9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 23, 2016 12:58 PM by pingreeman RSS

Seen this?  Prepay/Nonrefundable ... With Points????

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

OK, this is new to me.   I just checked some dates for a points stay at a popular (category 8) Marriott property - the Monterey Marriott.  Among other options was this:

Marriott Rewards Redemption, prepay in full, non-refundable if cancelled more than 1 day after booking

Then, under rate details, it says:

Cancelling Your Reservation

• You may cancel your reservation for no charge until July 21, 2016.
    • Please note that we will assess a fee of 336.04 USD if you must cancel after this deadline.If you have made a prepayment, we will retain all or part of your prepayment. If not, we will charge your credit card.This fee equals your room charge plus tax for all the nights of your reservation.

[Emphasis added.  Note: $336 looks like a one-night charge, but it's a two-night reservation....  The lowest non-pre-pay room rate is currently $362....  Hmmm]

I don't get it.  What does that mean?  If I book on points and later cancel, I don't get my points back?

But it says that it's gonna charge me money if I cancel...  ????

To make it (even) stranger .... it says: that the cost of the stay is 80,000 points, PLUS 5.00 USD - never seen that before.  Is the $5 fee new?

Any thoughts, ideas, insights????

- - - - -

OK - we have official clarification (below):

Re: Seen this?  Prepay/Nonrefundable ... With Points????

caratCommunity Manager Marriott AssociateSilver

Hi ssindc.  We'd like to shed some light.  If a member books on points and cancels the reservation before the cancellation period, the points are fully refunded and no fees are required.  However, if not canceled before the cancellation period they will be charged for one nights room rate, on their credit card.  The $5 fee you are seeing is for the room type of the booking, it is an upgrade fee.  Hope this helps, but feel free to let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks carat, for the prompt response. Knowledge is power!  [One more question: should we expect to see this more often in the future???]

So, in other words - with regard to this deal:

• there was a $5 upgrade fee - OK, fine, I don't mind paying $5 for a free room.  (I'm not sure I see the point, but that's OK)...
  • if you take this offer, you've got 24 hours to think about it...
  • you can have the room for points, BUT:
    • if you change your mind later, and don't make the trip/stay:
      • you get your points back, which is nice, BUT
      • you have to pay cash for one night's stay.

Fascinating.  I'd be curious to hear from someone - anyone - what's behind the policy.  Maybe some top notch pingreeman analysis is what's needed here....

• Frankly, I understand the 2-day before - rather than day before - cancellation policy.  The hotel shouldn't have to risk an empty room because I change my mind at the last minute. 
  • But, I'm assuming that this "offer" is available because there is high demand for the hotel, which means that - if I cancel - there is a good chance the hotel will get top dollar for the room.
  • Also, this seems to suggest that the points are "worthless" to the property/hotel.  But that's a story for another day...

Oh, well, live and learn....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Seen this?  Prepay/Nonrefundable ... With Points????
    seatexan Platinum

That is odd!  Is that the only option? Is there a non prepay in full rewards redemption?

Is it a resort?

I found this on Flyer Talk

Non-refundable award reservation? - FlyerTalk Forums

And this on our site where carat responded.

Marriott Rewards Redemption, prepay in full

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi ssindc.  We'd like to shed some light.  If a member books on points and cancels the reservation before the cancellation period, the points are fully refunded and no fees are required.  However, if not canceled before the cancellation period they will be charged for one nights room rate, on their credit card.  The $5 fee you are seeing is for the room type of the booking, it is an upgrade fee.  Hope this helps, but feel free to let us know if you have any questions.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Yes, but what if the cancellation period is only 24 hours from the moment of booking (non-refundable if cancelled more than 24 hours after booking)?  Will they lose their points?

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

pluto77

as I understand it ....

• you get 24 hours to cancel....
          • after 24 hours, IF you cancel, (1) you get your POINTS back, but (2) you get charged ($$$) for one night's stay...

I'm sure carat or deannad will clarify if I misunderstood.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Noticed the same language when I tried to use the members rate. in each case the restrictions were as you stated. This was a first for me . I chose not to book in either case. The savings were not substantial and penalty too severe

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Knowledge IS power!!   That saying is used quite often in my household, and I absolutely love it!!  

These Advanced Purchase Rates will be sticking around.  Also, the above mentioned cancellation policy is standard for any room whether it be points or cash, and very rarely is a member charged the $5 fee for redemption.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

If you are referring to the Advance Pay rate, that has been around for a few years. Most of the time the savings over the RACK rate is substantial, but better make sure you're going because you only have 24 hours to cancel.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

This one is new to me; I have no clue as to what these T&Cs are suggesting.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...