7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 12, 2016 9:37 PM by homoviator RSS

Addititional charge for resorts while using points

karakusunlar Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

For the first time I am trying to spend my points for reservation but the hotel is asking 70 Euro / person for all-inclusive benefits. I am very dissatisfied on why there is no option to pay with points ?

It is actually very simple; istead of 15.000 points per stay, make it 25.000 etc per stay without asking any more direct payment.

This is very unlogical.

Cheers

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Addititional charge for resorts while using points
    stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

I have stayed at Marriott resorts, on points, which is where the resort fee issue comes up. There are other threads on this topic. Basically, Marriott resorts don't have lounges and wont give free wifi, or any of the bennies for gold/platinum when redeeming on points. As an aside, at a resort, if paying the cash rate, the resort fee is an extra as well, so there is no all in room rate at resorts with Marriott (which is why places like Sandals or others with all inclusive do so well with certain segments of the population). While your suggestions seem logical, what you could do, should you be so inclined, is to redeem points for Marriott gift cards, which then would give you the ability to redeem points for free nights and points for the gift cards to pay for the resort fee. When redeeming for gift cards, it can be point pricey, so think long and hard, but if you have points to burn, or just don't want to have any cash out of pocket, then that is the only way I see to accomplish the covering of resort fees.

Good luck and hope you find your travels to be pleasurable

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

karakusunlar Silver

hi stelzer, excellent help, as far as I see 100 USD gift card is 25.000 points. I will ask the hotel if they accept that and try to use it for resort fee if I can.

I wish there was a cheaper and easy way too

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

I believe that per the Gift Card terms, they can be used for any charge against your room account, food, sundry, parking, resort fees. Unless the resorts has some unusual policy, there should not be an issue, but it never hurts to ask., Good luck

donk71 Platinum

I am in the same boat for an upcoming trip as well. I discovered that I can buy $100 Marriott gift cards through Chase's Ultimate Rewards shop for a more reasonable 10k points.

homoviator Platinum

I have to say, for anybody listening, I'd happily pay a few extra thousand points if I could get breakfast included at AC Hotels or resorts! Although 70 euro that includes breakfast (and more?) is a great deal. Pay cash and hopefully it's at a time during a promotion. There's worse things than that.

I'm not sure, but donk71, I don't know if you can use Marriott Gift cards in Europe.

peymanagement Platinum

I am listening to you homoviator, on points for b fast AC should provide that benifit, My experience at AC is that they pretend that they never have even heard  of Marriott gift cards even though the cards say all 4200 participating Marriott hotels. So which one is not participating,,,. Sorry on an earlier post that you were chastised by another member..

homoviator Platinum

I'm correcting myself, I thought the entire charge for the hotel was 70 euro a night (a great rate), not 70 just for benefits (not so great, but not horrible to for all inclusive). You should really just tell us what hotel it is so that we can all keep this in mind when we are in Europe. I'm really curious. 

I found something similar in Puerto Rico at the Courtyard. Once I figured in resort fees, the cost was insane.  They lost out of about 10 nights of business there from me because of that.

And on that note, I fully agree that there should be a way to pay for resort fees with points. Although, in the back of my mind, I feel like there is. Can we pay for things with points? I don't usually look up these things but I'm going to and will report back if I find anything.

Part of the issue too may be that it's in Europe. So please, pretty please, tell us where it was karakusunlar

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...