94 Replies Latest reply: Aug 4, 2016 3:15 AM by insertcoffee RSS

Property Extends Benefits to Family Members following a Member Request, Right or Wrong?

BigBrainsOnBrad Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Okay, it seems like we have yet another slippery slope.  In the spirit of Customer Service, a property extends Marriott Reward(MR) Benefits to family members following a request by the Member.  Is the an example of excellent Customer Service or a member's violation of the Terms and Conditions of the MR Program, membership fraud or a Marriott Employee's willful disregard for a condition which is in conflict with the "Right Thing to Do" Customer Service?

Members and Moderators alike, I'm very interested in your feedback

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Property Extends Benefits to Family Members following a Member Request, Right or Wrong?
    cteter Platinum

I would like to see them allow this once or twice a year for immediate family even if the member is not present.  My wife and daughter usually take a trip without me because of work and think this would be a nice perk for higher tier members. As silly as it sounds it makes them feel like they are getting something from my time away from home spent in Marriott hotels.  Not looking for an unlimited perk but once or twice a year would make them feel special and build brand loyalty beyond the primary member.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Property Extends Benefits to Family Members following a Member Request, Right or Wrong?
    Platinum

I'd say they always do extend to my family, but it depends how you make the reservation and frankly how you speak to them. Lawyers are not running the Marriott's front desks, but if they were, I'd either want better written policies, or just wouldn't stay there

BigBrainsOnBrad Platinum

r u trying to play on my nut allergy

BigBrainsOnBrad Platinum

Marriott Insider Moderators, please reply.  I'm curious to understand the rationale as to why a property can open Pandora's Box while at the same time setting themselves up for a MAJOR Service Failure if the same scenario is presented in the future and they elect to deny extending the benefits.   

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Kind of seems like you're trying to say that they shouldn't give you the extra benefit to begin with.

BigBrainsOnBrad Platinum

failure to manage the expectations of the customer is one of the greatest failures in the Service Industry.  So, long story short, that's exactly what I'm suggesting

that's true. But did the property do anything to make you believe that the one time benefit they granted you would be standard?

If I walk down the street and see someone playing guitar on the sidewalk and toss in $10 because I'm feeling great today does that somehow obligate me to toss in $10 every time I walk by? Should he be angry if I don't?

The property gave you an unearned benefit. Be thankful for that rather than bitter because they don't give it to you continuously.

As an FYI since you asked others, I am lifetime Platinum with several thousand actual BiB nights.

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.
              bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

You've clearly stated your position. Virtually everyone who has commented has said variations of the same thing.

How many people have to tell you that they disagree with you on this issue?

How many long-time Marriott Rewards members will you mock or insult when they don't adhere to your vision?

In your original post, you state "I am interested in your feedback." I'm beginning to doubt the sincerity of those words. It's clear you feel you've been wronged. It's just as clear that most of the responses indicate others don't agree with you. At this point, perhaps it's best to agree to disagree.

The idea the the program should be modified to include spouses actually makes sense. The fact that it doesn't currently work that way suggests to me that it might be time to let this issue drop. That's just my 2 cents.

"I believe the extension of goodwill, generosity, benefit, etc. by the property comes with it's own expectation."

You may be the only one who believes that. I certainly don't.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Multiposting on the same issue?

Need more popcorn...

seatexan Platinum

Considering the rules, the right thing to do would be to not extend benefits.  The courteous thing to do, would be to extend them. 

I think it is a nice courtesy extended (due to the ToS), but one that should not be expected.  Just b/c a hotel allows it once, doesn't mean they have to allow it twice. *insert some quote about expectations and disappointments*.  I would not call it a service failure at all considering they are not required to "serve" the benefits to anyone but the individual rewards member.  I think this rule is in place for a good reason, as I could see this getting abused.  Hmmm where is that over crowded CL lounge thread??

You are probably better off not even asking, but hoping for the best.  Then when the courtesy is extended to the person you booked the room for, it can truly be appreciated.

It is the responsibility of each member to read the rules and understand them. Being on MR Insiders is a great way to get clarification on these rules.  I don't think it sets up false expectation when one reads and understands the ToS.

