22 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2016 2:31 PM by homoviator RSS

Marriott Brands Welcome American Express

seatexan Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I was reading this months Travel + Leisure magazine when I saw these adds.

Maybe they were also in last months, but I didn't notice and I can't find the magazine to look through it.

1.png

2.png

3.png

Marriott is big on their card (we all know that ).  I also know that in the past Marriott has teamed up with Renaissance Hotels and American Express doing things like 20% off when you book a Ren Hotel with an American Express Card.  They have always accepted American Express as far as I know. It's what I used before I got my Marriott card, but now seeing 3 of the brands openly welcoming American Express is exciting. So maybe the SPG American Express card won't be for nothing.  These hotels are also more on the trendy techie side...up and coming!

I know in the past I have said I don't think I would be much of a Moxy goer, but I just might have to try the one in Nola. Your check in is at the bar!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Brands Welcome American Express
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Thanks for sharing, SeaTexan!! 

Check in at the bar??  Well that sounds like it would be perfect for some of our Insiders!!  May make getting to your room a bit of a challenge though. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Check-in at the bar, that's my kind of hotel...

Um, millenials, millenials... Where have you all gone???

YogiB Platinum

I suppose I count as one of the 'older' millennials? (1986)

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

I hope that this is not an indication of Marriott moving away from their relationship with the Chase Marriott card!!!

seatexan Platinum

No, I would not think so.  American Express is not as widely accepted. 

Platinum

Right - just look what just happened with Costco

seatexan Platinum

You mean Costco no longer taking American Express?

Platinum

seatexan Platinum

thanks.

Platinum

Sure - something tells me if you have an Amex, you're like all of the other Amex cardholders - you also have a least one Visa.

seatexan Platinum

Honestly, I wouldn't have a visa if it were not for United or Marriott being tied to Chase.  And I have only had them about 2 years. 

When I encounter a business that won't take Amex, I don't shop there again (even tho I do have a visa now).  If Marriott had refused Amex, I bet I would be at another hotel chain.  I know I would as my mom would not have stayed at Marriott if they didn't take Amex. She ingrained Marriott into me.  We would be tied to some other brand.  Now of course that is different. They can refuse it as I have their Visa card, same with United.  If they left Chase...that would be a whole new struggle to decide if I would keep them.  Then I just might be back down to my one little CC.

Ohh wait... ha there is still that chase visa debt.  Guess not technically a CC... but I would have that.

We got a Costco in Lafayette VERY recently.  I'll have to pass now after ditching American Express. Besides, what am I going to do with a year supply of alfredo sauce by Chef's Banquet.

Those links were good reads tho!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Have used AX for over thirty years as many higher end merchants initially didn't take  Visa or MC. But with Costco going to Visa I likely will not renew any AX . At least 25% of merchants in New Hampshire don't take AX due to the higher fees. Also  they charge a conversion fee on international transactions. They lost almost 10% of their volume when they lost Costco

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

Years ago a Friend worked at a company that had them use Diner Club as the credit card for all business travel. it worked well for airlines, rental cars and hotels, but at restaurants, its was so often not accepted that my friend referred to it as the "I'm sorry" card because he would hear that phrase so often at restaurants.

YogiB Platinum

Interesting... Costco Canada only accepts MasterCard.

And that's only recently, before they only accepted debit cards!

WalMart (Canada?) is also ditching Visa.

702rugbyref Platinum

I entirely suspect this has to do with the SPG merger. Great observation!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Top spot SeaTexan, pretty sure this has a lot to do with SPG.

As for AMEX, well although MasterCard and Visa are accepted almost everywhere in the UK, AMEX is very spotty. I do accept AMEX but I probably only take one or two AMEX payments a year. It certainly wouldn't be possible to use only AMEX here in the UK.

Jsucool76 Gold

Amex is really nothing special. A lot of people carry Amex cards because it was cool back in the day, and many people my age think it's still super exclusive and you're awesome if you have an Amex card. My Amex plat only gets used if there is a good Amex offer out. I signed up for the 100k points offer a few months back, transferred those to virgin, and obtained 75000 true blue Miles for doing so. I think my YTD spend on Amex is like... 1500$  will likely close it when the next fee is due.

I find I get better customer service from other banks. Plus the plat card has a terrible rewards structure. I don't know why the standard gold card still exists. It is basically the same as the premier rewards gold card now, except it is (technically) more expensive than the PRG.

702rugbyref Platinum

With you on this. I rarely use my AMEX. Better points opportunity with other cards.

seatexan Platinum

I just checked the Freddie Awards - I am sure they were posted on here somewhere, but:

Credit Card

Best Loyalty Credit Card — Starwood – Starwood Preferred Guest from American Express

That was for this year.  It also won in some years past.

I am definitely interested on what will happen with this card.  I do love my American Express, but I have a feeling this American Express Card will be dropped from the over all program. 

Can hotels have 2 reward cards?

Jsucool76 Gold

They could pull what Barclay's did with the AA/US merger, which was simply convert all their US Air cards into American cards. Hopeful they do this with Marriott starwood.

Plus the US Air cards had a fantastic sign up bonus for like 2 months so Barclay's could grab some extra customers.

homoviator Platinum

I thought I was a Moxy fan, but I think I'm realizing I'm more of a Ren fan. I just like the more open space of the Rens. Maybe I'm getting older, but my last stay at a Moxy was full of a bunch of drunk louts that took up the entire lobby. Having a little too much fun.  Even if that happens at a Ren, which is is less likely with 10-15 drinks ;-), there's somewhere to escape besides your room.  I'm not sure, but I feel like bejacob helped convince me to give one a try and I've never looked back.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...