40 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2017 4:31 PM by birdoinboston RSS

Rollover nights - Still in play going in to 2017?

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I was just reviewing the rules to see if roll over nights are still in play, for achieving elite status, and didn't find mention of them.  Anyone know if nights over your achieved level are rolled in to the next year, is in years past?  If yes, are any excluded?  i.e. Nights rolled over from prior year, nights credit for reward stays, etc.

Looking forward to the responses.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Rollover nights - Still in play going in to 2017?
    YogiB Platinum

Any nights earned are rolled over, even through bonus points or birthday presents. Carat confirmed it recently in another thread.

You cannot have them roll over more than a year, but the system takes your rolled over nights for upgrading your status before using your newly earned nights, so in reality, you'll keep on rolling over nights if you continue to stay at Marriott hotels every year.

You might also want to read the rollover FAQ here: Elite Rollover Nights FAQs Page

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

mustanggt Platinum

This is not entirely correct YogiB.  For example, rollover nights for 2017 are calculated by starting with the total number of earned nights for 2016 (which includes 2015 rollover nights), then subtracting the 2015 rollover nights from the total.  You then compare this adjusted total to your status requirement (75 for platinum).  Any amount in excess of your status requirement is then rolled over into 2017.  There is an example shown in the "Elite Rollover Nights FAQs Page".

YogiB Platinum

That's exactly what I said / try to say.

As I mentioned: nights don't roll over more than a year. So 2015 nights can't roll over to 2017. And your oldest nights [of 2016] will be the first to be deducted to calculate your status for 2017.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

psudad, I seem to recall that rollover nights was made a permanent benefit a few years back. Here's an article that substantiates that.

http://loyaltytraveler.boardingarea.com/2012/12/20/marriott-rewards-elite-rollover-nights-permanent-benefit-for-2013/

I haven't heard anything lately to make me think this has changed.

YogiB Platinum

Thanks for the article link.

It's only 'permanent' until the big bosses will determine that it's no longer permanent. We're at the mercy of their wilfulness of not changing the T&Cs.

However, I hadn't noticed up until now that no nights roll over when we don't renew our level of elite status or achieve a higher level.

This year I'll most likely reach Gold status, but barely. Or I decide to maybe go for Platinum with some extra trips, but I'm not sure that I can have at least Gold status next year, let alone Platinum.

On top of that, no guarantee that there will be a Status Buy-Back opportunity every year? But even on top of that, it's something retroactive, so the nights still don't roll over (which is not a biggie for Platinum Elite members, but it makes it harder for Gold Elite members to ever get to Platinum). On top of that: let's be honest that 25k or, even more so, 40k points is quite a lot for the small travellers!

702rugbyref Platinum

I think they are 'guaranteed' ...at least until the next time Marriott changes it's policies.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Think they are guaranteed but who knows what the new combined Marroitt/ Starwood loyalty program will look like once 2018 roles around 

702rugbyref Platinum

I have enough this year to almost roll over for the next 2 years..currently at 131nights (and missing one from last weekend) and 3 more upcoming this weekend.

Thanks, all, for the answers and the links!  I renew Gold within a week or two.  We'll see about Platinum.

Platinum

It'd be helpful if a Community Manager could weigh in here. The answers are all great, but all start with "I think" or "I hope" etc. Someone most likely knows the answer considering it's nearly August.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi Insiders!!  Rollover nights are very much a thing and we have no plans on removing this benefit.  mustanggt and YogiB have summed it up very nicely, thanks you two!!  Also, the link that YogiB has provided is the most up to date information about this promotion.  Feel free to check it out here: Elite Rollover Nights FAQs Page

Feel free to reach out to any of us Community Managers if you have any additional questions. 

Platinum

carat - great! Thanks for the positive confirmation.

Hoosteve Gold

Thanks.  All makes sense, except I have a followup...

Let's say after deducting 2015 rollover I have 16 nights at 12/31/16.  I am currently Silver and I get that 10 will be removed in order for me to maintain Silver, leaving 6 to rollover.  Here is my question:  in 2017, will I need 50 nights (44 more + rollover) to get to gold or do I get credit for the 10 taken for Silver (and thus only need total of 40 in 2017, with a 6 head start).

I can try to clarify my Q if that is murky.  Bottom line:  I have enough to maintain silver - ignoring rollover, am I considered at 10 nights or 0 nights towards elite on 1/1/17?

I have the cc that gets me "automatic silver."  I am not sure if that is automatic at the beginning, or because it gives the 15 nights on my anniversary.

Thanks!

P.S.  I am now traveling and will have chance for 2017 Gold/Platinum. 

YogiB Platinum

If you read the second bullet point in the FAQ, it will answer your question.

So, for example: right now you have 16 nights in 2016. Lets say you have 4 nights that are rolled over from 2015.

