5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2016 6:49 AM by brightlybob RSS

Lyon, France - September Rewards Stay Not Possible

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Just checked staying at the Marriott  in Lyon, France for 5 nights in September beginning Sept 16.  Looking at the availability calendar there are only 5 dates available during the entire month of September where check in for 5 nights is available.  However, there are a ton of rooms available for cash during my stay.

What happened to "NO BLACK OUT DATES" ???????

Impossible to believe, this is complete fraud!

Same thing happened to me when they upped the points and rewards categories a number of years ago.... the reason for my screen name.

NathalieF  andrew AndrewT

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Lyon, France - September Rewards Stay Not Possible
    Platinum

newhiltonmembr I feel for your situation, and I would be upset too! Contact customer care or the elite line. The CM's may be able to help, but it's been brought to our attention, and lately in stronger words, that this is far from the main function of this MRI site or the CM's. I'll still add this - carat can you chime in or possibly have newhiltonmembr send you a Direct Message about this?  Best of luck solving this ASAP. Let us know what happens please.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks, dansplan.

Why would this not be a main function of this site?  This is a forum to discuss all MRI issues and such issues have been discussed for many years.

Thanks very much for your input.

Platinum

I couldn't agree more - but it's been pointed out by bejacob and others that it's right in the terms and conditions of the site, it states this is not really a help center or place to escalate issues. None of the CM's have jumped into to correct that, but that said, many of them do help one-on-one, which is why I'd DM one of them if contacting customer care or elite line doesn't work. Feel free to DM me as well. I'm heading to bed for now, but I'm up at all sorts of crazy hours lately, so I'll reply by tomorrow morning at the latest.

Thanks dansplan.

I will book another hotel in Lyon using my points with that property.  I am tired of fighting with Marriott over this issue time and again.  That other hotel truly has NO blackout dates and is, as always, available for my dates.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Slippery wording is the cause of your problem.

There's no blackout dates policies and, well, erm, no blackout dates policies.

At Hilton and SPG the words No Blackout Dates mean that all standard rooms are available every day throughout the year. Only when the last standard room is sold will there be no redemption availability. You may still see rooms available to buy but these will be non-standard (ie corner, concierge, Exec, suites etc).

At Marriott and IHG however the words No Blackout Dates mean something more restrictive. At Marriott No Blackout Dates mean that every hotel must offer their entire standard room inventory for redemption other than on dates for which they obtain special permission from corporate. On those dates the hotel must still offer redemption rooms, but a far  smaller number. Once that minimum number is reached for the date no more need be offered. At IHG the rule is even more restrictive meaning each hotel must offer a minimum number of standard rooms for redemption every day throughout the year. Once those are redeemed the property has no obligation to offer more. So as you can see with these 2 there will be properties where redemptions are not offered but standard rooms are still available for cash.

Note therefore that all 4 of the big boys offer a no blackout dates scheme which does indeed mean they offer redemptions for every hotel on every date. But true "last standard room availability" is only offered at Hilton and SPG.

It will be interesting to see what version of no blackout dates applies to the combined Marriott/SPG scheme in 2018...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...