of this area.

Stepping, no stories like the old day's, when traveling was a lot more fun.  Now it's just a hope that I can get out of here and get to Chicago this week-end for a stay at the RI off Michigan Ave, one of my favorites!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Jerry, my condolences--I am off to DC next week and hope that the airports are open and that DC is plowed out!

I agree that travel is more of a hassle than in days past--by at least a factor of three!  Marriott hotels, for me at least, make it palatable.

Best of luck and stay away from cabs that scalp the fare!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

andymc Silver 8 Reviews

I'm travelling to the UK tomorrow, and have had my flights from Syracuse and Washington Dulles cancelled out from under me.  I'm not stranded in DC as a consequence of changing my schedule to fly from Ottawa to Chicago and on from there.  I will however be 'stranded' (unplanned stop) in the Ottawa Marriott.  I'll let you know what it is like tomorrow night!

One thing that did stike me as odd is the CAN$40 surcharge for having 3 or more people in the room...I called the elite reservations line and they tell me that although rare, some Marriott hotels still charge an additional fee for more than 2 people in a room. I though Marriott was above charging a surcharge, especially when I have a room booked with 2 queen size beds - plenty room for 4!

Good luck to all those travelling across the East Coast region over the next few days.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Andy,

Good luck on the trip!

You will be in good hands at the Ottawa Marriott.  If you have time for one nice dinner, try the Social, across from the US Embassy.

Hope they give you a break on the rate!

andymc Silver 60 Reviews

Thanks Jerry...me too!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...