25 Replies Latest reply: Dec 8, 2016 5:10 PM by jimmyt73 RSS

Fresh Bites - not a "success"

private001 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Sitting right now eating out of a paper bag at marriott marquie on Time square in New York.  - It is new and called "fresh bites" and it sucks..

It is paperbages, no substitution, wiered food with names that nobody can pronounce. Gone is simple items like the marriott burger. Nor can you have an omelette, toast or even a pot of coffee for breakfast. instead you are forced to try to eat "Solovaki, Bamsetti, riata, brioche, paco, baby-bak choy, Sciriacha, tzatziki, Eli & Ali, Passion Curd, Ailoli, on food that cannot be pronounced, nor understood (reading from the menu). Everythning is served in paper bags, with paper and plastic mugs, and plastic untensils like at McDonalds; even though you are paying $350+ per night for real service.

No substitioin is allowed, so if you don't like cheddar cheese and a biroche bun, you cannot get a bruger. This is a horrible ruch -to the bottom of fast food service.  After 850+ nights loving Marriott, this is what I get???  Please stop this **** and bring back real food, for real people, even if you have to charge me more..    this is NOT what we expect from Marriott..

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Fairfield Inn, Marriott
marriott marquie
  • Re: Fresh Bites - not a "success"
    ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Yuck. That doesn't sound like an enhancement at all and more like a downgrade.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

markzz2 Platinum 1 Reviews

I have just experienced Fresh Bites too. What a complete disaster.

Clearly some university graduates in an office somewhere have come up with this "enhanced room delivery service" without any thought to the actual customers that would normally use room service.

The menu is small...... very small. The food is delivered in a paper bag full of little plastic pots and containers. I was refused an iced water and given a cup of ice that I was told to fill from the tap (or a bottle at $7).

The price was the same as I used to pay for full service.

I travel alot (1300 nights Plat Lifetime) and have used room service probably on half of those nights. I use room service because IU am fed up of plastic this and that on the road and if I get to my room late and after a long day I want to treat myself to a proper meal with a proper plate. Fresh Bites just doers not meet my needs now.

So Marriott. You have cheesed off another "easily pleased" regular guest who will now ask when booking whether room service is traditional or Fresh Bites. I will choose another property whenever I can if there is no proper room service. I don't care any more about loyalty as you have just gone too far. They say it is environmentally friendly blah blah. NO , it saves you money while still charging me the same room rate.

I don't often use bellmen, valet parking, laundry services etc, but I appreciated they are there when I do need them! How long before they are gone in the interest of cost cutting!

What part of "full service" does Marriott not understand?

A romantic dinner on my balcony in a resort hotel............. hmmm no longer as bags and plastic will not work for me!

tonyk Platinum

Fresh Bites is a huge swing and a miss.  What I want from a "Full Service" property is "Full Service".  If I wanted awful choices for food I would have booked into a Courtyard and choked down some microwaved Bistro food.

Rethink this approach please Marriott.

natecann Platinum

I have to add my voice to those disgusted with Fresh Bites.

Can't get a glass of water with my meal??!!

Eating a steak with plastic cutlery.

The opening post summed it up perfectly... Some new graduate with a "brilliant" idea.

Who the hell serves ice cream in a plastic take out container? It was melted before I finished my cold pizza. No salt and pepper. No condiments.

No idea how the gratuity was calculated. Had to pay cash to the delivery guy so can't expense it. No receipt for the expense report detail where my firm requires break-out between room, food and drink.

WORST. IDEA. EVER.!!

Lifetime Platinum. Too many nights to care anymore.

insertcoffee Platinum

I've spoken to two GMs of Full Service properties and both of them have said the same thing:  they don't like FB either. Most guests hate it, it costs the property *more* than a standard FS menu, it generates an incredible amount of garbage that guests either keep in their room or throw in the hallway where it leaks all over and is much more unsightly than room service trays, and on and on.

I wasn't really aware of the receipt issue before,, and that is an excellent point.

If I have to have take away containers, plastic cutlery, and wait that long for dinner, I'd rather just order something delivered from a 'real' restaurant. The problem is that often it is too late to order from restaurants, especially in cities that button up early during the week, or locations that have fewer delivery options in the first place.

Not pleased.

What do SPG properties have? Perhaps this is an opportunity to try out their FS hotels-- and room service.

markzz2 Platinum 1 Reviews

Well having just given Fresh Bites another chance (not through choice but necessity due to a late arrival at a city hotel when `i was very tired and hungry and needed a bit of comfort food and felt like spooling myself). The food took 30 minutes (so no quicker than standard room service), it arrived in the bag cold with the salad warm as it was sat on top of what was the hot food.

