26 Replies Latest reply: Aug 5, 2016 9:26 AM by AndrewT RSS

Lack of Promotions in 2016

rrikor Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I got platinum status last year and noticed a lot of promotions.  Since I passed that milestone I have noticed a lack of promotions to sign up for.  The only promotion I have gotten is to travel to south america.  Is it simply my platinum status that has caused Marriott to stop sending me individual promotions?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Lack of Promotions in 2016
    seatexan Platinum

That is odd.  You have not gotten this one yet? Sign into your acct before you click or it might just give you the log in page.

2016 Summer Global Promotion

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/promotion.mi?promotion=SB16

Earn up to 12,000 bonus points — and get a chance to win our summer sweepstakes.*

See Details

Earn with your exclusive member offer — and as a Marriott Rewards® Credit Cardmember, get an extra 2,000 points. It’s easy:

• Register by September 5, 2016
    • Stay** at participating properties between May 24 and September 5, 2016
    • Earn 2,000 bonus points on every paid stay, starting with your second stay, up to 10,000 bonus points
    • Get an extra 2,000 points after your 6th stay just for being a Marriott Rewards Credit Cardmember

Enter our sweeps when you register, and again with every night you stay: 100 members will win 100,000 points – for a total of 10 million points.

*See Official Sweepstakes Rules, including how to earn additional entries without completing a stay. Chase Bank USA, N.A. is not responsible for offer fulfillment or the provision of or failure to provide the stated benefits and services.

**A "stay" is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity. See Terms & Conditions for more details.

Members get it: Sweeps, bonus points and member rates. This is your summer for sweet rewards.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

rrikor Platinum

I have seen this one but when I click on it, it says I can not register.  I have not been able to sign up for any of the mega bonuses.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi rrikor.  Apologies for the frustration this has caused!  Would you mind sending me a direct message with your Rewards number?  I'd like to make sure you are registered for the Summer Promotions. 

rrikor Platinum

I ended up calling in and they registered me through the phone. 

buckeyefever Platinum

I have achieved this promo, however in my account, where it use to show the history of promotions, this does not show up and it is asking me to register again.  To see what might happen, I tried to register again, but was unable to do so, thus the system must have recognized I had already registered.

tjr0806 Platinum

I Tried to sign up for this one too. It said I was not eligible to register also. Maybe there is a glitch and it won't let platinum members register for it?

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Actually there have been more promotion days this year. The promos haven't been as good as in past years in terms of the number of points available, but we've been in promo mode more than not this year. So far we've only had 25 days when there were no promotions running

From Jan 1 to present, we've had

2015 Fall MegaBonus with started last fall and ran thru Jan 15.

No bonus from Jan 15 - Jan 31 (17 days)

2016 Spring MegaBonus stated Feb 1 and ran thru May 15

No bonus from May 16 - May 23 (8 days)

2016 Global Promotion started May 24 and runs thru Sept 5

Looking ahead, we can guess what to expect based on past years. Obviously, nothing is guaranteed, but the Fall MegaBonus has been pretty reliable.  Dates may not be exactly as in previous years, but it's highly likely it will appear around the middle of September. Following that assumption, here's what's coming.

No bonus from Sept 6 to Sept 14? (9? days)

If the 2016 Fall MegaBonus runs as usual (Sept 15 - Jan 15) we'll end the year with only 34 days when there was no active promotion. For folks outside the US, it's even shorter as a double elite night offers runs from June 6 to Dec 31 which would bring the number back down to 25 days.

So, no there are not fewer promotions in 2016.

peymanagement Platinum

bejacob and SeaTexan  I am not sure but rrikor may be talking about is elite bonus' as opposed to the two or three mega bonus that happens through the year. One thing that I have noticed since the new members rate has been introduced is what I perceive as less members elite bonus on individual stay. for example I got 5000 bonus points a night last fall in Vegas at the Ren. I watch these deals all the time and find that they are down to non existent.

You may be right peymanagement, though the original post did mention "a lack of promotions to sign up for." To me (and SeaTexan) that implies MegaBonus or the like.

Platinum

Thank you bejacob  - This was very helpful. This at least gives folks the math upon which to base their conclusions, and it may show that what feels like "not enough" is actually very generous, depending on the type of travel plans one has for the year and years ahead. We need more fact based analysis like this and less hoping, wondering, and possibly jumping to conclusions not based on facts. Thanks again - I mean that most sincerely.

I've certainly shared plenty of opinions on this site.

I prefer to share facts. While It's not always possible, it's always preferable.

rrikor Platinum

For some reason the Spring one did not show up on my promotions page.  I did not take any trips in the Spring so it wasn't a big deal.  The summer one also did not show up until I clicked the link here.  Even then I had to call to register as it would not do it on the website.  Fortunately, the registration is retroactive so my previous stays will count towards it.