On midnight of Dec 31 2016, when everybody is enjoying the fireworks, the big Marriott Rewards servers will take your 4 nights from 2015 and 6 nights from 2016 to renew your Silver status for 2017. This means you'll get to roll over 10 nights to 2016. This means you'll have to earn at least 40 Elite nights if you want to become Gold in 2017.

If ever you have, let's say, 20 nights rolled over from 2015 into 2016, for 2017: 10 nights will be used to renew Silver status. The other 10 are expiring (can't roll over more than one calendar year) and your 16 nights from 2016 all roll over to 2017.

Just follow the FAQ, change the digits for your own nights and do the math.

And, if you get the Marriott Visa before the end of this year, on your anniversary date next year (and all subsequent years), you will receive 15 nights credit, bringing you to 25.  Contact Customer Service, let them know when your birthday is and request a birthday night's credit, now you are at 26.  With the credit card, you get one night's credit for every 3,000 you spend on the card.  So, let's say you click off 1,000 per month.  Now, you are at 30 and you haven't slept in a Marriott bed yet.  Gold is in your future.  :-)

Hoosteve Gold

YOGIB, psudad and others (including carat) -  Thanks for taking the time and providing all the good info.  I get the gist of how it works but I had a specific question which I am not sure that you addressed...and I think a slight error.  Hopefully carat can weigh in.  Also the example is to go from Plat to Plat, so my question not really addressed there since nothing above Plat.  But, I have a feeling (see below) that the answer is the not favorable option.

The first thing the formula does on the FAQs is subtract the nights rolled over from previous year.  Your comment states that I can use my 2015 4 rollover ("4 +6") to get me to maintain Silver.  Using your numbers in your example, I would see it as I have a balance of 20 (4 from 2015 + 16 earned in 2016) less the 4 from 2015 [kinda circular, I know] less the 10 (earned in 2016) to maintain Silver - resulting in 6 rolled over, as opposed to you saying 10. 

My original question is about something a little different.  I will use me (assume we agree 6 rolled over to 2017 after deducted 2015 nights and 10 needed to maintain Silver.)

A.  Brand new person joins 1/1 and is a nobody. They stay 10 nights in January and now are Silver and need additional 40 nights to reach Gold.(50 for gold but they are already 10 in the books)

B.  I start 1/1 as a Silver and I have rollover.  Ignore the rollover.  Do I only need 40 to get to Gold (i.e Faith and assumption that since I am silver I have 10 credit) OR do I actually need 50 to get to gold (no base nights considered already embedded in the Silver, only what I carried over).  I am aware that I have a head start w/ my 6 rollover.  But, do I need 40 or 50 to get gold?

My assumption is that I need 50 - but I don't think this is discussed explicitly anywhere.  If so, if I think I have a good chance for Platinum in 2017 I think I'd rather end 2016 Silver at 49 nights than to achieve Gold (ex. choice A. end 2016 and start 2017 as Gold w/ 0 carryover versus B. Start 2017 at silver but w/ about 29 nights ...and add cc 15 and Q1 travel to quickly get to Gold and then Platinum -  thus, after reducing for Silver and prior-year rollover, I'd be closer to getting gold...and Platinum in Q1 2017.)

[w/out muddying the waters too much ....I have another thought - w/ Q4 travel plans that won't get me to gold, challenge for gold and see if I can get the 6 stays.  then, i'll end year on gold.  BUT, I have no idea how this would affect carryover....and thus 2017 gold/platinum]

I think the carryover is provided as a benefit (as opposed to starting each year at 0 no matter what).  I appreciate that.  And I guess it is hard for computer systems to address all scenarios.  I just want to understand how it currently works due to curiosity.

I again want to say I have learned a lot from you guys.  Thanks.

YogiB Platinum

Hoosteve wrote:

The first thing the formula does on the FAQs is subtract the nights rolled over from previous year.  Your comment states that I can use my 2015 4 rollover ("4 +6") to get me to maintain Silver.  Using your numbers in your example, I would see it as I have a balance of 20 (4 from 2015 + 16 earned in 2016) less the 4 from 2015 [kinda circular, I know] less the 10 (earned in 2016) to maintain Silver - resulting in 6 rolled over, as opposed to you saying 10.

Sorry, my bad. Indeed, only 6 will rollover to 2017.

Hoosteve wrote:

My original question is about something a little different.  I will use me (assume we agree 6 rolled over to 2017 after deducted 2015 nights and 10 needed to maintain Silver.)

A.  Brand new person joins 1/1 and is a nobody. They stay 10 nights in January and now are Silver and need additional 40 nights to reach Gold.(50 for gold but they are already 10 in the books)

B.  I start 1/1 as a Silver and I have rollover.  Ignore the rollover.  Do I only need 40 to get to Gold (i.e Faith and assumption that since I am silver I have 10 credit) OR do I actually need 50 to get to gold (no base nights considered already embedded in the Silver, only what I carried over).  I am aware that I have a head start w/ my 6 rollover.  But, do I need 40 or 50 to get gold?