This has now become a game changer for me. I want a full service hotel and thats what I am paying for ($300+ a night). I refuse to eat off plastic again and now will be specifically asking whether fresh bites is my only choice. If so I will find another property that has proper full service in room dining. I have had enough ion people telling me this is what people want. Its not what I want and I have a choice. Marriott no longer serve me well and seem happy to see me take my Platinum Lifetime and 1200 nights somewhere else.

insertcoffee Platinum

Concur.  It is now another question to add to the list when booking. 'Do you have real room service?'

Perhaps AndrewT or one of the moderators could provide a list of FS US properties with Fresh Bites or a list of those still providing 'real' room service.

Does anyone know what FS SPG hotels provide? It can't [yet] be FreshBites or those SPG people would not be so enraptured.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

FB sounds awful.  I hope that I don't run into it.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Well I'll simply order in from Dominos, they give a receipt too!

aqua Platinum

Recent stay in Gaithersburg , Md. Loved the

Marriott hotel facility and thought we would try

try their new "fresh bites " menu. Think again !

Such poor quality food we threw the package away.

The salad lettuce was was literally brown

and the chicken pieces almost cracked my

tooth and could not even be cut using the plastic

cutlery , but the  piece de resistance was the pasta -

so mushy it appeared to be some kind soup, or was it recycled

ppasta?

WIll likely skip this hotel next time and stay in DC.

Hope our moderators can obtain a list of

hotels that have the " fresh bites " menu so we can avoid those

Marriotts !!!!!

insertcoffee Platinum

I requested one from this year from AndrewT and he has not responded to the request.

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

Had the FB experience at Marriott Long Wharf in Boston. Thought I would try it. Sub par, and not good. Next night, I called legal sea food (it is across the courtyard and motor court, less than a 2 min walk), place an order, picked it up, and even with plastic cutlery it was great. Asked the Legal Seafood team and they said they have more biz from the Marriott since they made the FB change, so Marriott, you are now losing revenue, have lost me as ever staying at this property again and hope you change from FB soon. I had another issue with the property with the "keyless entry" which is supposed to work from my phone which didn't. Also, no upgrade for me (see my other post on the upgrade thread), so all in, this hotel was a total fail, and from now on, with SPG, I can stay at a SPG property and reciprocal platinum and hope for better.

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Sounds frustrating, stelzer001,

If you'd like to send me a direct message with your Rewards number and the reservation number for this stay, I'd be happy to pass your comments along to the appropriate team for review.

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

MY reservation number was 9394447 . Stay was 9/6/16 to 9/8/16.

I sent you my MR# via DM, so please confirm you have what you need

insertcoffee Platinum

When you can get great food at the airport at BOS, it is sad that you had poor food experience at the hotel-- but with LSF across the street, I wouldnt be ordering anything from room service anyway.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Good to know. I took a weekend trip to Boston with my wife in 2013. I have been looking to return for another trip at some point. I stayed at the Westin on that trip and it was a very nice hotel. The Marriott Long Wharf room rates were insane at the time so I didn't stay. The fact it's a Category 9 also makes me laugh. That means you can never use a Chase cert there, and if they think I am going to spend 45K points on a standard room in Boston they are crazy. I can get much better value of points in other locations, even Hawaii for instance.  

elsanoreast Gold

I joined this forum just to comment on this.  I am Gold and I've started my fall travel season and just encountered my first "Fresh Bites" menu at Bethesda North Marriott.  Who the hell came up with this ****?  Check in, look for RS menu, find "Fresh Bites" instead.  OK, call RS, am told they do not have my normal order there (crab cake sandwich), so I'm not happy but go for the plain crab cakes.  No substitutions, must have French fries which is deal breaker for me.  The lady on the phone tells me if I want that I have to go to the LOBBY BAR AND PICK IT UP.  What the hell???  This is supposedly a full service hotel and I have to go to the lobby bar to get my dinner and take it back up to my room in a plastic container, steaming all the way.  Plastic cutlery.  Squeezy packets of ketchup.  What a joke.  Not cool.  Guess what Marriott?  There are a whole bunch of restaurants at Rose & Pike right behind hotel and that's where I'll be going from now on.  There's a McDonald's across the damn street where I can get a similar meal for 1/4 of the price.  This is a joke.  The hipster who sold you this as the way to go needs to be canned.  I want a plate, cutlery and a freakin' glass of damn water. I want to be CIVILIZED.  Hate this.

erc Platinum

Well, if ever there was a case of customer opinion altering Marriott action, Fresh Bites would seem to be the prototype.  What might be more newsworthy would be an example of a Fresh Bite success. This feedback has certainly taught me if faced with a Fresh Bites option; pass until at least, someone, somewhere has reported of a satisfactory outcome - haven't seen one yet (google Fresh Bites and there's even a Ripoff Report filed).

