15 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2016 5:07 PM by iaskquestions RSS

Differences

iaskquestions Member
Currently Being Moderated

I'm confused..

Hello everyone, So I'm staying at Newark airport for one night and there are three Marriott's I'm interested in..

I'm a bit confused on which one I should stay in, All three are in reach of my price point and we are staying there with two adults and two kids. I personally am just looking for which one is the best out of all three of them. Our flight lands at night time (Around 10 PM) and we just are staying a couple of hours 'til the AM and eating breakfast.. It's going to be a easy in and out..

SOLVED - I will just go to the Marriott airport hotel which is the closest one and than on the way back.. Go to the Ren hotel hopefully.. I may switch it up and stay at the Ren and the Marriott on the way back.. Just depends on who has the room we want for a good price

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Differences
    iaskquestions Member

Bump

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Platinum

iaskquestions -  Go for the Newark Liberty Int'l -  it's so close you'll almost walk there, and after a long flight, it's nice to be that close. Everything else about this property is good too from my 3 recent stays.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

iaskquestions, no question - go with the Marriott at the airport

• what the web page doesn't say is that you can walk to the hotel from the terminal - even with luggage - you just cross the parking lot and lift your bag over a 2-foot rail - there is rarely any traffic on the wide road that separates the hotel from the parking lot; take a look at the map (and zoom in)...
    • yes, yes, you can use the shuttle if you want, but it's a waste of time... one of the most convenient airport hotels you'll find anywhere...
    • nice perks for Platinum (if you're Platinum)
    • relatively recently renovated - interesting rooms

* I normally choose Renaissance over Marriott, but this one isn't a fair contest.

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

ssindc is spot on. The Marriott is really the closest and you don't need a shuttle, its a short walk and has a nice lounge. I also love then Renaissance, but it is a shuttle ride away, the lounge is great and the team there is fantastic. The Fairfield in is also a shuttle away, but the suite rooms are large and have a separate sofa that converts to a bed, with 2 TV's, a small fridge and microwave and a decent breakfast.

If you have two kids and don't mind the shuttle ride, then I would go with the Fairfield, simply because of the suites feature and more room. You don't say how old your children are, but if they are young enough the sofa bed will be easy for them. And the breakfast there has a waffle maker (always a hit with my kids who are 14 and 11).

I will be staying at the Fairfield in a few weeks as we arrive from Orlando late one evening then fly onto the west coast the next day and I have stayed at each of these properties so often my family deferred to me on where to stay. Since we are 4, and have a teen and tween, the extra room made the decision easier (along with waffles).

At the Marriott and renaissance, you can get a rollaway, but I think they only allow one per room (fire code), so that could be an issue if there are four of you. I seem to recall that the Renaissance has some rooms with a convertible sofa bed in the room, so I would check that out, even call the hotel to see what they have to offer.

Good luck and safe travels

iaskquestions Member

I don't have any status as I just signed up for Marriott rewards yesterday, But I heard Fairfield is the lowest tier in the Marriott hotel system.. Is the Renaissance better and more up than the Marriott hotel? I don't care much about the walk as I'm okay taking the extra steps to get to a nicer hotel. We're only getting a 2 Double bed room or 2 queen room, We may add a couch for 50 bucks.. And we had a typo.. We actually have 3 adults and one kid... But one of the adults is pretty much similar to a kid, He's still in Freshmen college..

(It's only for a couple of hours also as we get there late..)

Message was edited by: Iaskquestions

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

I will say that the beds at the renaissance and Marriott are better, (at least the king, and I assume to double as well). The Fairfield bed isn't as good, as it is a lower quality chain in the family. The pillows at the Ren and Marriott are available as feather or foam, whereas at the Fairfield are foam only. The toiletries at the two hotels are better than those at the Fairfield.

So, its up to you and the comfort factor may be the biggest difference. If you don't mind the extra $50 for the better hotel, then go for it, but if you don't have gold or platinum status there is no free breakfast, whereas at the Fairfield, it is included.

Its really the old adage, you get what you pay for. There is a reason, for example, that Oreo's taste better than the generic "equivalent." Its still 2 chocolate cookie with the cream center, but to some of us, there is a taste and quality difference. Same for Marriott's.

Hope that helps

iaskquestions Member

Is there any difference besides price from the marriott and the ren?

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Generally speaking Ren is about the same quality and price as Marriott FS, but there are exceptions.  On the whole, I likeRen, just a bit more than Marriott, but there are many exceptions.

iaskquestions Member

What are some of the exceptions?

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Well, iaskquestions, you've asked a very broad question.

Here's a diverse data dump answer to your question, with lots of additional information and insights:  Which Marriott brand do you frequent the most?  [If you have not figured it out yet, the site is a treasure trove of good information, but if you can find it!!!]

As I indicated initially (above), my family chooses Renaissance whenever possible - both domestic and abroad, because we like the properties, and they have been very (very) good to us.  Having said that, I think it would be difficult to empirically prove that Renaissance is any better or worse than the full service (FS) Marriott line.

BE FOREWARNED: much of the information on this site is colored by user status.  In other words, many of us react positively to brands that treat platinums well and offer special services or perks (like lounge access, upgrades, breakfast, snacks, drinks, etc.)  Conversely, you will find that many heavy users on this site resent and/or avoid, for example, (1) Courtyard, because it does not offer free breakfast to platinums, and/or (2) Residence Inn, which offers only 1/2 as many points per dollar when compared to the rest of the enterprise.  One might assert that these features don't necessarily make a hotel chain better or worse, but they do impact the travel habits of Marriott's best and most committed long-term customers.

iaskquestions Member

Forget it! It's to hard to choose, We'll just go to the Marriott airport hotel and on the way back home..we shall hopefully go to the Ren.. (Or the other way around.. that would be dictated by who has the room we want..)

iaskquestions Member

Thank You, many people are saying the Marriott and the Ren are good choices, Thanks for everything guys!

P.S. Sorry for the bolding, My iPad was glitched..

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Have stayed many times at full service Marroitt and it always worked well

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great insight here!!  Thanks jerryl, stelzer001, ssindc & dansplan!!  I'd also like to welcome you to the forum, iaskquestions!  As you can see this is a great spot to come find out Insider information on the Marriott Rewards program and the various Marriott properties! Looking forward to hearing more for you.  Be sure to let us know which hotel you end up choosing.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

If you have an early departure requirement, check, in advace, to find out the breakfast hours of the three hotels.  One might start serving early enough for you and 1 might not!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...