2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2016 7:42 PM by nismoztuner RSS

Booking direct vs Expedia Vs Vacation by Marriott

nismoztuner Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

**I have the Ritz Carlton Visa Card**

So im planing on taking my GF to San Juan, PR for our 1 year together and wanted to stay at Ritz Carlton or La concha but made up my mind to stay with Ritz (better customer service)... I also wanted to get club level at the Ritz Carlton but according to a CSA the dates i picked are already filled..The first rep when i called wasnt being helpful and kept telling me that i am not able to use the upgrade certificates in San Juan. Then hours later (felt bugged) i called again and the new rep told me that i can use them in san juan but not the reserve destination. but either way all club level spots were taken for my dates.

My booking options:

Booking Direct

Ritz $2,219.72

Airline $ 1,043.60

Total - $3263.32

Pros- get Marriott points and nights

Cons- too expensive compared to Expedia and even Vacations by Marriott

---

Booking with Expedia

Airline and hotel (ritz)

Total $2632.53

Pro- Save $630 vs booking direct , Super cheap compared to Marriott and Vacations by Marriott

Con- no credit for nights nor much points.. but will get some points with my Ritz Card

-----

Booking with Vacations by Marriott

Ritz and airline

Total- 2890.15

Pros- Save $373.17 vs booking separately, $5,000 booking points (nothing more)

cons- Expedia is cheaper

I wouldnt have cared about booking direct but the not being able to upgrade for club level is keeping me away from booking directly with marriott

What do you guys suggest?

• Re: Booking direct vs Expedia Vs Vacation by Marriott
    YogiB Platinum

For the flight: you can book anywhere you want and still get frequent flyer points at the airline.

For the hotel: look into the lowest price guarantee at Marriott and see how you can get the best price.

https://www.marriott.com/online-hotel-booking.mi#bestrate

OUR BEST RATE. GUARANTEED.

There are few guarantees in life. But our Look No Further® Best Rate Guarantee is one of the best. It assures that you’ll always get the best rate available when you book directly with Marriott®. Here’s how it works:

• Book a Marriott room using any Marriott reservation channel (Marriott.com, Marriott Hotel Telephone Reservations, or directly at a hotel).
    • If within 24 hours of making your reservation, you find a lower hotel rate for the same hotel, room type and reservation dates, and submit a qualified guarantee form, we’ll match the rate + give you an extra 25% discount on the room.

(The Best Rate Guarantee does not apply to Delta Hotels, Protea Hotels®, Ritz-Carlton Montreal, The Ritz London, Hotel Ritz Madrid, and Ritz-Carlton Residences®.)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Booking direct vs Expedia Vs Vacation by Marriott
      nismoztuner Platinum

thanks for your reply,

i have been looking around and only came across one site that had a bit of a price difference with taxes.. about 5 cents difference

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...