Here's seven pages of similar to Insiders thoughts from FlyerTalk

Enhanced Room Service "Fresh Bites" from Marriott - FlyerTalk Forums

Hey, remember in 2013 when Marriott had all that publicity about their Travel Brilliantly campaign and their first winner was a Food Healthy Vending Machine? That was awesome! (he said, tongue in cheek)

http://travel-brilliantly.marriott.com/your-ideas/eat-and-drink/eea9dm

deadend Chris Farley - Remember that Time it snowed? That was awesome!

Keep on keepin' on Insiders, and thanks for the heads up- NO FRESH BITES for me

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I agree, erc if I'm staying at a full service hotel and paying room service prices I want food made in the hotel and served to my room on proper crockery with real eating irons. If I want a takeaway I can call one in, Dominos provides a receipt and the ice cream in a plastic container that melts during the delivery process for a fraction of the fresh bites prices.

I can see why room service is becoming a drain on hotels balance sheets though, with more and more food outlets, there's usually something close by the hotel and many choose that rather than overpriced room service. So the problem is paying for a short order chef to be in the kitchen all night to,prepare fewer and fewer meals is becoming uneconomic. Certainly food from a nearby kitchen could be the solution but it needs to be delivered steaming hot to the room on proper plates and with the cutlery. Such an arrangement might not be that profitable for the hotel but it maintains the room service whilst dispensing with the costs of keeping the kitchen open all night...

elsanoreast Gold

OK, it's been 24 hours and I've caved in and tried "Fresh Bites" at the urging of my convention services manager, who said she really enjoys it and encouraged me to give it a go.  So I did.

I got the Mushroom Ravioli and a Cake Love dessert.  The ravioli was surprisingly delicious (and HUGE - I couldn't finish it).  I was very happy with the taste, speed and temperature (it was HOT).  The "Cake Love" dessert though was not so successful, it was extremely small - approximately 2 x 2.5 inch jar with cake and icing in it, tasted OK but it was $7 - extremely bad value for money.

The cutlery was high quality plastic and it was delivered with a smile.  I got a receipt in the bag too for expenses.

All in all I was happy with the entrée, disappointed with the dessert but did miss my tray, plate and cutlery.  I felt like I had gotten takeout from Brio or similar.  It was OK, I would do it again in a pinch but I miss my room service glamour.

elsanoreast Gold

OK, tried it again since I have limited time during conference lunch break.  Grilled cheese is horrible.  Apparently a grilled cheese here is two pieces sourdough with three pieces of 1/4 melted cheese.  The bread is barely toasted in a toaster.  No butter.  So awful.  Chips that come with it are blah.  Don't do it.  This menu is so hit or miss, and it shouldn't be - sad.

erc Platinum

As the Who sang, Won't Get Fooled Again. Thanks for sharing.

flagirl01 Silver

Glad I'm not the only one who's disappointed in Fresh Bites.  When traveling and staying in 4 or 5 star hotels, we always like to order a pot of morning coffee to be brought in a real insulated pot, with cups and saucers (or at least mugs), real spoons, etc.  While at a Tampa Marriott last week, the coffee arrived in a card board box that was handed to me at the door in a "go bag."  When I tried to dispense it into the paper cups, coffee went everywhere.  There were no napkins in the go bag.  I had also ordered a "glass" of skim milk.  What I got was a warm carton of milk.  And the kicker is that it was more expensive than regular room service used be!  I'll not stay in another Marriott using the Fresh Bite model. 

jimmyt73 Platinum

I just had my first Fresh Bites experience.  Stuck in my room through lunch doing conference calls.  Couldn't run out to grab any thing. 

The Cobb Salad wasn't bad.  Could have used more dressing.  My wife and doctor would probably have disagreed and said I need *less* dressing but I digress...  It's was a "chopped" Cobb salad.  Wasn't what I was expecting.  For a salad served in a plastic box though, it was pretty good.

The chips and guac were another story.  I do love my chips and guac and I was horrified by the guacamole served by FB.  It was brown and runny. The flavor was more lemon meringue pie than chopped up avocados.  It was sweet and lemony.  I gave it a fair shot.  I tried 3 bites but the flavor was just too much.

Gonna walk to Chipotle next time.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...