13 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2016 10:49 PM by natural_log RSS

Do I want Platinum?

natural_log Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hi.  I hope I can get some good advise from you smart folks.

Right now I am at the Gold level but I may have a chance to earn enough nights to make Platinum this year.  The problem is that I may not want Platinum.  If I stay at Gold, then I will have a bunch of roll-over night to carry out into next year and should easily earn Gold again.  However, if I earn Platinum this year, I will not have many roll over nights and will like not have enough next year for Gold. 

Thus I would rather have Gold-Gold then Platinum-Silver.  Does this make sense?  If you are Platinum one year, do you simply drop to Gold to following year independent of the number of nights?

Thanks in advance to any clarity you folks can provide

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Grapevine, Texas, USA Gaylord Hotels Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
  • Re: Do I want Platinum?
    nationwide Platinum

natural_log - you have hit the nail on the head in your post.  You would only go down one level, so you are looking at Platinum to Gold if that's how the following year plays out for you.  Of course with buy-back (they will give you a chance to keep platinum for X amount of points - I've seen it at 40k) and/or an opportunity to add 15 nights to your total just by carrying the Marriott Rewards Premier credit card, you can probably make it again.  Hope this helps you make the decision - go for platinum - there are creative ways to keep it.  And, worst case scenario, you are gold again in 2018.  Welcome to Insiders - stick around awhile, you can learn  a lot from your fellow members. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
    Grapevine, Texas, USA Gaylord Hotels Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center
      phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

In most cases, taking Platinum makes the most sense.  You get extra points, United Silver Elite status, a better shot at upgrades, and as  nationwide points out you still get Gold, the following year, even if you don't have the nights for it.

natural_log Platinum

Thanks for the info and the welcome.  I have been lurking for a while and already learned a bunch (got my birthday night recently) and probably could have searched a bit more to find this answer.

I already use the Chase MR as a large part of my Marriott points strategy and I agree, if Marriott is your game, then the Chase MR is a valuable tool.

Thanks again

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

Hi natural_log and welcome.

Go for the Platinum!  You would not go down to Silver the next year, as Rewards only reduces by one tier if you do not stay enough nights to retain your current standing.  So it could only reduce from Platinum to Gold, no matter how few nights you stay.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Welcome to Insiders natural_log,

Both good answers from these guys, but there may be a few more reasons to obtain Platinum which may appeal to you as well.

• Platinum will have a better chance for room upgrades
    • Platinum bonus points are 50% rather than Gold at 25%
    • Platinum arrival gift
    • 48 Hour room guarantee
    • Priority Late check-out up to 4 PM at participating properties which Platinum is more likely to be given

There are more benefits as well and some of those I refer to above do not always work out.  If you travel internationally the arrival gift is more likely to include an offering of snack and wine or other beverage although there are still some hotels in the U.S. that will offer you the food over the $10 certificate or points.

There are certainly pros and cons to both however, reaching Platinum this year will keep you at that level all next year and until Feb. 1, 2018, so go for it.

mustanggt Platinum

The additional bonus points you get as a Platinum member are worth their weight in gold...um platinum!

Platinum

Agree on all points with IAHFLYR  It can be tough in years that travel is down, but Plat can and often does get me a lot of additional perks as well. The trick is to be nice and not try to throw your status around like it's something rare - it is not.

natural_log Platinum

No need to worry about me throwing status around.  I realize that it's not that rare.  Along those lines, I was trying to figure out what the probability that a given room is occupied by a PE member.  I would think its pretty high (maybe 50%).  It my not be there are many of them but they travel 20-25 times more than a non MR member.

Does anyone have any clue?

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

These fine Insiders are spot on!!  Thanks for the great insight, IAHFLYR, Tommo781 & nationwide!! 

I'd also like to add a little tidbit you may want to keep in your back pocket.  We offer Status Challenges as well that invite our members to earn the next level status and keep it for an extended period of time.  For more information about these challenge, check out the following thread: Status Challenges: What are they and how do I enroll?

Welcome to the forum natural_log!! Looking forward to hearing more from you.

natural_log Platinum

Thank you to you and others for the nice welcome.  I tried not to have my first post be a complaint.

I didn't know that you only can bump down 1 level per year so that, couple with how the roll-over nights work, means that getting PE is the best path forward.  Hopefully I will have lifetime Gold within a year or two (although right now it seems I need 1.6M more points but that's a topic for another thread)

Platinum

Keep this in mind and it may cheer you up - there are always opportunities to get points through means other than staying at a property. The nights are the ones that are tougher to get in the long run. At least from my perspective and I'm LTP and PP

natural_log Platinum

Right now it's points I need for LTG.  For LTP it will be a race between points and nights.  Of course since my LT points balance is currently at zero maybe I should start working on points.

Either way, thanks for your and others help.

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

Live for the day go for platinum you may not make it to 2018 lol

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...