15 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2016 9:19 PM by dansplan RSS

All CMs *do* kinda work for Marriott - so everyone can avoid rumor mill

Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

All -

August 1, 2016

carat sent me a DM and I wanted to set the record straight - She has confirmed that she and the other Community Managers are all Marriott Employees trained by and employed by Marriott. Anything else you can bring to her attention indicating otherwise, I'm sure she will have corrected.

Let's all remember the many purposes of this site and give the CMs a chance to show us their "Spirit to Serve"

Thank you.

Respectfully,

dansplan

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: All CMs *do* kinda work for Marriott - so everyone can avoid rumor mill
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Have I missed something here? Who on this site is saying that the Mods are not Marriott staff?

And to what end?

And why do carat and her fellow moderators (who are still keeping surprisingly schtum on their TIPPLE intentions) only *kinda* work for Marriott. I'd say if they're trained by and employed by Marriott then they work for Marriott. Or do they have a second job? And why does their moonlighting at Wal-Mart/NYSE matter?

I have missed something haven't I?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

insertcoffee Platinum

I was wondering the same thing.  I've cruised over some rather heated remarks about the CMs, but I did not see something that overtly stated the thought was they were 'outsourced'.  Having said that, I've not consumed the entire corpus of work on MI, so my not seeing it certainly does not mean it isn't here -- somewhere.

I would venture the CMs have that role as an additional duty.  I'd imagine they do other things during the day for Marriott as well, and this is on top of that. Pure conjecture on my part.

Oh, lumme insertcoffee, I can't imagine moderating this forum is a full time job for 1, never mind our 6 moderators. I assume they're all social media reps for Marriott and this is one of their many briefs...

insertcoffee Platinum

I looked last night at the Twitter streams.  The MR stream has tweeters identified by a name (whether a pseudonym or not, who knows), none of which match those of our CMs.

I agree not a FT job being CM  and am sure the remit has many other duties. I had thought the Tw would be a natural, but at first blush, does not seem to be it.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I'm in agreement, brightlybob. None of that matters nor does is change the fact that this site is a forum primarily for us to communicate amongst ourselves, not a venue where we reach out to Marriott to resolve problems. The latter is sort of a bonus when it happens.

Several folks have bemoaned the fact that MRI is just social venue. One upset fellow (with crazy bugged-out eyes) described it as a "marketing vehicle that never intended to initiate change of improved conditions of its customers." Despite his obvious disdain in saying so, he is absolutely right.

Platinum

I agree 100% with your assessment bejacob  If it were clearer to new users what the purpose of the board was and and the role of the CMs was as well, I think we'd avoid the 'one and done" syndrome. Why not escalate the fine print to a headline.

I'd suggest a welcome message to new users to set expectations

peymanagement Platinum

dansplan I fail to see the relevance to your post. Who cares who the mods are employed by, be it Marriott direct employee or someone contracted, franchised or licensed? They do a good job and that is all that matters. I would venture that most Marriott people (almost all) we interact with are not employed by Marriott, but they are trained by Marriott, wear their uniforms and represent the best interest of Marriott and serve us well.

Do you have a point with your post?

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Well put peymanagement regarding this thread.  My guess is the only point with the post is that on other threads there have been some curious as to who employed the Mods and for the life of me I do not know why. 

Platinum

If you ran a company or worked as a contractor for one, you might appreciate the difference. I have no axe to grind and was simply passing on information that carat had sent once a few different members had messaged me first with semi-factual information. I don't expect to post anything else about it ever again.

This post also has 192 views and only a few comments, so I'd say some may care enough to read the post, and nothing more. Not a peep from me about this again, as I'll say one last time.

I am a self employed lawyer and regularly sub contract to lawyers as their chosen trial advocate for their clients cases and also run my own cases where I conduct the trial upon my clients behalf as well as prepping the paperwork. My preparation and attention to the trial is the same whether I've conducted from scratch or one upon which I'm briefed by a conducting lawyer. So I still don't see the point of the original allegation or the vehemence of the retraction... Not that I saw the original allegation anyway.

Curious little thread, this.

Platinum

brightlybob -  I'd like some pro bono law work please. I'll gladly explain the US side of contractor vs W-2 employee at same hourly rate, just not here. I like the CMs and it really doesn't matter what name is on their paycheck if they do the CM work - I agree.100%

Platinum

IAHFLYR If you ran the airline or flew for that many years, you certainly can appreciate differences/issues dealing with regional carriers, codeshares, and all of that. No matter the plane says Delta, United, American on the outside, your mileage may vary

Is it an exciting relevant topic? Maybe not. I was just clearing up a misconception by sharing what carat had sent me. I'm sure if you ask a lawyerly question stated "Are you W-2 employees of Marriott corporation or any of its operating companies" ....the answer will be absolutely "no"

It's not legal to represent yourself in the US as an employee and they have not done so, hence the "kinda"  OK - end of story I think,,,but think not really

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...