27 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2016 9:40 AM by carat RSS

Mysterious Airplane Badge?

YogiB Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

While replying to the Delta Brand Badge discussion, I took a look at the badges and how they're shown on the MR badges page.

In the picture file that contains all of the possible badges (except the Delta badge!?) on the bottom there is an airplane badge.

Anybody knows what this is?

marriott airplane badge.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Mysterious Airplane Badge?
    702rugbyref Platinum

Never seen it before. Is this included on your profile page on the Insiders?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

YogiB Platinum

No, it's on Marriott Rewards badges, not on Insiders.

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

I checked my Rewards account and I definitely don't have an airplane badge. 

YogiB Platinum

The badge can be seen in https://www.marriott.com/Images/MyAccount/badgesAll_vertical.png

This is the picture file used to display all badges on everyone's profile pages.

nationwide Platinum

YogiB the airplane badge doesn't show on my end either, as earned or available....  Perhaps you are the first recipient of a new, special aviator's badge!    Boy, IAHFLYR is going to be miffed he didn't get in on this one!   Seriously though, did you do a status match (reciprocal?) with United or something like that through Marriott?  You got a plane badge as part of the "pilot" program with them?  Can't wait to hear the story when we figure this one out.  bejacob is an expert on these web-thingys I think he calls them.  Let's ask him.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I don't see it anywhere on my account. Here's what I've got so far.

badges_all.PNG

No sign of an airplane badge.

seatexan Platinum

I can't believe you are missing RC, JW and ED! C'mon!

Just one more ED stay right?  Didn't you try the New York one? 

Great badge collection!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

No idea when the second Edition stay will happen. Yes, I tried the one in NYC.

JW is scheduled for Houston (seems to me something is going on there in September ). RC is hard to say. Might happen this year. No rush as the payoff is just the badge and 25 points.

YogiB Platinum

No, I didn't receive it. I don't even get to see it as available on my normal profile page. I tried to explain that it's in the picture file, which is not visible entirely on the front-end page due to the programming. I found it by opening the picture file directly (to see if the Delta badge was hidden in there, see the discussions on the Delta badges).

So, I could think of three possible options:

1) It's a badge that is long gone and apparently so long that one of the community members here knows about it

2) It's a new badge in the works

3) It was in the works, but the project got cancelled before completion and the IT team never considered getting rid of it in the picture file.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

So while it's in a file then, you don't actually see it on your webpage?

YogiB Platinum

Exactly!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Yogi, Yogi, Yogi... Since you're enjoying a good romp through the developer console, maybe you can solve Marriott's issue with the invisible lifetime points!    Plus show them how to add that Delta badge at the same time!

YogiB Platinum

I'd love to, but it doesn't work like that. The Marriott website has a certain programming language that is first run on the server (sends requests to the databases to get specific information) and will generate a specific page that is transferred to your internet browser to visualize.

This is why I get to see MY profile page when I log in and you get to see YOURS.

I only have access to my customized page, not the script that is executed on the server, which contains the most likely the problem to why the member database server can't reply with the proper Lifetime Points.

I'm not a particular programming hero, but I have basic skills of interpreting (not necessarily re-creating) of a few web languages (HMTL, CSS, PHP), since I have programmed simple websites or adapted scripts and plugins of Wordpress and Joomla.

Platinum

YogiB You'd think since MR's strongest airline partnership is with United and Star Alliance, they'd make it specific to that - maybe you can save these in a virtual trunk to pass down to your grandkids sorta like the infamous upside down biplane postage stamp with one exception - zero value

YogiB Platinum

I did briefly consider that, but then it would make not a lot of sense, since all Platinum members get elite status at United any way.

nationwide Platinum

Interestingly, I just clicked on Yogi's original link and noticed a second level Platinum badge (likely intended for Platinum Premier)...  Hadn't seen that one before either

iaskquestions Member

You most likely did a airline vacation package and they awarded you that badge, Or maybe you linked your airline account with Marriott rewards and you reached a milestone or something..

YogiB Platinum

Interesting.

Any members here that ever did a vacation package including flight that may confirm?

702rugbyref Platinum

Ahhhh..that could be it! Not me.

YogiB Platinum

I may have scared of the community managers, since in my short presence on Insiders it seems that I have asked complicated questions. But it might be the right moment for them to enlighten us before any real conspiracy theories bloom from this.

carat, are you brave enough to take this on?

702rugbyref Platinum

There is a chance they don't know.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

It is very mysterious!!  We are taking a look into this for you all.  In the meantime, I have a question for you, YogiB.  Is your Rewards account set to earn points or miles? 

YogiB Platinum

In the very beginning I was earning miles, however, I quickly switched to points and stayed there.

I'm sure it can't be related to earning miles, since you can only earn badges if you opted to earn points in stead of miles.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Thanks, YogiB

Jsucool76 Gold

Back in 2006 marriott toyed with the idea of purchasing an airline. This badge would have signified that a member was top tier in both airline and hotel status.

Totally just made that up.

YogiB Platinum

You're a tease!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...