BigBrainsOnBrad Platinum

Tarheel @ heart......I agree with your response 100%.  Would you agree that once one opens Pandora's Box, it's very difficult to shut it?  My level of expectation is nil unless I'm the guest, but it doesn't discount the fact that if Marriott makes the rules and Marriott (or affiliates) break the rules, am I in the wrong for merely making the request?  I'm a big boy with big brains and I can accept "no", but don't give me a song, a dance, and a kiss on the cheek; and then not ask me out........

seatexan Platinum

I don't think it is wrong to request extending benefits, not at all.

But when the manager says, "No sir, (or no mam), we cannot do that."  That should have been the end, other than thanking them for their time.

Of course none of us will ever know the exact dialogue here.  It would be so strange if you asked and immediately the manger jumped all over you about it and insulted you.

I don't see this as Pandora's box at all.

The general consensus seems to be that 's okay for a property to extend unearned benefits, but that doing so once does not require them to do so again. Most everyone is saying some variation of that. You seem to want us to say something different. Perhaps you should just tell us what our collective opinion should be so we could save time.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Well said bejacob!

BigBrainsOnBrad Platinum

Bejacob, it seems like a few of your comments hit the board and disappear.....maybe b/c they're in violation of the board Ts&Cs; nonetheless, I'm gonna give you a shout out.  In your professional opinion as a Gov't Man (former or present) and accountant, what are your thoughts on those members who unjustly enrich themselves when their employer(s) pay the bill?  Just curious, b/c I'm pretty confident that's a direct violation of the MR Program Terms and Conditions.

The Guy With Big Blue Brains

Ok, I'l bite, but I'm not sure I understand the question. Please explain what you mean "members who unjustly enrich themselves when their employer(s) pay the bill."

If it's about earning MR rewards on business travel that is then used for personal travel, I'm sure that is up to the individual employers. For the Federal Government, I refer you to the GSA regulations on travel. §301-53.3 states "You may use frequent traveler benefits earned on official travel to obtain travel services for a subsequent official travel assignment(s); however, you may also retain such benefits for your personal use, including upgrading to a higher class of service while on official travel."

So either using for future official travel or personal use is fine.

Platinum

How are the unjustly enriching themselves? It's fine to be on gov't per diem  nor when useing employers cc and earn points, etc? Please be specific BigBrainsOnBrad

BigBrainsOnBrad Platinum

@dansplan I believe we're about to hit another slippery slope by which Marriott states

"If the Member attends a convention or group meeting and individually pays

the hotel directly for the room, he/she will be eligible to receive Points and

elite night credits for the stay.

However, contract rooms, rooms reserved by

corporations on an ongoing basis and master-billed rooms are not eligible to

earn points or elite night credit. Military rates at certain overseas locations

are subject to local restrictions and may be ineligible for points or elite night

credit.

Now, I'm pretty confident that all Government employees (Mil/Non-Mil) alike are under a Contract Rate.  In turn, I'd venture to guess that most corporations have similarly negotiated contract rates with our beloved service provider.  Now, I'm not crying abuse, membership fraud or anything of the sort........Just Saying

bobblehead Platinum

have enjoyed the topic BBoB,  I saw comments that the AC brand absolutely does not extend benefits and I will add the Ritz to that category.

I am a PE for life a few times over and don't think it unreasonable to expect that if my Wife goes off for a shopping weekend somewhere without me that she is extended the same benefits.

The Ritz's (except downtown Atlanta)  have been downright condescending when she tries to check in using points and I am not with her to the point where we just don't stay there anymore. The JW's and Marriott's (except Chicago) have extended concierge benefits where available when she is traveling without and all the other properties have allowed early/late checkout and room type preferences.

I have been happy overall with the program but would like to see the spouse codified in to the benefits or allow you to add a spouse to the profile page.

bobblehead Platinum

have enjoyed the topic BBoB,  I saw comments that the AC brand absolutely does not extend benefits and I will add the Ritz to that category.

I am a PE for life a few times over and don't think it unreasonable to expect that if my Wife goes off for a shopping weekend somewhere without me that she is extended the same benefits.

The Ritz's (except downtown Atlanta)  have been downright condescending when she tries to check in using points and I am not with her to the point where we just don't stay there anymore. The JW's and Marriott's (except Chicago) have extended concierge benefits where available when she is traveling without and all the other properties have allowed early/late checkout and room type preferences.

I have been happy overall with the program but would like to see the spouse codified in to the benefits or allow you to add a spouse to the profile page.

bobblehead Platinum

bobblehead Platinum

bobblehead Platinum