My assumption is that I need 50 - but I don't think this is discussed explicitly anywhere.  If so, if I think I have a good chance for Platinum in 2017 I think I'd rather end 2016 Silver at 49 nights than to achieve Gold (ex. choice A. end 2016 and start 2017 as Gold w/ 0 carryover versus B. Start 2017 at silver but w/ about 29 nights ...and add cc 15 and Q1 travel to quickly get to Gold and then Platinum -  thus, after reducing for Silver and prior-year rollover, I'd be closer to getting gold...and Platinum in Q1 2017.)

You actually will have received the "advantage" of already enjoying Silver status with all its perks before the 10 nights will actually be deducted on 1/1. Usually this only happens the second part of the year, but not sure how MR handles this. So from the completion of your 10 nights at the end of 2016, you'll be awarded Silver and can keep that until January ~ February 2018. The 10 nights will only be deducted on 1/1. From there, you'll need to start from the beginning, so you'll need 50 nights (your rollover nights will get you on your way) if you want to achieve Gold Elite status. No difference between you and the newbie.

Hoosteve wrote:

[w/out muddying the waters too much ....I have another thought - w/ Q4 travel plans that won't get me to gold, challenge for gold and see if I can get the 6 stays.  then, i'll end year on gold.  BUT, I have no idea how this would affect carryover....and thus 2017 gold/platinum]

I don't know how rollover works in the "challange" scenario. I assume the system will deduct 50 nights nonetheless, but you can't get below 0 nights. But carat or one of the other CMs would be better to answer this one.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Maybe this thread will help. How to Calculate Rollover Nights

As for the challenge question. If you reach Gold (by challenge or by hitting 50 nights), you will only rollover nights in excess of 50 (after already subtracting any rollover nights from last year).

Hopefully, you've got it figured out now. If you have any more questions, let us know. Someone is almost sure to know the answer.

Platinum

Very helpful - thanks for pointing us to that link bejacob ! A lot of my younger friends that are new to MR ask me about that, and since I'm a LTP, I really haven't looked into it for years and wanted a good source.

izmesma Gold

My Dear Elite members!

English language is not my native..... Could you please explain in simple words- if I achieved Gold status in 2016 with 51 nights- do I get Gold status in 2017 with one night rollover?

Hi izmesma.  If you complete 51 nights in 2016, you will maintain Gold Status through 2017.  You will also "rollover" 1 night into 2017. 

Hoosteve Gold

I agree w/ @carat ASSUMING you did not rollover ay nights from 2015.  IF you did rollover, you will still be Gold for 2017, but with no rollover from 2016 to 2017.

solkua Platinum 1 Reviews

Looks like Marriott's big server took the night off last night and hasn't done the carryover math yet. It did make sure you reflect 0 in your account though.

Rollover nights can be a little tricky, HoosteveYogiB & psudad have pointed you in the right direction, thanks Insiders!! I'd like to just add on to what they have said. Since you've mentioned you have the credit card, you will receive 15 Elite Night Credits each year, automatically giving you Silver Elite Status each year.  So, if you had 16 rollover nights after your 2015 nights had been deducted, you would actually end up with 31 Nights in 2017, putting you much closer to Gold.  And, as psudad mentioned, you can capitalize on the Elite Nights earned using the Credit Card.

mustanggt Platinum

If you go to the FAQs page and read the example given under "How to determine rollover nights" it will tell you exactly how to calculate your rollover credit, if any.  The example is pretty clear and concise.  If you have any remaining questions, you can always call the MR customer service folks and they will be happy to perform the calculation for you.

702rugbyref Platinum

Mine FINALLY reset on Friday...started off the year with 58 roll-over nights.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Mine rolled over in early Jan.

kathynfmom Gold 3 Reviews

Ok so I have a question about this. Where can I actually see where they are? I know I had 50 nights last year. I have only had 1 stay this year and 1 more coming in April and most likely more in the summer. I do hold the Marriott rewards visa but it only says I have 1 night this year??

peymanagement Platinum

kathynfmom, if you had 50 nights from last year you made gold on the number so would not have any carry over nights. So if you have only stayed one night, then your credit should be 1. Your visa credits on it anniversary date from when you first got it, (mine is in May and it always shows up about statement day in May).

mustanggt Platinum

When you are on your home page, click on the word "nights" and it will bring up a breakdown of your earned and rollover nights from all sources.  If you have questions regarding the exact calculation of your rollover nights, it is best to call Marriott Rewards customer service and they will be able to step you through the calculation of your rollover nights and how it works.

birdoinboston Gold

Missed Plat by 3 nights last year, but have received 0 rollover nights.

Anyone know who to email to resolve...? Stayed 73 nights (between stays and CC nights...) so thinking I should have 23 rollover nights...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...