For the Elite promotions I have only gotten one this year and it was go go to Africa. 

YogiB Platinum

There is also currently a Double Elite Nights promo running until December 31st, but only for non-USA members.

Get Rewards in the express lane. Earn Double Elite Night Credits for every paid stay, worldwide.

Here’s how to boost your status:

• Register* by September 30, 2016
      • Stay at participating properties between June 06, 2016 and December 31, 2016
      • Earn Double Elite Night Credits on every night for each paid stay** worldwide

Elite Night Credits are your path to Elite status – the more you have, the higher your status level.

Remember to include your Rewards number and book direct on Marriott.com

* Offer valid only for Marriott Rewards members who joined by April 8, 2016 and reside outside of the U.S. See Terms & Conditions

** A “stay” is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/checkout activity.

Hi rrikor.  Sounds like you aren't able to see these promotions listed in your account and because of this, I'd like to provide some support.   I've gone ahead and sent you a direct message. 

yat Platinum

Hi, I also don't see this promotion below, perhaps because I recently relocated to outside the US, how could I register for this if possible?

Regards

YAT

Get Rewards in the express lane. Earn Double Elite Night Credits for every paid stay, worldwide.

Here’s how to boost your status:

• Register* by September 30, 2016
        • Stay at participating properties between June 06, 2016 and December 31, 2016
        • Earn Double Elite Night Credits on every night for each paid stay** worldwide

Elite Night Credits are your path to Elite status – the more you have, the higher your status level.

Remember to include your Rewards number and book direct on Marriott.com

* Offer valid only for Marriott Rewards members who joined by April 8, 2016 and reside outside of the U.S. SeeTerms & Conditions

YogiB Platinum

I suppose that this will be a case for MR customer service.

If it would pop up that easily, people would change the country of residence in their profile all the time to get extra promotions.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I don't think that would work at all.  Your Marriott Rewards number is all that is needed for Marriott to know exactly where you live, and therefore which promotions apply.

yat Platinum

Hi all,

What a lively forum for a newbie (yet 15year Marriott loyal customer and plat the last two) member!

Thank you for all the responses! Hope I can contribute back with my experiences soon!

I did call MR customer Service but once more they were not able to help out unfortunately, seems to me that the reservations teams are much better in helping out!

I was told that this like some other promotions, are not open to all but to a few select members only, it is targeted promotion and if I was among those selected I would have received an email inviting me.

To which I responded that I hear this but probably no, there are chances in my case even if "qualified" otherwise they would not have invited me as my address was not up to date so that would have ruled me out. So what now that I corrected this, can I please join or reconsider and what are the selection rules?

The response was that they don't know the selection rules and when I asked some more that they are not disclosed even if known... but I may still be considered as it runs through September.

So having already planned travel with some 20 upcoming nights in August I am wondering myself if canceling them all in favor of another hotel group might trigger a consideration? Or booking even more for the next round of travels in September would work better?

Any other insider info or experiences how these work and are they to reward or penalize the loyal and motivate those who are not that much?

YogiB Platinum

If there is anything that I've learned from North American customer service: if the CSR can't make something happen, always ask to talk with a supervisor; either they can make your case move to the right departement or they are so unwilling to talk to you that they will tell the CSR (how) to give what you want

chobbits Platinum

For those of you who don't travel that much, I think the double elite nigh promo is fantastic to get you into gold or platinum. Gold status for 25 nights ?

Do the double nights rollover too ? If that's the case im easily going to be platinum again for the next 2 years.

Hi Chobbits.  Any and all Elite nights will rollover.  Sounds like you can settle in and enjoy your Platinum status!  

mah249 Platinum

I would have to agree with you and the whole promotional comment/s being down or changed from a few years ago. It is unfortunate but all business are doing it. I use to look forward to see what kind of challenges or rewards they were offering but I rarely get on and check anymore because its a disappointment or dosen't apply to me.

M

shari514 Platinum

I agree.  I made Plat this year and have only had one promotion available to me,it was for travel in the South Pacific.  The other promotions  and Mega Bonus etc 1) I get a message I am not eligible or 2) it is not listed at all.  Kind of disappointing :-(

Hi shari514.  So sorry to hear of this disappointment.  Currently there is a glitch on our website with is not allowing members to see the promotions listed properly.  I'd like to make sure you are registered for all eligible promotions and have sent you a direct message for additional details.

smilezaton Platinum

Hi!  At least I am not alone.  I too am a Platinum member and have noticed that I have not been able to sign up for some of the offered promotions (i.e. shari514).  I too tried to register today for the Summer 2016 Global Promotion and received the ...there was an error in directing you to this promotion" message.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could help me out and make sure that I too am registered for all eligible promotions.

Thanks!

Peter

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Just sent you a direct message; happy to assist you from there.

Thanks

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...