3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2016 9:45 AM by r2r2b RSS

Marco Island Marriott

r2r2b Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Marco Island Marriott MarriotDefinitely not ready to be a JW nor do they care if you have Platinum status.  Stayed for three nights last week with my family and we were ready to go home by the morning after the third night.  At check in, I was told could not have late check out I place on mobile app because another rewards member was checking in...funny given there are 600 plus rooms in this hotel that every room had platinum guest that night, LOL.  On the second evening of our stay asked if we could see what an oceanfront room was like and amazingly there was one empty for us to look at. Upgraded room looked directly over the lobby building at the ongoing construction, which happened to be at the same level as our room so no way to leave curtains open.  I had request extra towels in my reservation for the room since it was my wife and our son but at check in there were only two towels even though I had a voice mail on the room phone saying they had noted our request.  The next two days we had no wash cloths.  The cable in the room has not kid channels so if it rains in the afternoon, which it often does in the summer, make sure you have your own entertainment for your kids.  The pool towels are a joke in that you get cards that provide for two towels, no more until you turn in the ones you already have and if you do not return a card there is a $25 charge.  Real reason is they do not want to manage pool deck area so they fence in the pools and make the guest clean up the towels.  There is also not enough seating at the pool and the water slide is all of about 8 ft high so other than a preschooler not of interest to kids.  As for the resort fee do not fall for the one free adult breakfast when one is purchased, as they apply a 18% service charge on the total for the two adult buffets...given it is a buffet the wait staff is basically bussing the table so 18% is generous.

Bottom line will not be back and would recommend elite level members look elsewhere if they want to be treat accordingly.  I have stayed in Ritz Carltons on points during their high season and be treated 100 times better.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Marco Island, Florida, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Marco Island Marriott Beach Resort, Golf Club & Spa
  • Re: Marco Island Marriott
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

So sorry to hear of your frustrating stay, r2r2b! I'd like to bring your comments to the appropriate teams attention and have sent you a private message for additional details.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

natural_log Platinum

Sorry to hear about your experience.  I just finished up a 6 night stay and it was much better than yours seemed to be.  They upgraded me to a room with a nicer view (not ocean front but a high floor overlooking the Tiki pool and the gulf without the construction in view).

I am not sure why they bother with the towel cards.  The attendants are pretty relaxed about them and we always seem to end up with extras to turn in at the end of our trips.  I was also surprised about the lack of seating you found at the pool.  Maybe its the time of year that factors in.  One day we went to the pool at about 12:30 pm and still found some chairs under an umbrella.  Moving the restaurant to the other side of the Tiki pool made room for a lot more seating than there used to be and Quinn's pool always had plenty of spots (also in the shade if desired).

Thanks for letting me know about the breakfast charges.  Based on your input, we skipped it.  I agree (as do most) that the resort fees are highly annoying.   The current offer at the hotel, however, includes a $50 resort credit per day so I view it as canceling it out (though still annoying).

My kids (10 and 12) still enjoyed the water slide but not as much as in previous years.  There is a small waterpark in Naples (Sun and Fun) that is pretty cheap so we just went there for a half day and it was great.

I wouldn't give up on the Marco Marriott.  They have always treated me great so maybe you just caught them on a bad day.

r2r2b Platinum

Glad to hear you had a great stay.  Based on your write up sounds like you have been there before.  Based on my experience with other locations where I have been to the location several times, it appears that not just your level of business with Marriott but also with individual hotels within the Marriott family (if you are a repeat visitor to a hotel) greatly influences how you are treated.

Doubt I will visit again anytime soon as there are other locations where I have been treated far better on several occasions at the location. Besides,  I am too old not to make sure my vacations are 10s.

I will say Marco Island is a very nice.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...