2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2016 1:06 PM by svalley RSS

Grossly mismanaged burn incident at JW Marriott, Washington DC

svalley Member
Currently Being Moderated

I was a guest at JW Marriott Washington DC who suffered severe burn injuries from scalding hot water as a result of using an already broken coffee maker at the JW Marriott Washington DC. The safety and well-being of guests is paramount and a basic premise in the hospitality industry, and it was severely compromised by poor quality controls that led to the presence of a broken coffee maker in the room.

To make things worse, we faced extreme insensitivity, arrogance and gender/race discrimination when we tried to follow up with the management team (Mr. Eric Pitts). Not only did Mr. Pitts show his insensitivity, but also failed to guide us through the claims process. He did not apologize and underplayed the situation stating the burn may not leave permanent scars and so is acceptable. I was in extreme pain, and was incapacitated for two days.

I would have taken any help from an on-call doctor/nurse on the property, which again, was not offered to me.

I reached out to customer care and registered a formal complaint, only after which I finally received an apology email from Mr. Pitts.

I am appalled by the way a serious situation as this was handled. The poor quality control, followed by extreme arrogance and lack of empathy from management turned our vacation into a nightmare!!

Please avoid this hotel if you care about the safety of your loved ones!

burn-lefthand.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Grossly mismanaged burn incident at JW Marriott, Washington DC
    deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

svalley,

I am so sorry to hear that you had this experience. I'd like to have our team take another look at this for you.

Can you please send me a private message with either your Reservation number or the date of your stay at this hotel? Also, I see that you used your Rewards number as your username, so provide a username you'd like me to change it to as your MR number should remain private.

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Grossly mismanaged burn incident at JW Marriott, Washington DC
    svalley Member

I would like to make it loud and clear that the hotel management, customer care and claims department have all failed miserably at taking ownership and providing a timely resolution.

I have suffered second degree burns on a very visible area of my hand and it is due to a broken coffee maker at the hotel room. The claims department told me yesterday that they cannot investigate the broken machine since it is in a room that is occupied by a guest. I am shocked that the broken coffee maker that caused severe second degree burns was not decommissioned and investigated right away. In addition it highlights extreme negligence and disregard for guest safety. Are they waiting for another guest to get harmed?

Please avoid this hotel like a plague. Poor quality standards, highly insensitive and discriminatory staff and extreme inefficiency from customer care and an attempt by claims and management to cover up the issue. Thankfully I have pictures to support my case.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...