PP member...longtime follower...first group question!
I made a reservation for a room at a very busy resort this summer for 1-2 nights. Rather than paying $550 a night, can I use points at time of checkin instead? Category 8 Autograph Collection hotel.
I Just don't want to get there and be denied the ability to use points since my reservation was for $$. Not sure if they would be pissed, or have the ability to deny me using points.
Well, you can use points, instant redemption costs 190,000 points for a $1000 credit, which won't even cover your room costs for the 2 nights at $550/nt. If however you simply booked the reservation as a redemption right now the cost for the 2 nights would be only 80,000 points!
The following pointers come to mind:
1. Make sure your current cash reservation is refundable
2. Make your rewards reservation for the night
3. Only then cancel your cash reservation
4. If no rewards inventory is available you could try ringing the elite line to change your cash reservation to rewards. I don't know whether they can do that but it's worth a try.
5. If you really, really want to pay via instant redemption (or can't get a redemption night) do be aware a lot of hotels bill your card for the room overnight before checkout so it's worthwhile on checkin dealing with the instant redemption then.
6. If your reservation is Advance Purchase then youre out of luck as the hotel will already have taken your cash, but you could still do an instant redemption against incidentals.
Here's the Marriott Instant Redemption page Instant Redemption | Marriott Rewards | Marriott Hotels
Hope all this helps...